Wakefield Accontink Lake Loop Trail

Wakefield Accontink Lake Loop Trail is a 7.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Annandale, Virginia that features a lake. The trail is good for all skill levels offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

This is a 4 to 5.3 mile loop depending on where you start. From Wakefield Park off Braddock in Annandale, the trail follows the Cross County Trail to Lake Accontink and then around the lake to make a loop. This 5.3 mile loop has many access points which would shorten the loop to about four miles. The path is a mix of packed dirt and gravel so it does not get very muddy when it's wet. Most of the route has reduced sun exposure due to the trees and there is water and a vending machine at Lake Accontink during the summer. This trail is also good for bikes, birding, trail running and strollers. It is heavily used due to the proximity to residential areas (thus the 3-stars) and because it's a beautiful trail. During the winter, I've seen fox, waterfowl and woodpeckers and possibly an osprey. I've seen quite a few birders so the variety must be good. If you pull up the map, you'll see there are access points around the loop and the trail can be extended up through Wakefield Park on the CCT (Cross County Trail), south from the Lake Accontink dam along the CCT or northwest across the Braddock Road overpass to the Long Branch Park Trail.

Nice park. I liked the wide paved path at the beginning. I ran the 8 mile loop, got a little confused in the neighborhood parts but managed not to veer off trail. I still prefer Burke/Mercer lakes to this one, maybe it’s bc I’m used to them.. It was a tough call. The day I ran (in early Feb) there were not many people which was a huge plus over Burke lake, but it was also a week day. I won’t trail run here again bc it’s too far for me and once was enough.

My kids and I walk here all of the time! 7.8 miles is a bit of an overstatement though...

Wednesday, March 16, 2016