Wahrani Loop Trail

Wahrani Loop Trail is a 3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Lanexa, Virginia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A relatively unknown park maintained by the County, Wahrani has changed hands over the years and been re-blazed several times to the point that the markers are very confusing. There are lots of cut-throughs as well, so not getting turned around your first time there is part of the charm/challenge. Luckily you're never so far from Rt-33/30 that you can't figure out how to get back to the parking area just by listening carefully.

Good and fun!

Awesome. Go passed the power lines to find Legendary Trail D.

I go there about once a week. It's great with the tree cover. If you get a late start in the morning and the sun is all the way up, not a problem. The trees keep the cool in. Nice clean air.

A pretty little hike! I took a little boy I babysit and we had a blast. Perfect for beginners. The trail isn't very well marked, but has been improved since my first visit. There are benches along the trail as well as swings and a play area for kids at the front of the park.

Sunday, November 08, 2015

What an incredible walk in the woods. Don't trust the blazes but do bring electronic navigation and a good old fashioned compass for backup. The route is obstructed by blow-down and overgrowth in places. (If I did it right) It was too late in the year for wild flowers or flowering trees, but I saw evidence that they exist here. The trail is listed as 279 feet of elevation gain, but I think it was a lot more. Even though it was a Sunday, I did not pass any other hikers. There was very light rain for a few minutes so maybe that is why.

Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Not marked very well, but if you walk far enough there is a few graves. Very nice, non strenuous hike.

Monday, March 30, 2015

Great little hidden jewel of a park. While the blaze markers should just be ignored, they are so confusing, once you get your bearings here there's a lot to enjoy.

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Horrible. Not marked or well kept.

Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Beautiful park if you're looking to get lost in the woods. No real scenic views, just a beautiful dense forest. There was a light rain and I barely got wet. Very difficult to navigate with poor markings, but small enough that you won't get truly lost. There is a gravesite for Captain John Long, an 18th century sea captain, but after 2 hours walking around, I never did find it . Maybe next time. It's supposed to have a trail for mountain biking, but none of the trails I found myself on seemed appropriate for it.

Saturday, November 03, 2012

Decent enough trail, but it was not very well marked on the backside, which resulted in me having to bushwhack for a few hundred feet until I found another trail to follow.

Saturday, July 07, 2012

Sunday, June 05, 2011

A miniature rollercoaster with plenty of little valleys and hills. Not a bad primer for someone building themselves up for the AT.