Veach Gap Trail is a 8.1 mile out and back trail located near Fort Valley, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,456 feet Route Type: Out & Back

I’ve hiked or run this trail over 40 times and almost always enjoy it. I usually go right on the Massanutten but about 1:4 of the time I follow the Veech Gap trail north as it’s depicted in All Trails. I’ve kept a bird list and have seen or heard over 60 species over the years. Some of my favorites are the barred owls that nest at the gap, the ravens that croak and play, and worm-eating warblers that are plentiful from May-July. Running the trail is difficult in some rocky areas. Take it easy coming back.

Pretty good backpacking / hiking trail. I think it would be rated higher but there is not water source by the campsite / lookout so if you backpack, bring tons of water. Another issue is that the all trails map shows the trail going further than it actually is. The campsite and overlook are about 3.5 miles in. Lastly, make sure to take a LEFT when you reach the intersection with Massanutten Trail.

I LOVED THIS HIKE! There was a little something of everything. The hike started out on a wide gravel path but became more organic. It had rained the previous days so the trail was pretty muddy but that just added to how awesome it was. There are several areas that require you to cross “streams” and even areas where the trail is more water and rock than dirt. The trail was well blazed. The overlook was nice however it was obstructed by the trees and there wasn’t really a sit and chill place. I scrambled up the incline to get some overlook picture but I imagine winter and early Spring have an amazing view. I would definitely do this hike again and absolutely recommend it to someone who is looking for a solid moderate hike!

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Backpacked this trail a couple of years ago, it was a nice trail but it rained almost the whole time, so it wasn't as nice as it would have been

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Correction to earlier comments: After reviewing additional maps, I see it is not possible to hike the trail North on Massanutten Mountain. It doesn't exist. Sorry.

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Drive down Ft. Valley (from Front Royal) and go about 5 mi or so....hang left at Veach Gap street sign. (38.87618 -78.37623) Drive to the end of the road. Go right at the fork. Park in the lot at the dead end. The trail is marked yellow until it meets up with the Massanutten Trail. I was a bit confused where the trail crosses the stream as I didn't see trail markings.....cross and continue on the dry part of the stream bed. When you reach the Massanutten trail hang a left and continue until you reach the ridge. It's a very moderate incline....not difficult. Parts of the trail were muddy. A few other hikers but mostly had the trail to myself. I did this first then did Meneka Trail.

Saturday, January 27, 2018