Union Mill and Bull Run Occoquan Trail Loop

Union Mill and Bull Run Occoquan Trail Loop is a 3.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Manassas, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.6 miles Elevation Gain: 308 feet Route Type: Loop

the trails are not well marked. it was ok once I figured it out.

Nice trail near the water. It has some rocks to walk on and over which can be slippery.

Great trail but got lost a little because we ended up on the yellow trail and missed a whole loop. Will try again....

Great afternoon hike with the pup. Beautiful by the river. Little overgrown and slightly muddy but to be expected. Slight elevation when going blue trail to red trail. Also, red trailhead not very apparent. Busy and lots of dogs.

Hot, but most is in the shade. Nice trail when it’s not muddy.

almost stepped on a big snake the size of my wife's wrists.

Did this trail with my daughter. It was very nice especially by the river. We added the little dog leg part that had some of the densest forest I’ve seen around here. It was almost dark. Really nice day and perfect weather. Great trail for a quick hike or with the little ones!

AllTrails unreports the distance for this loop. My Withings Steel HR recorded 4.0 miles.

Nice short trail right next to a small river/creek. Not too challenging but enough to break a light sweat!

I do not believe the distance listed is correct; I clocked in around a little over 2 miles. Trail follows a river almost the entire way. I encountered many people fishing in the river. The trail is pretty secluded. At about the halfway point there is a really neat concrete out-posting that juts out over the river; didn't get a chance to take a closer look because some kids were loitering and smoking. Fairly easy trail with a steep climb at the end, if you start at the trail head on the side of the winery. Part of the trail was literally climbing over rocks right on the edge of the river, so be careful.

Trail was well marked on the blue and also well marked on the yellow. BUT I some how lost the yellow markers. I ended up walking out of my he parking lot of Adventure Links. Nice babbling water and song birds.

I didn’t do the full loop, but a leisurely walk down and over and up again did the trick for today! Note to AllTrails apps users, the tracking for the mileage is off and shorter than what you actually walked. My Apple Watch tracked more accurately!

The stream, rocks and elevation changes were interesting enough to keep 10 year old entertained.

Saturday, July 07, 2018

I usually add a couple more miles of the blue Bull Run trail to this but overall a fun little run. Make sure to study the map beforehand, the trailblazes are tricky the first time you go on it. Gets quite muddy after rain but on sunny days it is nice! This trail mostly follows the creek. There are some rocks and a semi-steep uphill climb at the very end—depending which way you start. Pretty busy on the weekends.

Thursday, June 14, 2018

First hike of the summer with 6 tween/teens. Great hike. They didn’t love the uphill climb at the northern most point, but they all made it!!

Saturday, April 14, 2018

I wouldn’t say this trail is “easy” because it is quite rocky in some parts. But it’s a lovely trail and we enjoyed it- myself, my 4yo and my pup.

Friday, April 06, 2018

Nice short hiking trail. Muddy and buggy(both from water I guess) but has great small mountain-like trail and scenery.

Friday, October 27, 2017

Gorgeous park and hiking trails! Scenic natural beauty is abundant here. After a vigorous hike, I love to visit Paradise Springs Springs Winery which is walking distance from the Yates Ford Road parking lot.

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

My dogs love this trail. Some deer, foxes, squirrels, and water fowl. Depending on the weather it can be muddy or hard. Rocks in part. It is connected to the larger trail system of the Regional Park from Bull Run Park to Fountain Head (19 miles). I would call easy with moderate for some of the hills if wet.

Saturday, September 09, 2017

amazing trail. lots of fun, wildlife, water

Thursday, September 07, 2017

very nice trails not well marked at all very easy to get lost.

Sunday, August 27, 2017

great hike, but the trail isn't well marked and it's very easy to get lost and end up on private property