Union Mill and Bull Run Occoquan Trail Loop

Union Mill and Bull Run Occoquan Trail Loop is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Manassas, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Gorgeous park and hiking trails! Scenic natural beauty is abundant here. After a vigorous hike, I love to visit Paradise Springs Springs Winery which is walking distance from the Yates Ford Road parking lot.

My dogs love this trail. Some deer, foxes, squirrels, and water fowl. Depending on the weather it can be muddy or hard. Rocks in part. It is connected to the larger trail system of the Regional Park from Bull Run Park to Fountain Head (19 miles). I would call easy with moderate for some of the hills if wet.

amazing trail. lots of fun, wildlife, water

very nice trails not well marked at all very easy to get lost.

great hike, but the trail isn't well marked and it's very easy to get lost and end up on private property

Trail not well maintained and very muddy. Not well marked and goes through the middle of a kids camp. Do not think I will go back, many other better options.

About half the hike is akin Bull Run river...very nice. About 1/3 of the hike is over rocks so just be advised. Went with my dog and he enjoyed it as well!

Nice hike for the 4th of July. Good views and access to the water for dogs to cool themselves on a hot day.

Overall pretty good trail. The distance and rocky terrain were a bit much for my 5 year old toward the end. The elevations are uphill the final stretch. Relatively easy for me and my 9 year old.

I got to say it was a nice walking/hiking we did. It has bit of everything, by that I mean if you want to make a hike you can or just walk and explore. But overall I was very please specially my dog, he loved exploring the area and getting into the water. And my husband love it as well since it had rocks were he could climb.

Easy walk along the river!

Beyond gorgeous walk, loved seeing the river definitely would recommend this! Got lost the first time around though, you definitely need your map for this one.

Beautiful trail but not very well marked.

Excellent scenery along this sometimes rocky trail. The river portion can become quite sloppy, especially after a rain. The trails are well marked but you have to look for the markings along the yellow and red trails. Great for dogs, not great for small children.

It was my very first time hiking, to me it wasn't that easy but it was definitely enjoyable!!

Caution: as this loop is marked in AllTrails today, it could be broken into a northern and southern loop. The northern loop is great. The southern loop is not actually a loop. If you follow the southern half counter-clockwise the trail will end about 2 miles in. If you continue following the AllTrails marked path from that point you will end on private property (the nearby winery) just before reaching the park's parking lot.

Aside from this problem, the trails are great. A nice bit of exercise for us and our 10 year old boxer who has had two surgeries for torn cruciate ligaments. It challenged him a few times, but he made it through and seemed to have a great time overall.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Beautiful view, well marked trails.

Saturday, February 18, 2017

Beautiful trail easy for all family members

Sunday, January 01, 2017

This trail is a gem tucked behind the estates of Clifton. If you live in the surrounding suburbs, this easy trail offers a quick, welcome getaway from the hustle and bustle. Beautiful groves of mountain laurel and hemlocks nestle themselves in the slopes leading down to Bull Run. The occasional rock outcropping offer the more adventurous a chance to respectfully go off trail and explore. Our sunny but cold winter walk gave us a chance to view the stream looking clearer than ever and we kept our fingers crossed that a VRE train would pass oblong the neighboring tracks. There was only one moderately steep climb in the trail that tested our lungs. Very doable for hearty preschoolers with maybe a shoulder ride or two along the way.

Sunday, November 06, 2016

We parked right outside the park and took the yellow trail to blue by the water and picked the yellow trail back up. At times the trail is challenging. There are a lot of geological rocks on certain parts of the path and because of fall, there were a ton of leaves, so at times it was slippery. Fitbit showed we had climbed 32 floors. Sometimes the trail was well marked sometimes it wasn't. I only heard that gun range way off in the distance just for a short period time. This was a well traveled trail on Saturday.

Parking can be a problem since there is a busy winery next door.

Saturday, November 05, 2016

Good walk down to the river and back. The doggy loves the small beaches by the river.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Just tough enough to keep the kids interested. Beautiful scenery. Keep your eyes open for the blazes.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Great view. Be careful when veering off the marked trails. There is a gun range by the blue trail and could get loud at times. Definitely not easy. Get ready to break a sweat.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

I have a small dog and we absolutely loved this trail! Lots of opportunity to get in the water. Lots of rocks, fallen trees, etc. The diverse landscape made it fun and interesting. The first left onto the RED blaze trail was missed because you can only see it on your way back. Now I know and will do the longer journey.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Its a good trail for the family, its little rocky but kids can manage it. Like the view on the river.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Be extremely careful following the trails! The directions we found for the loop trail weren't clear about where to turn off, and we ended up going probably an extra mile on the blue blazed Bull Run Occoquan trail before we realized the mistake. If you crossed Bull Run on the concrete pylons, turn back! The yellow blazed trail to head back to parking is just before the crossing.

We had a perfectly lovely time until that mishap. The trail isn't too strenuous, a few steep parts and some rocky areas. Our small dog (jack Russell dachshund mix) had a blast!

Friday, April 01, 2016

Half of this trail is poorly kept, with lots of fallen trees blocking the path. I had to hike to the road just to get back to my car. Also be careful to not accidentally wander onto the 17(?) mile trail that intertwines with this one. They stupidly use the same tree markers (and sparingly so) so it is easy to get lost. Also, DO NOT SWIM HERE. Venomous snakes are in the water. Beyond that though its a beautiful trail, just make sure you have gps to get home or don't explore too much. People were very dog friendly btw.

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Just walked 2.5 mi of this trail with almost 6 yr old daughter. She rocked it! Lots of opportunities to traverse rocks over bull run. Changes in elevation very modest. All folks we passed were very friendly with my off-lead GSP. Highly recommended.

Sunday, January 03, 2016

It was a fun hike with some beautiful scenes. It was pretty muddy today, but still a nice hike. It might be a difficult hike in some areas for small children.

Saturday, November 21, 2015

This is one of my favorite trails. I love how nice the view is and the variety it offers for challenges. I highly recommend this trail to anyone, not matter what your skill level. My boyfriend is super athletic and will run ahead like a mountain goat while I take my time and hike a bit more relaxed. At the end of the 4 miles we both feel like we had a good work out.