Turkey Run Trail

Turkey Run Trail is a 3.2 mile loop trail located near McLean, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Great river views plus stream, falls and woods The trail starts in the C1 parking area and heads down to the Potomac River. The markers are yellow until you reach the river where you follow blue markers of the Potomac Heritage trail to the northwest along the river. You cross over Turkey Run and continue to Dead Run. Cross over Dead Run and go up stream, following the yellow markers again. Just after passing under the GW parkway bridge, turn left, cross the run and follow the yellow markers southeast until you reach Turkey Run again. Turn left and at the bridge cross over the run and follow the yellow trail up the hill and back to the parking lot.

Dangerous sections of trail that are eroded and very steep. Numerous large fallen trees blocking the trail as well.

Excellent hike with 3 kids 5 and under - NOT good for strollers, even off roading ones. Agree that it's more "moderate" than "easy". Thought we were lost a few times, could be marked better. Think it's a good trail for introducing scrambles and trail running.

We should have paid closer attention to the previous reviewer who mentioned the wasps. My wife and I got attacked today by yellow jackets. She was stung 8 times and me once. The location was right next to the waterfall and it was tough to get away quickly because it was in a rock scramble. We later talked to another couple who had also been stung many times. So be on the lookout.

Lovely trail. But washed away in places so a couple of scrambles and not very clearly marked.

Also there is a wasps nest on the dead run section where the tributary hits the Potomac. There's a stream of discarded clothes where people have striped off to try and get rid of them.

In our mad dash away I lost my sunglasses so if anyone find them please let me know.

Also picked up a pole. If it's yours let me know.

I'm nursing an aggravated IT band, so chose to explore one of our more gentle trails in the DC area. This is a fun one, thanks to nature's obstacle course -- fallen trees, baby ravines, and stone paths over creeks. The foliage this time of year is very green and thick, making this trail the quintessential nature walk. Great path for trail running or to bring a four-legged sidekick, too! You feel secluded, but are reminded by noise pollution that the big city is only miles away (from cars on GW Parkway and National-bound planes landing along the Potomac). I wore running shoes, which are fine, but I might wear hiking boots next time. There are a couple areas where I would have felt more confident with traction. I chose counterclockwise, but didn't notice any significant difference to recommend either direction. Having the trail map with you is a good idea since it's easy to get off track to another path. I'll definitely return, especially since you can easily get to Turkey Run Park from both directions on the GW Parkway (although I imagine this trail runs muddy during the wetter months). Oh btw, plan on taking a shower right afterwards. I left draped in cobwebs! Ewe.

Nice hike, but this trail should not have been rated as easy, and it is identical to Dead Run Loop (see below for links), which is rated here as moderate. The trail is enjoyable but not good for all skill levels, and I doubt horses can use this trail given the scrambles and the rockier parts of the trail. (See Michael Edmund's review below.) Blazes are relatively infrequent and not always easy to find, but this does not make the hike less enjoyable.

I also was expecting to see more than a couple of nice river views, but I am assuming that a larger number of views can be had on a different trail, named on this website as Turkey Park Run Loop Trail.

I did the Dead Run Loop clockwise, and was rewarded when seeing small waterfalls in the rockiest part of the trail, which a little more than halfway closer to the river.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/virginia/dead-run-loop http://www.hikingupward.com/ovh/deadrun/

A lot of single men coming in and out of the parking lot at C-2, my friend and I thought it was pretty weird but decided to ignore it and go for the hike anyway. After a short distance on the trail we came up to a highway overpass which was very loud and had a lot of garbage around. Trail was VERY poorly marked and after getting too many weird vibes and were unsure of where to go we turned around. Definitely won't be going back.