Turkey Neck Trail

Turkey Neck Trail is a 3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Montross, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Directions from Montross, VA: The park is located approximately 5 miles northeast of Montross, Virginia off Rt. 3. From Fredericksburg, Virginia, take Rt. 3 east for approximately 40 miles. Upon entering the park, you will find Turkey Neck Trail on the right-hand side of the road before you get to Campground A. It also connects with Big Meadow Interpretive Trail alongside Yellow Swamp.

More on the easy side then moderate. It was a nice trail.

First time take our dog on a trail hike. My pace was slower because of all of the smells he encountered. Few people on trail which worked good for me because I wasn't sure how he would be on trail, but will do it again with him.

Great view and trail run!!

Like they've said, easy at the beginning and very flat and still, but after a little over a mile, the ups and downs begin. The trail sort of ends at the cliffs and beach, which is not ideal for those looking for a loop. We followed the meadow trail to the road and walked by the visitor's center to the parking area for the trail.

Beautiful campsites walking distance from the river.

Easy trail until the end with epic hill!

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Saturday, April 09, 2016

Park boasted it was the best park in all of Virginia at the entrance. I doubted it, and then I saw fossil beach. While it may not be the most intense hike, Turkey Neck trail was enjoyable and if you run it you'll sweat! Really great conservation trail with exercise stations at intervals, this place has me thinking about a membership.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Wonderful trail the begining is a little pedestrian, but turns into better hike when you get closer to the marshy area. I'll definitely be going back in the warmer months.

Monday, September 07, 2015

Loved it we took a rescue pup here and it was a lot of work but the small beach was fun and the site was amazing!

Sunday, July 27, 2014

One of my favorite places to car camp. very convenient, firewood provided and electric to make a a pot of coffee in the morning. We always take the trail to the beach to look for sharks teeth. like others said, the trails are not going to get you a great workout. just a quiet relaxing place in the woods.

Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Beautiful trails and great view of th eriver with picnic tables and camping available to stay for extended periods of time.

Sunday, September 09, 2012

Decent campsites, went Labor Day weekend. Pitched a tent with boyfriend, sister stayed in an rv, and we had one friend in a hammock. Too close together for my taste but way better than a KOA by all means. Decent sized lots, each with picnic table, firepit, electric and water. We didn't have septic, but there wash house is close. The trails were more of a short walk than a 'hike' but pretty scenery and well maintained- one leads to the beach where you can pan for shark teeth. There's a huge pool, paddleboat/canoe/kayak rentals and a snack stand. Had a really good time overall!

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Great, laid back day hike. I love to come here to destress.

Monday, March 26, 2012

have never camped here but the sites seem nice and level. as for hiking I would say it is more of an afternoon stroll but fun and relaxing, excellent for families with smaller children. there are also many other activities if you want more

Monday, September 20, 2010

I stayed for the first time at this state park and a last min 4th of July vacation. The facilities were great and lots of activities in and around the park. Activities such as hikeing, boating, swimming in a full size pool. There are also many great historic land marks and monuments to visit. This is great for families and a single light adventurer.