Trumbo Hollow via Appalachian Trail

Trumbo Hollow via Appalachian Trail is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Linden, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,391 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Park at little parking lot off of US-55 at Tuckers Ln. AT trail is on the side of the parking lot. Head out to Jim & Molly Denton Shelter and head back to car

Great relatively easy hike with beautiful forest, no overlooks and not many places with views of the surrounding valleys

It took me 4 hours to full 6.6 round trip. I stopped to have lunch. The hike is definitely difficult in the beginning due to rock and incline. Nice meadow to sit and relax and I really liked the shelter. It was good for hiking but I wanted to see more plants or foliage or view which I think it’s lacking.

Nice section of the AT. Went on a misty day and had a nice time.

Sunday, June 17, 2018

Nice hike, a bit strenuous in the beginning and somewhat rocky. You have to watch for poison ivy but no bugs on this hot humid summer day! I’m used to hiking over at Buzzards Rock where it’s pretty quiet, so I want used to seeing so many people on the trail . If there was a cadre with a nice iced latte in that meadow, That would be magical;) recommend this hike!

Wednesday, June 06, 2018

Nice two and a half hour workout. Watch out for the poison ivy and the bees in the field. I did get a glimpse of the monastery on Blue Mountain but other than that there are no Scenic Vistas. I only ran into four other hikers along the way.... on a Tuesday. All-in-all it's a great hike close to home. It's always good to be our in nature!

Sunday, April 01, 2018

Nice hike on March 31, with the family, up to shelter and back. Fairly busy ran into 15-20 hikers on this trip.

Monday, January 15, 2018

Going north on the AT from Tuckers Lane might offer a more varied backcountry hike, but this 6.6 mile round trip south is a nice alternative. Most of the elevation gain is in the first third. Just over the ridge is a beautiful old meadow. The turnaround destination - the Denton shelter - is one of the nicer facilities we've seen on the AT: beautiful three-sided shelter that could sleep 7-8 adults, a covered picnic table, shower set-up, bio-friendly latrine, fire pits and separate tent sites, and even a horseshoe pit. We enjoyed the hike on a brisk mid-January day (20 degrees), with only two other solo hikers encountered on the trail (and a few woodpeckers) and, due to a lack of foliage, many long views. The traffic from I-66 echoes in the valley and makes for some background noise ascending and descending the ridge, the only downside to this otherwise very nice hike.

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

A fairly easy hike, though a couple of the hills will get your heart rate up. The meadows are the highlight, filled with butterflies and probably beautiful in the spring. Minimal parking at the trailhead, maybe 5 or 6 spots.

Wednesday, August 02, 2017

Great hike! No real views but beautiful meadow. We did about 4 miles.of it. The first mile is very uphill. Hard for me :) but I'm recovering from health issues. Great hike!

Monday, July 31, 2017

Good trail with a mix of semi steep hills and flat lands. The Denton shelter and surrounding facilities are really nice. Get to the parking area off Rte 55 early on weekends. We arrived shortly after 9:00 am and got the last spot!

recorded Trumbo Hollow