Trillium Loop Trail

Trillium Loop Trail is a 4.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hampton, Virginia that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

paddle sports

Hampton's premier park is a 456 acre environmental education and wildlife management facility. Born from borrow pits and garbage dumps, the park is truly a success story of reclamation of our natural resources. From the 10,000 square foot nature center overlooking Sandy Bottom Lake to the elusive creatures that inhabit the wetland marshes, there is something for everyone at Sandy Bottom Nature Park.

Not bad except for the highway being right next to you.

The trail was easy to follow and pretty flat. There were lake views and was mostly wooded. I gave it 3 stars for several reasons. It was crowded and the people did not seem friendly. I prefer more rural trails. Most of the trail is next to a very busy and loud highway. There’s also a lot of loud overhead jet noise. The other side of the trail backs up to peoples homes. And there are apparently rattle snakes although I didn’t see any. I wasn’t aware we even had rattle snakes in this area. It was a nice length though. They did have a dog park which was empty but I wouldn’t use it based on the unfriendliness of the people there. I don’t think we’ll be doing this one again.

Excellent lunch time run - or if you are pressed for time and "gotta get some miles in". easy going surfaces.

Great easy trail. Saw lots of wildlife. Trail is a little load along the road sections, but I would definitely walk it again.

Easy path, even with little kids. Scenery by the lake is great with lots of turtles and ducks for young ones to watch.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

We were able to push our double stroller along this trail- it was bumpy at times, but doable. A good portion of the path runs alongside the highway and is so incredibly loud, my husband and I couldn't hear each other and had to shout at one another- we were SO glad when that stretch finally ended. Because of that, we probably will not do it again.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

This trail is a nice length and just the right amount of mixed scenery and trail type. The trail does get very wet when it rains and a few parts do not dry out...ever. There are parts that hold water and are difficult to get around. This is one of the fewer traveled trails so it has areas that have higher grass and during slow times you may not run into anyone. In the summer it is mostly shaded with a few stretches in full sun. The mosquitos can be vicious due to the standing water, bring bug spray.

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Definitely a mixed trail, depending on the location within the park. Some areas have good views, others are bland. One section is close to the highway, while others seem quiet and secluded. The areas near the parking and picnic areas can get a little crowded, but the further out you hike, the more solitude there is to enjoy.

The portion of the trail that runs adjacent to Hampton Roads Center Parkway can get a little flooded and soggy at times. Like most parks and trails, it closes at sunset.

Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Mostly flat and gravely. Some roots once you get off of the gravel portion.

Friday, March 14, 2014

I take walks through Sandy Bottom occasionally with my wife and dog. There are some areas where water will tend to pool up on the paths if there has been some rain, but they are normally easy to get around.

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Great hike and I loved the park. The trails were well marked and quite lovely. Highly recommend it!

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pretty and simple trail. Spends some time too near a highway to feel like a hike, but most of it is splendid. Great for running.

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Nice trails ad well maintained. There is a dog park.

Friday, April 19, 2013

Of the 11 trails in the park I like Trillium the least; it has way too many open areas. Snakes and bugs . But I still like it. Parts of the trail are very scenic, especially by the lakes.

Friday, April 19, 2013

I'd avoid this place after it rains and in the evening when the bugs come out. It's like running around a swamp and is currently being redone. Great place for morning jogs when it's dry though!

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Good place to train on your bike. Cool dog park, remember to bring your dogs shot records and 10$ for the Dog park annual fee. OK trails. Mostly gravel road. And trails with lots of roots and mud pits. Bring mosquito repellant.

Saturday, September 29, 2012

I have been to Sandy Bottom walking and bike riding several times. The trails are in need of some maintenance and a couple are closed. There are several large mud holes that you have to go around. Bikes are allowed on all of the trails except for one.

Sunday, June 03, 2012

It's a place I like to wander the paths with my boys (Pre-K age) or friends. I rarely come across a park employee. Yet, I've never needed one. The paths around the lake is usually cleared. Could do without the interstate noise on that side of the park. But, it's still nice and a good workout.
They also have a nice area for dogs to play and be social.