Tinker Cliffs via Andy Layne Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(362)
New Castle, Virginia

Tinker Cliffs via Andy Layne Trail is a 7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near New Castle, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and nature trips and is best used from April until September.

Distance: 7.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,902 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options. Offers beautiful views south of the Catabwa Valley and McAfee Knob area. Trail runs through private farm and requires climbing a few fence ladders [to prevent those cows from straying]. There's a pretty neat trail bridge that crosses a stream. Once past all this there is a moderate but continual incline. Views at the cliffs are the big payoff. Please leave no trace and be mindful of trash. This trail sees a large number of traffic and has been having problems with rising trash, illegal camping and misuse of the area. The Roanoke Appalachian Trail Club maintains this section of trail and volunteers regularly pack out trash and maintain campsites to keep it beautiful. Park rules and regulations are enforced: Maximum group size, day hikes: 25 Maximum group size, backpacking/camping: 10 No alcohol Dogs must be kept on leash at all times No camping or campfires outside of 7 designated areas ( north of Va 624/Newport Rd, the only legal campsites are Johns Spring Shelter, Catawba Shelter and campsites, Pig Farm campsite, Campbell Shelter and Lambert’s Meadow Shelter and campsites) No camping or campfires on McAfee Knob or Tinker Cliffs

private property

Good half-day hike. Watch out for signs on the trees right after going through the field because the signs tell you what kind of trees they are and some cool facts. Most is pretty easy but there are some steep steps at the foot of the mountain. Good scenery all around. Top of mountain on cliffs can be windy so dress in layers.

This is my favorite trial in this area so far, definitely the hardest I have done at this point, like the variety of scenery offered throughout the hike, and the view is well worth the pretty difficult staircases near the halfway mark. gets a little slippery/muddy after rain

IT'S CLOSED - I'm only posting on here to say that I drove there, 3 signs indicated that Andy Layne Trail is closed, App Trail is closed, access to App Trail is closed. I took my dog across the street to Catawba Valley Trail. No indication (on the sign/map, or otherwise) that this trail was closed. We used trail for about 10 minutes, went off trail for a long time, and returned to use trail for another 10 minutes. We were able to park at the Andy Layne parking lot without problem. Several cars there, and I suspect that most of those people were using the Andy Layne Trail in violation of the rules. We saw no one while we were on the other side of the road - maybe heard one voice. I'm giving a 5-star rating just to be able to post. Kima and I have done McAfee Knob before (going in a different way), and it's cool - maybe 4.5 stars.

private property

This trail was amazing. There were the perfect amount of ups and down to keep at a steady pace. We hiked this with our 3.5 year old and she was able to walk the majority of the way. Highly recommend.

closed
private property

First 3 miles goes through private property. Brutally hilly but the views are worth it. Don’t go on a windy day! We couldn’t enjoy the summit very long because we were almost blown off! No bathrooms anywhere close.

Fantastic! Strenuous but worth it for the view.

Tough hike but well worth it for the view. Took about 4 hours.

Tough hike but well worth it for the view. Took about 4 hours.

I loved this! I have been on many hikes and this is one of my new favorites. It was not very intense I would say it was a moderate trail. Very beautiful views along the way. We even saw cows close up. The summit has amazing views with several rocks to stop on and enjoy the many views.

Use to be the old AT route, very enjoyable hike.

private property

This is a really nice trail with a view very similar to Mcaffee knob, but less of a workout to get there. It was extremely muddy when I went, but not so bad that you couldn’t make it up or down. In the beginning you pass through a cow pasture. 3 of the 3.5 miles to the top are private property. The trail is not too steep in any parts. If you go at a good pace without stopping this shouldn’t take more than a few hours.

This was an amazing hike. We started at 10:40 and finished about 5:30. I'm 57 and in pretty good hiking shape. We spent time eating lunch and taking pictures and going out on each outcropping. This hike is moderate/difficult but very doable. It's my new favorite hike. The views are beyond words.

Did this yesterday, March 9th. Great weather. Great hike. Not too intense, but a pretty steep hike particularly towards the end. Great view though! Would recommend!

Great trail! Straight up from the start. View is unparalleled of the Catawba Valley. Not for the faint of heart.

This is one of my favorites. It's not as crowded as some of the other trails nearby and has a gorgeous view at the top

I hiked this on Feb 17th, great weather, some sections were slightly muddy and slick but otherwise great hike as always!

I hiked to Tinker Cliffs on February 8th and it was a beautiful sunny day. Some muddy areas, but not as bad as I expected. I saw about a dozen hikers and a couple of dogs. I also saw a couple of buzzards hanging out on the Cliffs. Overall, I had a great hike.

Hiked on Feb. 1st and it was absolutely beautiful! Only saw a few other people. The green in the forest really stands out during the winter months and there were many large moss covered rocks and icicles to behold. This trail is very cool because you can see exactly where you are headed from most of it. The cliffs at the top are gorgeous and absolutely worth the hike!

Hiked TC in May 2018 completing the “triple crown”. It is the longest but the best of the 3 trails with less traffic and best reward vistas.

Great trail! The hike up is grueling but the pay off along the cliffs is worth it!! Husband and I loved it!

Great trail. Little workout on the stairs.

Awesome trail, views and well worth the effort ..... a great way to start the year! Forgot to turn off recording, those last 8 miles were on the ride out

Lots of steps on a steep ascending terrain. Gorgeous scenery. Can’t miss it.

Fantastic trail!

Nice trail, nice views. Nice to see this perspective. I’ve done Mcafees now I want to see the valley from dragons tooth. This was a pretty easy hike. The stairs were a bit daunting but no biggie. The trail switch backs a fair amount. With fall approaching a lot more of the terrain is visible. The trail is well marked and maintained, does not have quite the refined feel of Mcafees but you don’t cross fire roads or power cuts either. Tons of section hikers finishing on this was Sunday mid afternoon, I got one of the last spots to park around 11am. All in all a great day for a great hike.

Great trail. View is similar to Macafees knob, but much better due to the greater perspective. The hike is also better than Macafees, although much harder as well due to the large amount of stairs.

This was one of the first moderate-more strenuous trails I’ve ever done and I enjoyed it so much! It took about 4 and a half hours to complete, took lots of little breaks and rested at the top for a while. It’s kinda tougher I’d say for a beginner for sure, lots of climbing up and equally climbing down. I’m worn out, lol icing my knees while typing this. Hard on the knees, at least for someone new to this long of a hike. Take a brace. The view, however is totally worth it. This trail seems to also be a lot less overcrowded than what I hear about the other local Catawba trails, (McAfee’s Knob, etc). This trail was maintained wonderfully and I can’t wait to do it again someday.