Tinker Cliffs/Andy Layne Trail

Tinker Cliffs/Andy Layne Trail is a 7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Troutville, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

1902 feet

Offers beautiful views south of the Catabwa Valley and McAfee Knob area. Trail runs through private farm and requires climbing a few fence ladders [to prevent those cows from straying]. There's a pretty neat trail bridge that crosses a stream. Once past all this there is a moderate but continual incline. Views at the cliffs are the big payoff. Please leave no trace and be mindful of trash. This trail sees a large number of traffic and has been having problems with rising trash, illegal camping and misuse of the area. The Roanoke Appalachian Trail Club maintains this section of trail and volunteers regularly pack out trash and maintain campsites to keep it beautiful. Park rules and regulations are enforced: Maximum group size, day hikes: 25 Maximum group size, backpacking/camping: 10 No alcohol Dogs must be kept on leash at all times No camping or campfires outside of 7 designated areas ( north of Va 624/Newport Rd, the only legal campsites are Johns Spring Shelter, Catawba Shelter and campsites, Pig Farm campsite, Campbell Shelter and Lambert’s Meadow Shelter and campsites) No camping or campfires on McAfee Knob or Tinker Cliffs

Out of the triple crown, this was by far my favorite. has the best view and a good challenge. Our group hiked in the rain mud and all and was the best hike ever.

Great views from Tinkers Cliffs. Several steep climbs. Great workout and day hike! several people..Saturday.

Went here today, not sure why this isn't rated hard. It was pretty brutal and the majority is directly up the side of a mountain. Coming down was rough on the toes and knees, that's for sure. Mileage is off according to this site, mileage was a little over 9miles. When you are close to the cliffs a sign reads ( .5 ) to the top, not true more like .8 to the top. I rated this one hard. However, it is stunning at the top and the sights along the way are not bad either.

Beautiful. Long hike with a couple intense portions, mostly chill.

I hiked this trail this morning 10/28:17. It was lovely. I came early and felt like I had the place to myself until I was on my way back. It was a little bit harder on me but I’m so glad I did it!

How is this trail not rated hard? It is an amazing hike but hard.

Great trail! Loved the fact you cross over bridges and through a cow pasture. The steps are challenging but nothing to deter a person in good shape from hiking them. The bees nest was destroyed so when you get to the down tree that you walk through have no worries on getting swarmed...well unless they rebuild. :)

Hikes this one yesterday. Only met six other hikers. Be sure to go to the rock outcrops at the south end; these have the best view. There's also a semi-McAfee rock overhang picture you can take; if there's someone else to hold the camera. Nice view of McAfee to the SSW from there too. Some background noise from the cement plant on the first section, but a nice hike up the mountain; relentlessly up hill since it is a mountain. At the 3.1 mile mark, at the AT, there's a really big vine just waiting to be swung on. The two bridges are in good shape. I'm impressed by the trail. There's almost a couple hundred log steps in the hillside on the way up to work a different set of muscles.

In the morning of 10/14 two persons were reportedly stung by wasps in the middle of the first set of switchbacks.

It was beautiful but I was swarmed by yellow jackets at 2.25 miles on 10/5/17. I was stung over 30 times, so please keep an eye out. I believe they nest in the ground.

arriving around mid night..

One of the most beautiful hikes I've ever done! Ranked as moderate, but it has some challenges. Just when you thought you were home free, surprise with tricky spots. The view at the top was awesome and so was the trail with spectacular rocks.

Out of the three hikes that make up VA's Triple Crown, this was definitely the toughest. Like the map shows, it is all uphill, but the views are well worth it. At the beginning you go through some farm land and get to go over a couple cool little bridges. It is private property but we didn't run into any problems. Oh, and bring binoculars so you can see McAfee Knob when you reach the top!

Challenging but well worth it!

I hiked this trail mid winter, awesome hike!

very overgrown we passed snake skin and also saw a snake inside a tree log..freaked me out so bad I turned around and left i WILL NEVER go back to this one again. if you love snakes this will be the trail to walk if not don't even waste your time

Fab views, pictures on Instagram:w.a.b.flicks

I LOVED the hike to Tinker Cliffs, it was easy compared to going up to Dragons Tooth and Mcafee. We had lunch and took a cat nap up on the rocks. Remember to put sunscreen on! We made a rookie mistake and didn't realize how much sun we were getting!

Took about 4.5 hours, but I kept going about .5 miles past the first overlook. Trail has some challenging sections, but overall not too bad. Views are amazing. Only complaint is there is a lots of poison ivy along the trail, and in some places sticking out into the trail, so need to really pay attention.

Great views from the cliffs on a very clear day. It took us 3 1/2 hours round-trip with a short break at the top.