Tinker Cliffs/Andy Layne Trail

Tinker Cliffs/Andy Layne Trail is a 7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Troutville, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

Offers beautiful views south of the Catabwa Valley and McAfee Knob area. Trail runs through private farm and requires climbing a few fence ladders [to prevent those cows from straying]. There's a pretty neat trail bridge that crosses a stream. Once past all this there is a moderate but continual incline. Views at the cliffs are the big payoff. Please leave no trace and be mindful of trash. This trail sees a large number of traffic and has been having problems with rising trash, illegal camping and misuse of the area. The Roanoke Appalachian Trail Club maintains this section of trail and volunteers regularly pack out trash and maintain campsites to keep it beautiful. Park rules and regulations are enforced: Maximum group size, day hikes: 25 Maximum group size, backpacking/camping: 10 No alcohol Dogs must be kept on leash at all times No camping or campfires outside of 7 designated areas ( north of Va 624/Newport Rd, the only legal campsites are Johns Spring Shelter, Catawba Shelter and campsites, Pig Farm campsite, Campbell Shelter and Lambert’s Meadow Shelter and campsites) No camping or campfires on McAfee Knob or Tinker Cliffs

what a hike. coming back was easier its very nice

This was a amazing hike , hard but fun the stairs were challenging as well as the incline changes but I def recommend hiking early in the am less crowded

A great hike! Challenging but well worth it. The view from the Cliffs is amazing! A black bear crossed the trail ahead of mean the way back down. That got the heart racing. It was a great day hike and part 2 of 3 for the Triple Crown.

Loved this trail. Diverse in meadow and forested areas, hard stair climb, AMAZING views. Got sweaty and enjoyed every second of it.

Tough hike. Trail is rough in spots due to heavy use. Gets a lot of use because it is the direct route to Tinker Cliffs.

Beautifully established, the cows and wildflowers made it great.

Do not go right by the fence uphill. Will redo the hike with family when they visit!

great hike, great workout. not for dogs though, it is to rocky, my dogs paws were blistered(my fault I know). the view is really great at the cliffs. will do again.

My favorite hike in this area. Has a fantastic view, varying terrain, and makes for an awesome adventure.

Great view from the top! Well-maintained trail. Beautiful wildflowers along the trail. Hiked on a weekday and had the entire trail up/back and cliffs (during the summer) all to ourselves. Nice stream crossing and cows along the way.

I save 5⭐️ for Incredible hikes...so don’t think I’m being stingy with the 4 here:) This was a great hike! Very dense vegetation in the first mile or so. Very cool variety in the beginning. Was sketched out early on after reading the previous reviews about bears, but saw no sign. Once you climb the huge set of stairs, most of the hard work is done. Pretty gradual switch backs get you the rest of the way....and some smaller sets of stairs. Slightly muddy...find a good walking stick. I would really give this path a moderate, not a hard rating. Pretty views and not crowded. After passing some through hikers, I had the cliffs to myself.

Good hike. Less people hike it. Just as good of view as mcafee knob.

Great hike from McAfee Knob. Beautiful views. Hike out to Daleville. Wonderful section hike of the AT!!!

It's a nicely maintained trail! There's a lot to look at in the beginning, keeps it interesting. Those straight up parts are definitely worth it when you get to the top. We saw a bear on our way down, it didn't make any more noise than the squirrels were so be aware of your surroundings!

We came across a mama bear with a cub about 2 miles from the parking lot. We made a lot of noise a fair distance away, but the mama did not seem troubled by our presence at all. It probably took about 20 minutes before they moved far enough away from the trail for us to continue.

Awesome well-maintained 8 mile RT, ~1700 ft. elevation gain, lots of ups with some downs, you hike from the Andy Layne parking area through a couple of ups and downs and across a couple of streams through 3 miles of the cement company land - nice of them to donate - and then you reach the AT and go up about another mile to the top of Tinker Cliffs. Thanks to the Roanoke Appalachian Trail Club for maintaining this great trail. Awesome views, lots of rock outcroppings to have lunch and chill. I had a great day on a Friday and suspect it gets crowded on weekends due to its proximity to Roanoke, VA. Highly recommend this hike.

Great hike with some challenging portions. Took two dogs with us to the Cliffs. Amazing views.

Trail very muddy after recent rain/snow. Be prepared if it's recently been wet.

Amazing views at the top with plenty of room to explore. Well marked trail with a few steep areas that are easily accomplished

Very cool hike. In my top favs. Like the fact that u cross thru someone’s cow pasture along the trail. Cool creek crossing and cows!!

With some great climbs and great views you cannot go wrong with this 7 mile round trip hike. Approx 2000 feet elevation gain makes it a great workout as well.

Out of the triple crown, this was by far my favorite. has the best view and a good challenge. Our group hiked in the rain mud and all and was the best hike ever.

Great views from Tinkers Cliffs. Several steep climbs. Great workout and day hike! several people..Saturday.

Went here today, not sure why this isn't rated hard. It was pretty brutal and the majority is directly up the side of a mountain. Coming down was rough on the toes and knees, that's for sure. Mileage is off according to this site, mileage was a little over 9miles. When you are close to the cliffs a sign reads ( .5 ) to the top, not true more like .8 to the top. I rated this one hard. However, it is stunning at the top and the sights along the way are not bad either.

Beautiful. Long hike with a couple intense portions, mostly chill.

I hiked this trail this morning 10/28:17. It was lovely. I came early and felt like I had the place to myself until I was on my way back. It was a little bit harder on me but I’m so glad I did it!

How is this trail not rated hard? It is an amazing hike but hard.

Great trail! Loved the fact you cross over bridges and through a cow pasture. The steps are challenging but nothing to deter a person in good shape from hiking them. The bees nest was destroyed so when you get to the down tree that you walk through have no worries on getting swarmed...well unless they rebuild. :)

Hikes this one yesterday. Only met six other hikers. Be sure to go to the rock outcrops at the south end; these have the best view. There's also a semi-McAfee rock overhang picture you can take; if there's someone else to hold the camera. Nice view of McAfee to the SSW from there too. Some background noise from the cement plant on the first section, but a nice hike up the mountain; relentlessly up hill since it is a mountain. At the 3.1 mile mark, at the AT, there's a really big vine just waiting to be swung on. The two bridges are in good shape. I'm impressed by the trail. There's almost a couple hundred log steps in the hillside on the way up to work a different set of muscles.

In the morning of 10/14 two persons were reportedly stung by wasps in the middle of the first set of switchbacks.

It was beautiful but I was swarmed by yellow jackets at 2.25 miles on 10/5/17. I was stung over 30 times, so please keep an eye out. I believe they nest in the ground.