Tinker Cliffs/Andy Layne Trail

Tinker Cliffs/Andy Layne Trail is a 7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Troutville, Virginia that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

1902 feet

Offers beautiful views south of the Catabwa Valley and McAfee Knob area. Trail runs thru private farm and requires climbing a few fence ladders [to prevent those cows from straying]. There's a pretty neat trail bridge that crosses a stream. Once past all this there is a moderate but continual incline. Views at the cliffs are the big payoff.

Great views from Tinkers Cliffs. Several steep climbs. Great workout and day hike! several people..Saturday.

Went here today, not sure why this isn't rated hard. It was pretty brutal and the majority is directly up the side of a mountain. Coming down was rough on the toes and knees, that's for sure. Mileage is off according to this site, mileage was a little over 9miles. When you are close to the cliffs a sign reads ( .5 ) to the top, not true more like .8 to the top. I rated this one hard. However, it is stunning at the top and the sights along the way are not bad either.

Beautiful. Long hike with a couple intense portions, mostly chill.

I hiked this trail this morning 10/28:17. It was lovely. I came early and felt like I had the place to myself until I was on my way back. It was a little bit harder on me but I’m so glad I did it!

How is this trail not rated hard? It is an amazing hike but hard.

Great trail! Loved the fact you cross over bridges and through a cow pasture. The steps are challenging but nothing to deter a person in good shape from hiking them. The bees nest was destroyed so when you get to the down tree that you walk through have no worries on getting swarmed...well unless they rebuild. :)

Hikes this one yesterday. Only met six other hikers. Be sure to go to the rock outcrops at the south end; these have the best view. There's also a semi-McAfee rock overhang picture you can take; if there's someone else to hold the camera. Nice view of McAfee to the SSW from there too. Some background noise from the cement plant on the first section, but a nice hike up the mountain; relentlessly up hill since it is a mountain. At the 3.1 mile mark, at the AT, there's a really big vine just waiting to be swung on. The two bridges are in good shape. I'm impressed by the trail. There's almost a couple hundred log steps in the hillside on the way up to work a different set of muscles.

In the morning of 10/14 two persons were reportedly stung by wasps in the middle of the first set of switchbacks.

It was beautiful but I was swarmed by yellow jackets at 2.25 miles on 10/5/17. I was stung over 30 times, so please keep an eye out. I believe they nest in the ground.

arriving around mid night..