Tibbet Knob Trail

Tibbet Knob Trail is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Edinburg, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Had this trail mostly to ourselves. The overlook is one of the best views I've come across so far, absolutely beautiful.

Hiked it with my dog. The rock scramble near the top was fun and well worth the view.

Views: 4/5. Rocky outcropping at the top gives a beautiful view of the bowl to the South. There were a surprising number of flies and hornets at the top, but other than that was quite nice.
Solitude: 5/5. Saw two other hikers on the trail on a beautiful, sunny Sunday morning.
Difficulty: Medium. Steep at times. Rock scrambles were short and moderately challenging.

Great for a solo hike because it isn't as popular as its sister hike, Big Schloss. I went in March and didn't see a soul. 2 beautiful overlooks. 2 small rock scrambles. I wouldn't consider it a hard hike. perhaps hard for a dog or small children.

Fun little hike; stopped off with the boyfriend and dog on our way to a cabin. The trail is rocky, which we liked. There are three rock outcroppings with a nice view at the top. Best part was we didn't encounter a single soul on this trail, even though the parking lot it shares with Big Shloss was packed!

Trail seems to go forever up and up and up and then at the end you go up LOL I enjoyed it

Great hike. Would not suggest for families. The rock scramble at the end can be a bit tricky. The views are well worth the effort!!!

a couple of friends and I did an over nighter on tibbets knob at the end of October. such a great, beautiful hike.

Sunday, October 30, 2016

This trail definitely lived up to its rating of "difficult" but is a great hike. The views from the top are exactly what you would expect from the valley. Glad I brought my stick. There's a nice spot at the top for camping for those who are inclined to backpacking.

Friday, March 18, 2016

Well marked trail and gorgeous views. Slightly more difficult than Big Schloss due to steep terrain and rocky path but still a short and relatively easy hike.

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Had a nice hike! Took our time so it took about an hour up and we didn't even reach the top. Lots of snow still but awesome views. Trail was muddy and snowy but manageable. Will definitely try again when the slush is gone.

Monday, February 15, 2016

Great hike. We tackled the summit on a cold and snowy day. Temp was around 15 degrees and already 6" of fresh powdery snow. Yaktrax worked well in the fresh powder. Rock scrammbles were a challenge in the snow but very rewarding after we reached the top. Highly recommend on a clear day for great views both east and west.

Sunday, August 30, 2015

It was a really good hike, like many of the other reviews say it was closer to 4 miles than 3.1. However it was really no trouble for my two girls ages, 10 and 12 with frequent breaks. Everyone really liked the "rock climbing" towards the top. Several good scenic with the first about half a mile up. Definitely recommend.

Monday, August 17, 2015

Did the trail from the bottom. Parking at Wolf Gap Recreation area. Would agree that the trail felt slightly longer than 3.1Miles from this point. Still good parking and we thought the views were great. We stayed the night at the top which is highly recommended. Good fire ring and stone bench.

Thursday, May 21, 2015

We enjoyed several overlooks on the trail. Our GPS indicated that it was closer to 4.0 miles than the recorded 3.1 though. It's a steep hike, but not unenjoyable. I would not recommend bringing dogs unless you're able to help them up the few rock scrambles at the end. Overall, a very pleasant hike.

Monday, March 23, 2015

Great Hike.

Sunday, July 06, 2014

Maybe we were tired, but we did Big Schloss first and immediately did Tibbet (starts across the street). Tibbet was way, way harder. And the view not nearly as good. It was a fun, challenging trail. We enjoyed it. But be warned

Saturday, November 09, 2013

Great 1 mile family hike if you use gravel road and approach trail from above. If you start at the bottom is going to be 3 miles obviously taking a lot longer. highly recommended, great views!!

Sunday, November 13, 2011

shorter than big schloss. not as busy and great view at the top. some scrambling is required.