Thunder Ridge via Appalachian Trail

Thunder Ridge via Appalachian Trail is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Buchanan, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I did not hike this entire trail. I just went to the overlook, and I was shocked more people weren't there. Just 0.1 miles off the road, it was a gorgeous view. The weather on the top of the mountain was cool and windy, which was perfect for setting up a hammock on a summer's day.

My previous review was for the short Thunder Ridge Overlook Loop before AllTrails merged it with this small section of the AT. I made it back today with my family so they could enjoy the wonderful view from the picturesque stone lookout on a beautiful summer day. I will be back to hike the Apple Orchard Mountain area and hopefully can included a longer portion of this scenic stretch.

Monday, November 28, 2016

It is basically just a loop from one end of the parking area to the other (milepost 74.7). But the view from the pretty stone lookout deserves four stars. Be sure to look north for the huge boulder field at Devil's Marbleyard (a future destination for me). The Appalachian Trail passes through here, and affords the opportunity for some great hiking...maybe a trek south to Apple Orchard Mountain (the highest point on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia).

Monday, September 02, 2013