Three Ridges Loop via Appalachian Trail and Mau-Har Trail

Three Ridges Loop via Appalachian Trail and Mau-Har Trail is a 13.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Tyro, Virginia that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

We backpacked this weekend. Since there has been no rain, there was no water resupply sources at creeks that were dry. Also, no waterfalls. We had to camp back by Tye river to ensure we had necessary water. I'll go back in the spring or fall when water conditions improve.

Ran the loop with my dog. Very challenging, but the views and waterfall are worth it. Very few flat stretches of trail so if you're not going up, you're going down.

Fantastic views throughout the trail. Lots of incline so be prepared to be very tired.

wanted to see how fast I could finish the loop. Completed the whole loop in 6 hours and 30 minutes. I kept a consistent pace throughout only stopping for some brief scenic breaks which I also used as my snack/Water intake. Booked it down the mountain side, and took long strides coming back up Mau-Har.

For me liquid calories were essential to stay steady climbing back up Mau-Har. Over all ending at meadow mountain to wrap things up felt amazing and it was well worth the pace and effort. i plan on doing this loop again very soon.

really enjoyed the incline. great views.

Very challenging but just as rewarding. We took the AT down to the bottom of Mau-Har then came the Mau-Har to link back up with the AT and head back to the cars. We split this up as an overnighter although, it could be done in a single day. That's, if you've got the legs for it. This hike should not be taken lightly. I wouldn't attempt the Mau-Har in the dark so, I'd say, make sure you have plenty of daylight if you want to hike the loop in a single day.

Difficult, some of the best views in the state, super pretty and refreshing streams to waterfalls to bathing pools.
I completed 13.6 miles via AT to Mau Haur to AT and returned to start point.
Time with lunch and three or four brief rests and fairly brisk moving we completed this in about 6.5hrs. I highly recommend taking more time to take in the sites, enjoy resting, digesting lunch, and enjoying it all as the elevation changes are difficult.
I consider the loop I did harder than the Priest, as it was quite longer and similar in terrain and ascending elevation change over distance
Difficult, beautiful, rewarding

Hard but only one view and water in one spot.

I didn't have time to do even half of this trail so will have to come back, but the part I did do was great.

From Rt. 56 to the Harper's Creek campground was not very hard. A gradual upward climb to a ridge, then down to the campground. The section after the campground was steeper and much rockier, but doable.

Once you reach the ridge that runs up to the summit there are endless views on both sides. This ridge has several knobs, with the last one covered in large boulders, and the steepest part I climbed.

Parking lot was not crowded, and I saw maybe 10 people at the campground, but nobody along the trail.

This trail was great! However, I found the trail to be very difficult, but that's because I'm overweight. There are several inclines that are steep and rocky but the view at the top is absolutely gorgeous. So glad I went!

Saturday, July 09, 2016