Three Ridges Loop via Appalachian Trail and Mau-Har Trail

Three Ridges Loop via Appalachian Trail and Mau-Har Trail is a 12.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Tyro, Virginia that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Great Day hike if staying at the Wintergreen Resort as TH is only .5 miles from entrance. Drive down to Devil's Backbone brewery for a nice finish. Trip took me 5.5 hours total with just a few short breaks for water, food and change of clothes as it was very humid. Nice views and running along the river with waterfalls was nice. Typical canopy hiking on the AT.

My first backpacking experience... not sure I would have picked this trail for a first timer, but I survived. The scenery definitely made all the hard work seem worth it. Trails are very clearly marked and everything looks pristine despite the many hikers. It might be a little while, but I would definitely do this again. The rangers were very helpful and friendly.

My son and I started at Reeds gap and hiked in to the Harper’s Creek Shelter. Due to some slight rain and all of the boulders on the AT side it was extremely slippery, but a beautiful hike. Even if it did take eight hours to hike in. On the second day we hiked back to the car by completing the loop. The waterfalls were absolutely wonderful. This was the first backpacking trip for my 18-year-old son and I. I now understand the labeling of difficult as this trail was. It will make you sore, but the views are very much worth it. We had a great time.

We started our hike Friday March 30th from Reid’s Gap and hiked the top of the first peak where we set up camp. It has a beautiful view and great site for setting up. The temperature was around mid 60’s during the day; however, the temperature dropped drastically getting down to right above 30 at night. The next morning we began our loop beginning at Maupin Shelter and going clockwise towards three ridges. The hike was difficult with steep inclines. One you hit the peak of three ridges you descend over several areas of boulders, not easy on the knees. After a couple of miles we landed at our second camp site Harpers Creek Shelter. The camp site is great with a great water source. The next day you start off by doing a pretty hefty incline followed by steep descending trails to end up by some fantastic waterfalls. Take you time and rest because the next mile was grueling. Maybe not as hard but just as challenging . Ascending in short but steep inclines combined with rocks along the river was definitely challenging but very rewarding. We finished our hike and headed to devils backbone for much needed meal with beverage.

Hiked this loop twice now and loved it both times! Went with a couple buddies and split it up over 2 nights for fun. All I can say is be prepared if you are doing the loop counter-clockwise, that elevation gain is no joke. Doing it clockwise is much easier.

Did this as a day hike and its very hard...there is very little water to he found on the AT section..plenty if water in Campbell creek on the Mau Har part...some steep inclines and lots of rock fields to hike across...very nice views along the top and very dense forest in the bottom...be prepared for some tough hiking if you do it in a day..split overnight it shouldnt be too bad

Great loop, extremely hard, not much water on the Appalachian side but tons of water on the Mau-har side. Stared at Route56 and followed Appalachian trail to the start of Mau-har, spent the night at the shelter then finished the next day. about 10 miles first day 5.5 second. Great hike.

I really enjoyed this hike! Both trails require about the same amount of effort, but I recommend heading to the top first. There are a couple vistas you can hang out on, they're worth a few moments to soak it all in. Have fun!

We backpacked this weekend. Since there has been no rain, there was no water resupply sources at creeks that were dry. Also, no waterfalls. We had to camp back by Tye river to ensure we had necessary water. I'll go back in the spring or fall when water conditions improve.

Ran the loop with my dog. Very challenging, but the views and waterfall are worth it. Very few flat stretches of trail so if you're not going up, you're going down.

Fantastic views throughout the trail. Lots of incline so be prepared to be very tired.

Thursday, June 22, 2017

wanted to see how fast I could finish the loop. Completed the whole loop in 6 hours and 30 minutes. I kept a consistent pace throughout only stopping for some brief scenic breaks which I also used as my snack/Water intake. Booked it down the mountain side, and took long strides coming back up Mau-Har.

For me liquid calories were essential to stay steady climbing back up Mau-Har. Over all ending at meadow mountain to wrap things up felt amazing and it was well worth the pace and effort. i plan on doing this loop again very soon.

Friday, June 16, 2017

really enjoyed the incline. great views.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Very challenging but just as rewarding. We took the AT down to the bottom of Mau-Har then came the Mau-Har to link back up with the AT and head back to the cars. We split this up as an overnighter although, it could be done in a single day. That's, if you've got the legs for it. This hike should not be taken lightly. I wouldn't attempt the Mau-Har in the dark so, I'd say, make sure you have plenty of daylight if you want to hike the loop in a single day.

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Difficult, some of the best views in the state, super pretty and refreshing streams to waterfalls to bathing pools.
I completed 13.6 miles via AT to Mau Haur to AT and returned to start point.
Time with lunch and three or four brief rests and fairly brisk moving we completed this in about 6.5hrs. I highly recommend taking more time to take in the sites, enjoy resting, digesting lunch, and enjoying it all as the elevation changes are difficult.
I consider the loop I did harder than the Priest, as it was quite longer and similar in terrain and ascending elevation change over distance
Difficult, beautiful, rewarding

Wednesday, March 01, 2017

Hard but only one view and water in one spot.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

I didn't have time to do even half of this trail so will have to come back, but the part I did do was great.

From Rt. 56 to the Harper's Creek campground was not very hard. A gradual upward climb to a ridge, then down to the campground. The section after the campground was steeper and much rockier, but doable.

Once you reach the ridge that runs up to the summit there are endless views on both sides. This ridge has several knobs, with the last one covered in large boulders, and the steepest part I climbed.

Parking lot was not crowded, and I saw maybe 10 people at the campground, but nobody along the trail.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

This trail was great! However, I found the trail to be very difficult, but that's because I'm overweight. There are several inclines that are steep and rocky but the view at the top is absolutely gorgeous. So glad I went!

Monday, June 20, 2016

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

YouTube edit I made of our overnight hike.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

5 of us hiked this over a weekend and it was great. The ridges offer incredible views. Would definitely go back. We camped about halfway at harpers creek shelter where there are fire pits and you can filter water from the creek. Some of the uphill climbs are pretty strenuous but well worth it.

Saturday, November 23, 2013

We hiked this on a foggy day and later in the day it was rainy. A long and hard hike. I'm sure had we had any views it would have been spectacular.

Monday, June 17, 2013

We did this trail in a day... Don't do it unless you wanna enjoy it. Almost stepped on a rattlesnake.

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Great trail for doing an overnight backpack. For complete trail description, free pdf map of the trail, trailhead directions, more photos, etc, see: hikingupward dot com GWNF ThreeRidges