Three Ridges

Three Ridges is a 13.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Tyro, Virginia that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and backpacking and is accessible year-round.

Difficult, some of the best views in the state, super pretty and refreshing streams to waterfalls to bathing pools.
I completed 13.6 miles via AT to Mau Haur to AT and returned to start point.
Time with lunch and three or four brief rests and fairly brisk moving we completed this in about 6.5hrs. I highly recommend taking more time to take in the sites, enjoy resting, digesting lunch, and enjoying it all as the elevation changes are difficult.
I consider the loop I did harder than the Priest, as it was quite longer and similar in terrain and ascending elevation change over distance
Difficult, beautiful, rewarding

Hard but only one view and water in one spot.

I didn't have time to do even half of this trail so will have to come back, but the part I did do was great.

From Rt. 56 to the Harper's Creek campground was not very hard. A gradual upward climb to a ridge, then down to the campground. The section after the campground was steeper and much rockier, but doable.

Once you reach the ridge that runs up to the summit there are endless views on both sides. This ridge has several knobs, with the last one covered in large boulders, and the steepest part I climbed.

Parking lot was not crowded, and I saw maybe 10 people at the campground, but nobody along the trail.

This trail was great! However, I found the trail to be very difficult, but that's because I'm overweight. There are several inclines that are steep and rocky but the view at the top is absolutely gorgeous. So glad I went!

YouTube edit I made of our overnight hike.

5 of us hiked this over a weekend and it was great. The ridges offer incredible views. Would definitely go back. We camped about halfway at harpers creek shelter where there are fire pits and you can filter water from the creek. Some of the uphill climbs are pretty strenuous but well worth it.

We hiked this on a foggy day and later in the day it was rainy. A long and hard hike. I'm sure had we had any views it would have been spectacular.

We did this trail in a day... Don't do it unless you wanna enjoy it. Almost stepped on a rattlesnake.

Great trail for doing an overnight backpack. For complete trail description, free pdf map of the trail, trailhead directions, more photos, etc, see: hikingupward dot com GWNF ThreeRidges