Thorton Hollow Trail

Thorton Hollow Trail is a 11.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Sperryville, Virginia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Park at the Elk Hollow picnic area. Get on the the AT trail. Follow the AT trail to the Thorton Hollow trail.

Great review, awesome trail. I haven't seen the abandon car but I have only hiked this in the summer. I have also seen a lot of bears on this trail

Cool trail/loop as there is a little bit of everything. The only thing that is missing are the beautiful SNP views as this is mostly heavily wooded. I completed this in the middle of Winter so I probably saw a bit more that I would have, say, during the Summer. I started the hike at Elk Hollow around 2. Finished around 6. By about 5:30 I was on Piney Ridge and greated with a beautiful sunset...sun shining thru the trees. Had to use a headlamp for the last half hour of the hike.

I got on to the AT at Else Hollow and followed it south for about 2 miles, at which point it crosses Skyline.

Veer left and walk over to the Thorton Hollow parking lot. Follow the Thorton Hollow trail down for about 2 miles. There is an old car....car frame about half way down Thorton Hollow. There are also a few stream crossings. Relatively easy.

At the bottom of the hollow, you'll hit the Hull School trail marker. Hang left and follow that til the Fork Mountain marker and follow that until Piney Ridge. It is a moderate, steady incline from the Hull trail marker. Nothing too strenuous.

You'll pass the Dewey Cemetery midway on the Piney Ridge trail.