The Scout Trail (Blue Trail)

The Scout Trail (Blue Trail) is a 3.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Sterling, Virginia that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.2 miles Elevation Gain: 137 feet Route Type: Loop

paddle sports

Nice running or walking trail. Good area for grilling and picnics as well.

Nice in the beginning but trail isn’t well marked towards the middle. Had to double back a few times and ended up making my own with it. Will try again another day. Nice trail for clearing your head and just focusing on the trails.

Trail is nice when it's not muddy. Trail maps should be on every trail entry board...they are only inside the main visitors center.

Fun, family oriented trail with lots for kids and adults to do. Can get very muddy after rainy periods.

I've been around Claude Moore Park more than a couple times, and although it's mostly flat and winding with basic trails, it does have that "historic feeling" to it. It's nice and easy, perfect for new hikers and their families in the Loudoun area. Watch out, it can get muddy in some spots. They have the Heritage Farm Museum, and Claude Moore Recreation & Community Center of PRCS. (CMRCC). Drop by both of those if you have the chance.

Mostly flat with mild elevation changes. Trails are marked, but can be confusing at intersections. All trails interconnect so you can make it back to your start point. A few muddy spots, and puddles. Visitor center had restrooms for quick wash up after activity.

nice and easy trail in the middle of sterling, va. i'm sure i'll be back to either run it or ride it.

It is a nice trail. There is not that much of a traffic in trail itself. Do not try to invent a new trail path since with one mistake you will end up to the streets around the park. Just follow the path people already tried you will have fun. I created the videos below from the trail FYI. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ht7GfoHJbI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5eg3Kaba0c

Nice trail wrapping a beautiful community park. Highly recommend doing the loop trail and finishing up the day with a picnic by the lake at one of the tables there.

great hike in the middle of the busy city. I'm visiting from New Mexico and this was an easy get away. The staff were friendly and helpful too!

Only walked the top part of this trail, but i found it to be well marked (blue line), even, and lovely.

Sunday, February 18, 2018

Nice, easy, convenient NoVA hike/walk. Melting snow on the trail made it somewhat like walking through a swamp - wear boots if wet.

Sunday, December 10, 2017

Nice local run, trail markings can be a bit confusing.

Thursday, September 14, 2017

A nice hike in a populated area, nothing more.

Friday, July 21, 2017

definitely an easy hike. in no way moderate but a great place to walk or bike

Monday, June 19, 2017

The 6year old almost died do not try with fellow 6 year olds or younger but the 10 year old did great Reviewed By The Greatest Hiker of all the 10 year old

Monday, May 29, 2017

If we could catch a week without rain, this trail would be perfect. In roughly 1.5 hours I worked up a nice sweat!

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Can be a bit muddy in spots days after rain. Nice little hike for a warm evening.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Parts of trail were muddy. There were multiple forks in the trail (some of which weren't clearly marked). Nice trees and birds.

Wednesday, April 05, 2017

It was okay 20% of the time. But I heard cars most of the time. So I just don't get the wilderness feel.

Friday, March 24, 2017

My go to place for it's close by. Nice place to hike around. The trails have lots of trees and 2 lakes you can sit and ponder.

Saturday, March 26, 2016

Hiked The Scout Trail (Blue Blaze) with kiddo (9 yr old) on a cloudy early 70s day in March '16. All in all it was a good hike, we went on a weekday so encountered maybe 2 other hikers/runners along the way. The length of the trail is about 3.4 miles and it loops to/from the recreation center, so plenty of parking. The good: Kid friendly, a few hills, but nothing exceptionally difficult. Trail fairly well marked, with plenty of intersecting trails along the way if people want to explore. Convenient to the area, so it was easily accessible. Park offers a rec center with a few activities for kids, including an indoor pool/slash area. The bad: Trail was fairly muddy in a many spots, we had to navigate around those spots, but still got shoes muddy. The biggest issue we had was road/traffic noise, the park is nestled between a few major roads so it's unavoidable. If quite/tranquil hikes with the backdrop of nature sounds is what you seek, look elsewhere. Based on this alone, we probably won't be back. Otherwise, if the noise issue doesn't bother you, worth a try.

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Nice trail close to home, it's a little muddy right now but it is still early in the season. My wife and I usually do this trail a few times a week

Saturday, December 19, 2015

This was my first time hiked this rail and I had a great time. It was a short drive from the Dulles airport. I will visit it again when I am in area.

Friday, November 06, 2015

I hike this trail regularly and I love it. The first section is the most uphill, and after that it's pretty flat - I don't know that I'd even rate it as a moderate.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Absolutely loved it. The lake is beautiful, and the blue trail is serene and lush. Also, I was impressed by the recreation center. It has maps of the trails which include many more options than what is listed on this app. :)

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Great park with lots to do. We enjoyed the trails walking past farm homes and the ponds. We had a little view of history with the old houses and learning the trail was the old highway from Alexandria to WVA. We will go back to hit the other trails.

Monday, January 20, 2014

Love the trails at Claude Moore!! Kid friendly and lots to do. My kids like to mix & match the trails and they like to end with a snack at the kids sized picnic tables. We went into the visitors center once and had a great time in the hands-on room set up just for kids. We have only explored this park in the fall/winter months. I'm looking forward to what spring/summer will look like!!