The Noland Trail is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Newport News, Virginia that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Was a lovely trail. The only negative to the entire experience was the first mile. There was a pretty high level of noise from a street that ran parallel to the trail, which was also under construction. However, once you passed that stretch it was quiet, well-maintained and quite beautiful with views of a lake and the James River.

This is a well known, heavily trafficked trail in our area. It’s a great distance at 5 miles, has beautiful lake and wooded views, and the trail is well maintained. They even mark the few tree roots on the path with orange paint so they’re easily visualized. Free parking. Dog friendly. Great for trail running. Definitely recommend. And if you have time you can always swing into the Mariners museum.

[This is the premier trail in the area for the avid walker/hiker. About 5 miles is perfect. Little bit of everything on this trail. Changing surfaces, nice bridges, and water views. One water crossing there must be hundreds of turtles waiting to be fed.

I walked this trail with my 14 year old son. We come from Montana and found this to be an easy hike. We thought that the tree roots spray painted orange took away from the scenery. But all in all very pleasant family friendly hike. We will return and train to jog then run it.

This is such a beautiful trail. I’ve driven from VB to walk or run this trail several times. It’s just so pretty and well kept up!

I’ve gone numerous times with my GSD to this trail. It’s a medium difficulty trail, and probably the one I recommend the most. There are several places where my dog stops and hops in the lake for a quick cooldown. You can see some wildlife (my sister had a deer just walk up to her). Plenty of dogs and people, with clear markers telling you which mile you are at along the trail. Beautiful views of the lake along the way. One of our favorites!

This is my regular running trail. Great scenery and occasional deer!

It's cute they think there is 150' of elevation gain in that loop. It's not even 50'.

Considering where this trail is located, The Noland trail features a variety of scenery and a lot more elevation change than you’d expect in southeast Virginia. The bridges are what make this trail - there are over a dozen of them including the spectacular Lion’s Gate Bridge.
I primarily use this trail for training - it is a good length and with a couple of route variations, you can hike as much or as little as you need to as you prepare for your next big hikes.
It can be fairly crowded. Try to go between 10 and 2 for the least amount of people. Between 4 and 7 you can expect a very crowded trail - a testament to how nice it is.

Fun!

Very scenic trail ! Took lots of pictures ! Will walk this trail for my fourth time on August 11, 2018!

This is my favorite trail in SE Virginia. Very shady and around 10 am a breeze can be found during the hottest months. It can be as hard as you want it to be. I have hiked this trail on a healing broken ankle and I have built up my trail running endurance on this trail. You can even build your hiking endurance by wearing a back pack. There are rolling hills that really work the hamstrings. There are many deer that walk throughout the woods, plenty of turtles, lake birds and I have occasionally seen a bald eagle. Although I have seen couples trying to use strollers and wagons for small children, I don't recommend it. There are many 6x6 beams that run along the inclines to prevent erosion to which these people have a difficult time. There is an area of botanical interest where many flowering plants and trees have a place. They rate this as an "easy" trail, but make no mistakes about it, there are plenty of rolling hills. This is probably the only rolling hill trail in all of south eastern Virginia. At times it can get quite busy but I have never found it to be so busy that I can't enjoy it. The people on the trail actually make it safer since the trail is 5 miles through the woods. There are portable potties but they are not always clean with tp. I know of 3 areas they can be found; 1. At the head of the trail, 2. 2.5 miles into the trail off to the left (look for a wide open area with stump in middle of trial), 3. The last one being at the end of the trail. The 5 miles takes me close to 1.5 hours to walk, less to run. This is my favorite trail in SE Virginia because of the varying terrain.

Lake views and bridges are great. Well maintained. Occasionally crowded.

Very nice trail! It has many bridges and overlooks of the water. It has many turtles and ducks. I would call it a nice relaxing walk or running trail perfect for couples, athletes, fishers, and family’s. It is also a very easy trail to walk with many places to sit so if you have issues walking long distance or children this is the place to go.

Love this trail! Have done it several times.

There are numerous inclines and raised roots. It’s beautifully scenic. Lots of wildlife. Well maintained and clean.

This is a great trail for walking with the family, hiking, and running. pet friendly and it's possible to bring a stroller as well.

Very well maintained with good trail markers. single female I felt very safe. Came after a good rain and the trail was dry and enjoyable. the pups loved it.

Great all around trail. You can start in different directions for diversity. I have walked if plenty of times and I look forward to running it.

Excellent trail. Great for all fitness levels. Great place to walk with your dog or run if you're looking for more of a challenge.

Not difficult ~5 miles depending on what route you take. Generally not too crowded, with some nice views. Great hidden gem in an easy to get to location in Newport News Va.

Friday, September 15, 2017

Nice long walk, heavily populated at times but I still love it.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

A regular fave - great Cross Country type trail with a 3 and a 5 mi option.

Sunday, September 10, 2017

A bit busy at times, but always a pleasant challenge.

Saturday, September 02, 2017

Really loved this trail, was easy but not too easy (like a paved path would be). It was very clean and easy to navigate. I will most definitely be going again!

Friday, August 11, 2017

Enjoyed this trail for walking or running. Moderately crowded.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

quite possibly the best part of the peninsula. Plenty of outlets if you find want to do the whole five miles. Well maintained and patrolled.

Monday, July 10, 2017

Walked the dogs there this evening! Great trail!

Thursday, July 06, 2017

lots of traffic usually, be careful of downed logs