Sulphur Spring Trail

Sulphur Spring Trail is a 5.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Natural Bridge Station, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,040 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Natural Bridge Station, VA: Take VA Route 130 at Natural Bridge Station, turn south on VA Route 759. Go 3.2 miles and turn east (left) on VA Route 781. (At 1.5 miles pavement ends and at 1.8 miles road designation changes to Forest Service Road 35). Go 3.2 miles to trail head - room for parking 2 or 4 cars.

Boring hike. I hiked this trail with a couple of friends, and throughout the entire hike we thought we were hiking up Devils Marbleyard. I mean, it’s not horrible, but I was just disappointed we hiked the wrong trail. Won’t ever hike this trail again. There is a nice view about 2.5 miles in I think, we realized our mistake right about then and turned around.

Very long and boring hike. I hiked this trail with a couple of friends, and throughout the entire hike we thought we were hiking up Devils Marbleyard. I mean, it’s not horrible, but I was just disappointed we hiked the wrong trail. Won’t ever hike this trail again.

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Steady hike up that is not terribly strenuous. Trail is well kept and marked. The path was rocky but I had no issues with my hiking boots. There is one awesome scenic view of the valley. I only wish that the end of the trail had a better view. You ended almost like at a cross trail, and had options to hop on another trail.

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

Very rocky terrain- as another review said hard on feet especially coming down in some parts. Excellent day hike! All uphill, but very gradual. Excellent view from rocks about 0.3 miles from the top. The end of the hike is just a cross roads for other trails and the AT .

Sunday, October 16, 2016

All up hill one way. Extremely rocky in long sections. Very uncomfortable on feet even with great hiking shoes. Tough on ankles. Just OK, but mile 2.5 has very pretty view on rock outcropping.

Wednesday, August 01, 2018