Strickler Knob

Strickler Knob is a 10.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near New Market, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2099 feet

We started our hike at the Massanutten trail head off of Crimson Hollow Road at around 9:45 am. Parking is limited but when we got there there we were only the 2nd car to get there. The hike starts out quite flat for 3/4 mile or so then gets quite steep down (which you will have to come back up, and I'd say it was the steepest part of the hike). The rest of the hike you just follow the orange trail Until the turn off for strickler knob which is a pink trail blaze. We actually missed the pink for some reason and continued on the orange but realized we were going down hill so turned back around. I definitely recommend wearing hiking boots with good ankle support since the trail is very rocky. We followed the Hiking Upward guide which was pretty accurate. Said it would take about 5 hrs (round trip) not including lunch, which it was pretty spot on. Though we were going at a faster pace and didn't take many stops. I think it would take a little longer for those who aren't as fit. Via my garmin it was 4.85 miles to strickler knob, so round trip not including the little extra we did was prob 9.6 miles round trip. Definitely comparable to Old Rag, slightly easier, much lighter traffic. Also AMAZING views!