Story of the Forest Trail

Story of the Forest Trail is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Syria, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and mountain biking and is best used from April until October.

Fun little jaunt with our toddler, and very friendly deer. But if it was just me, I'd go elsewhere. A nice short hike, but nothing spectacular that made it stand out. Lots of road noise at certain parts too.

This one was a nice hike to do with young kids. My 2 year old daughter was able to do large portions of it as it's flat and the trail well-marked. We went out and back instead of the full loop to avoid walking alongside the road.

Great walk.

Very nice trail. Very easy

Great wildlife views! The deer practically walk right up to you. Easy trail. I would take this trail from Big Meadows campground to the visitor center & on to Big Meadow.

Nice trail to get from the campground to the meadow

Friday, November 11, 2016

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

Really nice family trail for the first half. I agree with previous reviewer about second half, paved trail that doesn't offer as much.

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Monday, March 23, 2015

This was the perfect walk if you have small children! It wasn't completely flat but not too hilly for the toddlers. There was lots of interesting stuff for them to see and a small stream that runs through. My only suggestion and a change that we will make next time is that when you reach the Story of the Forest/Big Meadows junction (where the picnic table is) I recommend turning around and back-tracking. Otherwise the trail takes you to a paved path next to the road that is boring and not good for kids. Also, I noticed that someone has put waterfall pictures on here, that is only if you take this trail down to Dark Hollow Falls and isn't actually part of this trail.

Sunday, March 01, 2015

I parked at Dark Hollow and took the trail up to the amphitheater. The roads closer to the camp grounds and amphitheater were closed.

Most of the trial was snow covered...probably 6-12". Made for a good leg workout.

I'm sure this is cake normally.

Friday, July 05, 2013

This one was too easy after some of the hiking we did up here. Very nice hike. I would like to do the ranger guided hike some time.

Thursday, July 04, 2013

An easy nature trail at Big Meadows. Although it is named Story of the Forest, part of it is open. Lots of wildlife. It was mobbed with people today because of the 4th of July holiday.