Stony Mountain Trail

Stony Mountain Trail is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Syria, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

We chose this trail based upon the photo, a man standing at a mountain summit. Sadly, there is no such summit on his trail. The first leg is Dark Hollow trail, with a number of beautiful waterfalls worth the trip. The extension to Stony Mountain trail just leads you through a heavily wooded area and dumps you out on a dirt road. We continued hiking up the dirt road as oppose to turning around. The road eventually lead us to Big Meadows. It was a fine enough hike yet hardly what we desired. I suspect the photo was taken at Stony Man Mtn summit further north along Skyline Drive.

Picture was misleading. I followed the trails shown on the map and there was definitely no summit or views. So either I was doing something wrong, or someone posted a picture from stony man mountain thinking it was this hike. It's a nice hike, but if you're expecting to reach a summit with views, you'll be dissapointed. However, hiking past the falls is fun and it's a good opportunity to be away from people in the quiet woods.

Monday, April 18, 2016

This trail in the beginning to the first half was awesome. A lot of up and down hill, the mountains were beautiful. I along with my friend got lost the second half, and we had to basically turn around and head back the way we came instead of the loop. It was still worth it, gorgeous scenery and great terrain. I would do it again only if I knew where the loop started after that first half completed, but it's hard to find.

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Friday, July 05, 2013

Yes it certainly was a black diamond. Not only for the vertical but for the rough going in places. But the pain was not without its rewards from views to beautiful forest to abundant wildlife.

Thursday, July 04, 2013

This is a tough trail out of Big Meadows. Lots of up and down. It says 1840 feet of elevation gain but I was almost certain it was a million. Some good views, beautiful forest and lots of wildlife. We looped it with the Rapidan Fire Road and the Mill Prong Trail.

Monday, August 13, 2012