Stony Mountain Trail

Stony Mountain Trail is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Syria, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and horses and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

beach

Ok, didn't actually hike this trail. Went up to Skyline Dr. in order to find this trail. One of the other posts said the trailhead was out of Big Meadows. (You lose cell reception at that high elevation, so I didn't trust my phone app to take me there) We went to the Big Meadows visitor center to inquire about the location of the trail and was promptly asked, "Why would you want to go there.". They rangers said there was nothing there. Definitely no lookout like the picture caption indicates. We were directed to Rose River Trail which had no scenic overlooks but was filled with beauty, pools of water, waterfalls, jutting rocks etc...Had a really nice day.

The Dark Hollow Falls Trail is NOT a dog friendly trail. Also, if you are looking for a 5.1 mile difficult trail, there are many other more exciting trails then this out and back. With that said, it is totally worth going to Dark Hollow Falls (without your dog) as a 1.4 mile out and back from the Dark Hollow Falls Parking Area (Milepost 50.5) or as a 4.4 mile Rose River Loop Trail starting at Fishers Gap Overlook (Milepost 49.4).

This hike does not allow dogs on Dark Hollow Falls.

I ran this trail on a 75 degree day in February; that alone could have made it a great experience. Coupled with this was one of the best waterfalls I’ve seen in Shenandoah- about a mile into the trail.

Otherwise, it should be noted that I was mislead by the picture of the knob tagged with this trail. If you’re seeking a hike that will end with a view such as this, look past Stoney Mountain.

Monday, April 18, 2016

This trail in the beginning to the first half was awesome. A lot of up and down hill, the mountains were beautiful. I along with my friend got lost the second half, and we had to basically turn around and head back the way we came instead of the loop. It was still worth it, gorgeous scenery and great terrain. I would do it again only if I knew where the loop started after that first half completed, but it's hard to find.

Friday, July 05, 2013

Yes it certainly was a black diamond. Not only for the vertical but for the rough going in places. But the pain was not without its rewards from views to beautiful forest to abundant wildlife.

Thursday, July 04, 2013

This is a tough trail out of Big Meadows. Lots of up and down. It says 1840 feet of elevation gain but I was almost certain it was a million. Some good views, beautiful forest and lots of wildlife. We looped it with the Rapidan Fire Road and the Mill Prong Trail.

Thursday, March 24, 2016