Stony Man via Appalachian Trail is a 1.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Luray, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

Directions from Front Royal, VA: Skyline Drive travels the entire length of Shenandoah National Park. Mile markers are placed along the right-hand side of the road heading south. They are numbered from north to south beginning at the northern terminus in Front Royal, Virginia. Facilities, trails and park features use the mile markers as points of reference. Park in the Stony Man parking area located at mile 41.7. Trailhead is just inside the lot.

Fun, short hike. Easy enough for a five and six year old. Very crowded on weekends. Excellent view!

Nice short hike. I had a few rain free hours to do this hike. It was creepy walking up in the fog and clouds but also awesome! lol I got the top and was alone but could not see the beautiful view because I was surrounded by clouds, I couldn't see more than 10 feet in front of me (I figured this would be the case when I started the hike). I couldn't even see the drop-off from the rock cliff, this was also creepy and awesome. I was not disappointed by not getting the view that everyone describes, I think my experience at the top was unique and interesting. Pic posted of my overlook.

Great views for such a short and easy hike! Hiked on a beautiful, sunny, autumn morning. Will definitely do again.

We started day one of our HIKE socked in with fog then it started to rain. - We made it to the highest point in the Shenandoah National Park. - Just a short side trail off of the Appalachian Trail was the Stony Man Summit we were at a elevation of 4,036 Feet. - It's the highest point in Shenandoah along Skyline Drive. - On our way back down off the mountain we couldn't see 5 feet in front of us. This is great side trail off the AT and is only a 322 feet climb in 8 tenths of a miles. We will need to do this side trail again just to see the views in that location.

Good trail, definitely on the easier side of life. Overlook is gorgeous but a small area so prepare for it to be cramped with other visitors. Four year old handled the trail with ease.

Amazing views at the summit!!

Took my 6 year old and my 4 year old and they had a good time. The right distance and a great view at the top.

Gorgeous views at the end with birds circling the peak. Easy, but rocky, trail. Take your camera on this one.

Amazing views! So high it just takes your breath away. A lot of uphill but for my seasoned hikers, ages 5 and 9, we had no issues and the views were worth it. Buy the Stony Man brochure at the beginning of the trail (which is in the Skyland resort area) to get more history and perspective on the trail.

This was a fun, easy hike! Beautiful views. We went in October and the colors were amazing!

Amazing vista at the summit!

This was a wonderful family hike. Our 4 year old daughter was able to climb, explore, and keep up at a good pace. We reached the overlook at the beginning of sunset and the view was phenomenal! It was a wonderful and tranquil experience overall. We saw several families on the hike with children of all ages.

Great family hike. We have done this a couple of times with two young daughters in backpacks and when they were a little older our three year old walking most of the way. Gentle incline. Bring a picnic lunch. The top has great views from the rocky pile.

Sensational views and a family-friendly hike! Keep your eyes peeled for bears.

Hike through dense woods to open up to a vast view point at the top. Short and easy for some amazing views

Easy with kids

Short but sweet. The stony man summit is really beautiful. The view is just mesmerizing. Easy enough to hike with children. I highly recommend it.

Very pleasant hike, easy walking without too much elevation change. The view is spectacular however it was quite humid the day we were there so visibility wasn’t the greatest.

we went there with a 6 yr old and it was easy. The view from the summit is really breath taking. worth it. it took us close to 1hr 15 mins to complete.

This is a great trail that leads to an amazing view! When you see pictures of people standing on a rock ledge in Shenandoah with the mountains behind them, this is the spot. There are a couple of small trails to the left and the right which offer smaller rock overlooks that are equally worth visiting and take about a minute to access. If you want the epic photo, have your hiking partner go to the left trail and snap a picture of you on the main rock crop from the one on the left. You will be glad you did.

Great hike! We did this hike early in the morning. We were above the fog, so visibility was limited. Super easy trail.

fantastic view when you get to the summit

This is such an easy trail for such a huge reward. The trail itself is a little boring, but nobody cares about that. Once you get out to the rocks, you’ll realize that your entire trip was worth it. I will recommend this to anybody that visits the park. Amazing!

Piece of cake with great view and plenty of fauna

Great hike for kids with a spectacular view at the summit!

perfect for bringing small kids. we brought our 6 and 3 years old and they did well. It was no problem for the 6. the view is spectacular

Easy hike with an excellent view. Saw two bears.

We are not in the best shape, so this was a great hike for us. The view is just amazing!

This was a nice, leisurely hike, and well worth the view from the summit. We started at the Stony Man parking area (near Skyland), and just followed the trail. Wide and relatively flat, although it was a bit rocky at times. Pass the crossing Appalachian Trail and you will approach a fork; we took the right fork but either way meets again at the summit. The views were fantastic. (On the way back down we did cross on to the Appalachian Trail an on to the Passamaquoddy trail, which is a much different hike!)

This trail is very easy can be done in less then 1 hour. The view from the top is amazing and worth the quick hike. We went when it was about to thunderstorm and that is a bad idea, almost got hit by lightning so be careful. The summit is very small and can maybe host 6 people comfortably. We also saw 3 black bears on the way to the summit.