Stony Man Trail

Stony Man Trail is a 1.4 mile loop trail located near Luray, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and birding.

Directions from Front Royal, VA: Skyline Drive travels the entire length of Shenandoah National Park. Mile markers are placed along the right-hand side of the road heading south. They are numbered from north to south beginning at the northern terminus in Front Royal, Virginia. Facilities, trails and park features use the mile markers as points of reference. Park in the Stony Man parking area located at mile 41.7. Trailhead is just inside the lot.

51 minutes ago

Such an easy hike for a beautiful view!

Awesome final view

Great for little kids!

This is a short and easy hike on a beautiful trail up to the 4,010 foot summit and the spectacular rocky lookout. Bring binoculars or a telephoto lens if possible. It is a great spot for birdwatching. If there is more time on my next visit, I would like to include Little Stony Man in a loop by way of the AT and the Passamaquoddy Trail.

One of the best. For a longer hike, begin at the horse barns from the south entrance to Skyline. Follow the AP to the north entrance starting point.

My wife and I hiked the Stony Man Summit trail on our trip to Skyland for our Anniversary. It was a great hike for our first "mountain" hike! The view at the top was incredible! At the fork at the loop, we chose the right-side path, which was a lot rockier and steeper than the left-side path; although it wasn't steep enough to be considered anything harder than we could take.

Excellent hike for what we needed!!

Really wonderful view up top. The wife and I had breakfast at Skyland and headed up straight from there. A great morning!