Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Star Trail

Star Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Roanoke, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Good little hike. Started at 18:40 and finished 20:45.

The trail is full of rocks, tree limbs and steep inclinations. It took us roughly an hour and a half to go up and back down. The views from the star at the top were great and we didn't encounter any snakes, overall, a nice beginner's trail!

Easy climb/ descent loop. Smallish glacier rock towards the bottom more dirt higher up. Went midday on a Tuesday. Saw less than 10 people. Great views up top. Bathrooms/vending machine up top.

I went around 6p on a Tuesday and there were just a couple people on the trail. It’s a relatively steep climb with some rocks and tree roots, not terribly strenuous but not a walk in the park either. There’s an observation deck at the top with the huge Roanoke star behind you. This spot is crowded but there’s a pretty view and a public restroom there if needed. There’s even a webcam and my husband was able to see me from his perch on the couch at home. The trail was well marked and there were some side trails that I didn’t take but will explore next time. Definitely worth a little bit of your time.

Great hike for us tourist types. Beautiful views from the top but the less physically inclined overpopulate the area.

I hiked up to the star this week and was pleased by the beautiful walk in the woods. Rocky in some spots, but generally an easy, steady climb. The view of Roanoke Valley is lovely at the top (and the clean public restrooms are appreciated, too).

The hike up was nothing spectacular, but the view is amazing!

Three star trail. Nothing spectacular during the hike up, just a bunch of switch backs. That being said it IS in a VERY convenient location so it you are looking for something to do outdoors that isn't a far drive, by all means, this is a great hike. Just not as spectacular as the other hikes in the area. Star at the top offers a spectacular view but is also easily enjoyed by driving to the top.

I had been starting to enjoy this one but there is no cell service once you get a little ways up and I ran into a total whack job that mooned me (in front of witnesses) and called me a communist because I follow the rules and have my dog on a leash. This idiot was in the parking lot and his two dogs were jumping on me trying to get to my little puppy! Cops did NOTHING! Never again. I have a shock gun now so I’ll be better prepared next time some nut job tries to make me look like the bad person for being a law abiding citizen!!! What a joke! NEVER AGAIN!!! Also his dogs had fleas so that cost me $50 for a pill to get rid of those! Gross! I don’t he or the dogs ever bathe! BEWARE!!! You could wind up in serious trouble here!!! Cops don’t care about citing the rule breakers!!! Could wind up missing or worse! I had started at the bottom near Dollar General! Lots of bugs also take DoTerra TerraShield if you dare!

checked the star out at night , put my headlamp on and hiked to the bottom parking lot. ran into some deers and got spooked

Pretty neat, probably best to be at the star at sunset for the best pictures!

Friday, April 27, 2018

Average uphill trail. Nothing stood out. The star is more enjoyable when you drive up.

Sunday, March 04, 2018

Pretty nice day hike. Well maintained. Well marked. Uphill most of the way. Roanoke Star is worth seeing whether you hike or drive to it. I just think that any scenery is better enjoyed when you “earn” it! We hiked up and back. Ate dinner, then drove up to see it at night. Very impressive views day or night.

Thursday, November 30, 2017

star was nice but would've rather driven.

Friday, October 27, 2017

The view at the top where the star is located is cool but the actual trail is just boring. So many rocks. Just wasn’t a fan. I would still recommend. But driving to the star would be fine too.

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Nice moderate trail with great views on a clear day!

Saturday, September 30, 2017

It was beautiful this morning as I hiked this trail. My only suggestion is to be careful of the loose stones and just enjoy!

Monday, September 04, 2017

Great trail, you just have to be careful on the loose rocks on the upper half. Going up isn't too bad but they make things a little treacherous on the way down.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Great view at the top. Totally doable with our 12 year old kids and medium size dog.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Good trail. All downhill then all up hill. Would be tough for those that are out of shape.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Impressed by the people who ran up it! Enjoyed the relatively easy hill climb up to a great view

Saturday, June 17, 2017

The trail is fun but the upper half is almost solely loose rocks. It's a beautiful view from the top though.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Nice walk

Monday, February 20, 2017

great hike

Sunday, December 25, 2016

Decent trail. It is in Roanoke city so easy to get to.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

I have lived in the valley my whole life and this mountain has always been my center.... just took my dog up the star trail this morning

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Very enjoyable trail. We had perfect weather. Pretty much uphill the whole way, but the hike back was fast and fun. View at the star is fantastic. If you live near Roanoke, you need to do this trail!

Sunday, October 23, 2016

It was good. The Webelos hiked as part of their Webelos Walkabout Requirement, while serving in a leadership role, and completing a service project!

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Nice moderate hike.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Multitude of loose rocks. Beautiful view from the top.