St. Mary's Wilderness Loop Trail

St. Mary's Wilderness Loop Trail is a 9.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Montebello, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Went during the spring this year, trail was overgrown, ended up finding ticks on my gear and my partner. Trail doesn't actually come upon the St. Mary river waterfall. Despite this, it was still a beautiful hike and had quite a few spots to camp at. Once you reach the Bald Mountain jeep trail, it widens up and allows you to walk without worry of ticks.

Tuesday, November 08, 2016

My 15 year old son and I did this as a 2 day/1 night trip in November. It is a good trip. Good variety of terrain from walking ridgelines, walking the St Mary's river valley, and some just walking in the woods. You may find descriptions that list the blaze colors for these trails. That is a joke. We saw 6 blazes on the whole loop and 2 were more misleading than helpful. So plan some extra time for finding the trail in tricky spots, especially near the campsites. We probably spent 30 minutes total searching for the trail in 3 separate spots. The camp sites near Green Pond and Bear Branch are awesome. Worth a trip, just know that these trails aren't as well marked as most.

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Monday, January 18, 2016

We tried this hike for the first time, going backwards from the typical route. We made this a 3 day/2-night trip, which spanned a weekend with evening thunderstorms and then snow on day 3. There are a few spots with large campsites, and ample creek crossings. My least favorite part was walking the fire roads, as it is not very exciting, but otherwise a great hike. Just to add, for those that like off-roaring or mtn biking, there are nice views and camp sites along the fire road. We opted to bypass the trip to the falls, but will definitely go back sometime.

Thursday, September 10, 2015