Spy Rock Trail is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Montebello, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,207 feet Route Type: Out & Back

made me feel bad about myself - hurt knee )-: so many cool thru hikers, not enough cool me rad view tho

used the Spy Rock Trailhead and Parking Area directions from Google Maps until we were right there and just followed signs. nice campsites at the base of Spy Rock with campfire setups ready. awesome 360 degree view from Spy Rock itself.

Great hike and nice 360 degree views atop spy rock. Will say that starting the hike from the indicated spot on All Trails was a little odd as it was only accessible by 4x4 Drive and no clear parking. Might be better done from Crabtree

To get to the trail head I highly recommend a AWD or 4 Wheel drive vehicle. Once you turn off the main road you will drive on a dirt road for 2.8 miles. The trail starts right near camp site, be sure to take the dirt road to the left off the camp site as your looking at it. Then you’ll come come to a white gate. Overall all this trail is great and offers a 360 degree view at the top.

Road and path is all clear. Took the road to the right and since I'm 4x4 I drove to white gate then back to a campsite 50 feet back. Hike was 1.5 hr up from there and I backpacked and camped at the most beautiful spot at the base of spyrock. So 2 camping options for you guys. when climbing spyrock. go left and follow pink ribbons

Beautiful view and a nice little spot to stop. The campground was well kept and had fire pits.

great trail. great views. rough road coming in. I do not recommend with low clearance cars. Once you get to the spot on this map there is an unmarked road that bears to the right. That is the trail. Spur trail/Fire Road to the AT is not marked. AT is about .3 miles down the road. You will pass a white gate that says foot travel is welcome. I would suggest keeping a saw in your vehicle and an axe. it looks like the blowdowns all over this road could make it interesting if you were caught out her in a wind storm.

Hiked it as a point to point from Crabtree Meadows parking area to Montebello Fish Hatchery parking area. The day we went was a cold & breezy day but the sites were still spectacular.

Camped overnight with a group of friends and had a blast. Getting up there with 40 lbs of camping gear as somebody who is only somewhat in shape was pretty difficult and required many breaks, but I imagine hiking for just the day with no gear to worry about wouldn’t be nearly as bad. The view from the top of the rock made it all worth it though, and I’ll definitely be back for more.

This was an awesome hike. Not too difficult and had great views. We had our dog so when we got to the rock we walked down to the left and went up the other side of the rock, it was a bit more gradual instead of climbing the rock face. Snow and ice pack made for some slick spots but nothing that slowed us down!

Really pretty, great weather. Only saw one other group.

Great views from the top, not terribly difficult

Very nice hike with awesome views on Spy Rock. Reminds me of a mini version of Old Rag, but not as difficult. Views along the trail (AT most of the way) are best during winter months.

Beautiful view. Much like hawks bill.

The hike up will definitely get your heart pumping. The view from the top is fantastic. Worth the hike!

The downsides are that some sections of the trail are basically a fire road. The top is so amazing though; it’s really worth the so-so scenery beforehand. Camping at the top just before the rock is great fun too. The you can get a view of the sunset when the crowds have died down.

Great hike with an amazing view!! Tough start, but totally worth it. So much fun climbing the rock to get to the end!

Does anyone know if the Fish Hatchery Route is open or if you can hike up the private road?

Great hike not far from Crab Tree Falls. Small road leading to the parking lot that can be quite busy at times. Once you get parked the steep incline of the beginning of the trail is enough to get your blood pumping. The 360 degree view from the top is phenomenal. There is an easier access point for the main view point, around the side of spy rock.

This trail is great, and the view at the top certainly doesn't disappoint. I love it so much I've gone up four times in the space of two weeks. I definitely recommend this hike.

great veiw, the trailhead is up a 4wheel drive road, and there is camping at the trailhead.

Super rewarding short hike. The incline on the way is enough to get the blood pumping and the ridge leading the the rock is beautiful. Camping there looks excellent. My favorite part was the rock itself, it required some poking around, but we found a low-difficulty scramble up to the top. Must be a great view, but we just arrived as a cloud engulfed the rock, making for a truly other-worldly experience.

Great family hike! My wife and I took our three kids (14, 11, and 7) and our Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever and really enjoyed the day. Additional info: I maneuvered our Town and Country van up Meadows Lane from Crabtree Falls Hwy and it was a little rough but not too difficult. It has been dry, and I am sure the road gets slick and challenging when wet. If you follow this app's map, you will arrive at a hairpin curve in Meadows Lane. There is an obvious camping spot (meadow) right there....that's where we parked the van. There is a road just to the left as you look at the camping spot from Meadows Lane. Follow that uphill past the Road Closed gate until the road forks to the left and right. You will notice trees on the left fork with the white AT mark. Look sharply to the RIGHT (even right of the right fork in the road,) up the mountain, and you will see additional white AT marks. That's your path. It's moderately steep uphill at first but not terrible. Plan on about 2.9 miles to the large meadow at the base of Spy Rock. The AT cuts off to the right as you enter the meadow. Go straight to the base of Spy Rock (past several campfires) and circle around the left side. You will find a path. It takes some scrambling but the whole fam plus doggo made it, no worries. Enjoy the view!

Great hike not for beginners it's up up all the way! But the 360 panoramic view is amazing.

Based on the google maps directions provided by this app, you’ll be driving up a tight service road for a significant amount of time until you reach a point where you may be able to park your car. Do not drive a car that rides low to the ground as you’ll basically be driving over two small creeks and many potholes. Signs for the trailhead are nonexistent, so the gps tracker on this app is absolutely essential. The actual hike is easy, with a bit of a rock scramble at the summit, where it’s a panorama view of the mountains surrounding you.

Beautiful views at the top. At times the hike was difficult but nothing too bad. I did this hike 20 weeks pregnant with my 5 year old and 7 year old. Enjoyed a lunch at the top

Fabulous views at the top, after a somewhat challenging rock climb at the end! On the difficult end of “moderate”.

Strenuous hike up, rock scramble is moderately difficult. 360 degree view at the top is spectacular.

Thursday, May 17, 2018

Got a little lost at one point and there was one place of some fairly serious rock scrambling, but the view was amazing and a picnic at the top just fantastic.