Sprouts Run Wilson Mountain Loop Trail

Sprouts Run Wilson Mountain Loop Trail is a 7.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Buchanan, Virginia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

bridge out

This hike combines the Sprouts Run Trail and the Wilson Mountain Trail in a loop with a .9 mile connection on a Forest Service Road . The beginning of the trail runs through private property, so please be respectful and stay on the trail right-of-way. Sprouts Run Trail offers creekside walking with little elevation gain until the last 3/4 mile in its approach to Hoop Pole Gap. This is a beautiful trail ignored by most but it offers several nice cascading waterfalls, pools of water and some cliffs and huge trees of various species. There are several rock hops back and forth across the creek, and when the water is running high in the spring, the rocks will be covered. Wilson Mountain is mainly ridge walking with its descent back down to the beginning of Sprouts Run Trail. There are some views of the James River, Solitude valley and mountains in the distance, especially during leaf-off.

I only hiked in 2.5 miles following Sprouts Run. It was beautiful. This morning my son and husband complained of itching. They were covered with tiny ticks. I had to pull hundreds from them. So, please make sure you have LOTS of bug spray on you.

I made it about a mile and a half in I think. It was wonderful, until a bear crossed the trail. I was by myself and when it went back to the other side across the water, I turned around. I'll have to come back and finish it with a partner. It was my first and last solo hike!

Trail is beautiful. Not great for running. Lots of stream fords. Very isolated. Didn't see another soul. One deer. No bears.

Ended up just doing Wilson mountain trail due to an unexpected late start and thunder storm. Very secluded and beautiful! Can't wait to go back and do the whole loop. And be careful-it was tick city! Had a few try to latch on

Warning: this easily turns into 11 miles if you do the Sprouts Run and Wilson Mountain loop

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Sprouts Run is another of my favorite trails. Wilson Mountain -- not as much, but I prefer a loop to an out-and-back most days. Overall, the hike is pretty easy as long as you don't go when the water is high. I ended up wet to my armpits during spring runoff. The creek isn't that high, but it does run fast, and there is a lot of force during high water. There are lots of photo ops and places for water-loving dogs to splash on the Sprouts Run trail. I suggest walking upstream on Sprouts Run so you can enjoy the cascades, and return via Wilson Mountain.