Snead Farm Dickey Ridge Loop Trail

Snead Farm Dickey Ridge Loop Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Front Royal, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.4 miles Elevation Gain: 524 feet Route Type: Loop

Please note that though this trail is easy to follow, certain portions are overgrown. Look out for the farmhouse. From there, stick to the right to stay on the trail.

This was a great gentle hike to give us out-of-the-car time in Shenandoah. We parked at the Dickey visitor’s center and crossed the road to the trailhead. Based on the map we saw there’s another way to go, through the picnic area, so we chose to do a figure eight and come back that way for more diversity. Being fall, it was very pretty as it’s almost completely a wooded walk. We weren’t disappointed since there are so many scenic overlook areas on the Skyline Drive. On asking the ranger at the visitor’s center, we choose to do the loop counter clockwise, getting the incline done in the beginning. About 1/3 or more in we had an overlook (just before the trail turned off to hit the Dickey summit.) We took the short detour to the summit but there was no view, just a Dahrma Initiative looking structure. Back on the trail, we used the GPS and AllTrails map to make sure we were staying on track as there weren’t super clear indicators otherwise. The Snead Farm was cool, but it’s all boarded up and locked with no information. So you have to use your imagination. Walking back to the parking lot through the picnic area we saw a super fluffy little bear (yes, I wanted to cuddle, but we made some noise and moved on, as did he/she.) Took us just over 2 hours as we stopped a few times and meandered with our dog (who didn’t even notice the bear.) My husband is getting over the flu, so it was just right for us. Found a handful of ticks on the pup and me after. That was the only real bummer.

I finished in under 2 hours, even with a cranky hiking partner/frequent breaks and stopping to watch a woodpecker for a bit. I parked at the dickey ridge rest stop area and walked through the picnic area, then took the loop clockwise. I saw the farmhouse pretty early on. meh. it was a gorgeous hike once you get onto the dickey ridge portion. very dense forest. we were warned about a bear in the area but luckily never encounted him. the overlook about 2.2mi in was totally unexpected and 100% worth elevation gain. I loved this hike and would definitely do it again. I'd probably add in the rest of the dicky trail instead of walking through the picnic area again; from looking at the map it didn't look like it made the trail too much longer.

Good trail, not many views. Would probably be nice in the spring when there's flowers though!

Enjoyed this trail, challenging but not too much. nice views.

Nice overlook at the top of the loop. We saw a black bear and deer along the trail. Well mark and easy to follow. Ran into some other hikers but the trail wasn’t crowed New to hiking- tired at the end but had a good time.

Absolutely loved this hike! Arrived at the Dickey's Ridge Visitors Center around 9:00am and didn't have any trouble finding parking, although it was starting to fill up. The trail felt more 'Moderate' than 'Easy', but it's probably as easy as it gets on a mountain, and it was a nice challenge for us. The view was lovely from the top, though we didn't stay long because there wasn't much shade there. The rest of the trail is thoroughly shaded, which was ideal for a sunny August hike. On the second half of the loop we did encounter a "teenage" bear who came down from a tree but wandered away from the trail. Our first visit to Shenandoah was an amazing one!

very nice and easy hike. Nearly all shaded which was a blessing in August. A beautiful view without a hard climb. Park at Dickey Ridge visitors center which has nice rest rooms, visitors center and visitas. Walk through picnic grounds until it brings you to cross skyline drive. Didnt find one tick or see one bear like other posts.

We misjudged our time available so only made it from the VC to the barn (going counterclockwise), then realized we’d better turn around and hustle back. I don’t recommend that approach - that short section is pretty mundane and without the view for a payoff. Most of the walk is along a fire road with electrical wires running overhead, which Isn’t my favorite.

Nice trail, shaded and not too rocky - great for trail running. Once you pass the farm, the path becomes narrow and somewhat isolated if you’re by yourself. The overlook was a wonderful surprise; I wasn’t expecting it at that point in the trail. Beautiful breeze and view. On the downhill, I saw a bear cub off in the distance- it didn’t see me; no sign of mama bear.

Nice views, cool farmhouse, overgrown in several areas.

As a new hiker this is a fabulous trail starting with the Snead Farm Loop up to Signal Knob which was absolutely gorgeous: wild flowers, various species of butterflies, bees, and birds, let alone the view, the cool breeze and the soaring raptor above me head. Then, all downhill on the way back to Dickey Ridge picnic area. My favorite Shenadoah Park hike so far!

Pretty easy trail with a nice view

Went counterclockwise to Snead farm first and then after that majority was uphill until getting to Dickey's point. Shortly after that was a nice clearing view. On the final stretch saw two Bear Cubs and the mama bear. also saw a turtle. Easy to moderate hike. Took about 2 hours.

Great trip. We went counter clockwise. Seemed to work just fine. Loved the great view in the middle, glad there's room for you to go up onto the hill above it too. Tons of ticks. And I mean tons. We removed at least 30 from our dog. This was in May

Good easy hike to do with your dog. If you go counter clockwise you can start on a road, pass the farm, then you eventually hit the beautiful view near the tail end of the trek. A great escape to nature without having to travel too far!

hiked with nuke - saw a bear and plenty deer.

The Sneed Farm hike is about 4 miles round trip. The climbs are reasonable. The view from the lookout is worth the effort. The trail is well maintained and mostly shaded.

Tue Nov 13 2018

Nice hike to do with my dog and teens on veterans day. We saw a bear driving in the park but not on the trail. The incline seems to be about 2/3 of the way in on clockwise. It was nice to go that route and get the scenic view of the valley/Front Royal.

Fri Nov 09 2018

Fun hike. got turned around and ended up turning left and hitting skyline drive instead of looping back to the visitor center (oops) so we added an extra 2 miles. otherwise, it was a fun walk in the woods..not too terribly steep. saw bears on the way back from the trail but not on the trail itself.

Tue Nov 06 2018

Love this hike! Done it 3 times but never all the loop. I found difficult to find where to turn if doing it counterclockwise. The first time I went, it was 06:00 AM and saw a bear in a tree.

Sun Oct 07 2018

Nice enjoyable hike. We were diverted several times due to a bear family in the area. Saw a lot of wildlife. Great hike for dogs! Very peaceful.

Tue Jun 05 2018

if you're looking for some solitude, this is one for you. 5Jun18-weekday afternoon overcast 70° hike. The whole Loop took about an hour and a half with stops. Drank 2 liters of water along the way. This hike started off at the Dickey gift shop and an incredible view of the Shenandoah Valley. The only people I saw the whole time on this hike was in that area. I never saw a soul on the loop except for my poles haha. as far as Wildlife goes, there were a lot of bear warning signs... But all I saw were squirrels (and one platypus ;-) I did the loop clockwise and it began by climbing for the first 20 minutes. this is where I broke the majority of my sweat. The trail is pretty even some rocky outgrowth. But It pretty much leveled out after that and was mostly downhill. There were a couple of Spurs I could not go to because I wore shorts....and I could see poison ivy creeping up over the trail. If I had the hike over again I would have work long pants for this time of year because of the poison ivy. When I got back to the parking lot, I just washed my calves and ankles with soap and water since the bathrooms were still open. all good :) The only place the trail got tricky to follow (because the overgrowth) was at The Farmhouse itself. I started going left when I was supposed to follow the trail down to the right, over a recent rain made Creek and then join a big trail. * Really nice peaceful hike, would love to do it again in the winter just to see how it looks then. Happy Travels! the RAWG

Tue Oct 10 2017

Pretty good trail to do with kids and dogs...well maintained. Counter-clockwise travel knocks out the steeper parts first.

Sat Aug 26 2017

Fun trail to do with your family. It has a couple of nice inclines/declines, but my 8, 6 and 4 year old boys were able to easily handle them. If you go clockwise on the trail and get to the TSA beacon, that is not the "summit". Go about 200 yards further on the main trail and you will not miss it.

Tue Aug 15 2017

It was good for what I wanted today. Would have liked more incline/declines, but just a nice hike/walk in the woods. Mostly deer for wildlife and my dog had fun. One nice overlook view on the loop.

Sun Jun 04 2017

Ok hike, pretty views at Dickies Hill but other than that not a hike I'd repeat. Went with Linda and Beth

Sun May 28 2017

its a nice walk through the woods, short and easy. trail a little narrow sometimes so beware of ticks from the grass. only one really good view from the trail but there is a nice picnic area and visitors center for the family.