Smart View Loop Trail is a 3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Ferrum, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.0 miles Elevation Gain: 442 feet Route Type: Loop

Only 2 “smart” views, both near the campground/picnic area and the historic cabin. Otherwise, a peaceful forest hike. Trail easy to follow, though app reported me being off route several times.

We did this yesterday for the third time since C-19 started, and didn't expect much company. Started around 10:30 and saw only one couple in the first half of the hike; stopped for a drink and rest at an overlook about halfway, but on the way back there were lots of groups, mostly with friendly dogs. Everybody was very considerate and jolly, getting properly socially distanced and promising not to breathe on us! When we returned to the parking lot, it was jammed. We had forgotten it was Mother's Day Sunday! Others have described the chief attractions of this hike, including the lovely wildflowers: one really cute little orchid I'd never seen before, lots of red columbine, pink trillium, fire pinks. But most impressive to me are the bridges and steps built by the park/forest service people. A big thank you to those who finance and build things for others to enjoy for free!

Beautiful wild Flowers in bloom all along the trail. lt was quite windy and cool. Almost no traffic.

Nice trail to hike during COVID19! We only passed 6 people the entire loop, and 4 were in one group! Nice trail, good workout!

Not my worst hike but not my favourite either. It was well marked but not in every area. I began at the end (going counter-clockwise) and would have preferred going in the other direction but didn't see the start (it's unlabeled but you start in the field, not the forest). There were a few unmarked split-offs, so if I wasn't following the AllTrails map, I'd have gone off trail. Not impressively scenic - more of a 'clear your mind by walking' kind of hike - especially with the limited cell reception. Not little kid-friendly because of drop-offs despite it being low-moderate. There are two trails connected to it but I doubt I'll be revisiting. If we do, it'll be in warmer seasons when the colours may make it more impressive.

A really nice hike. I'm not sure I would say it's fully a moderate hike. Maybe a high easy to low moderate. I didn't see people or bears on the hike until I returned to the parking lot. There I met a couple hiking. I went clockwise and feel that put the steeper climb first. It tapers down on the last 1/4 of the hike. It was a full 3 miles and it took me about an hour and a half. I stopped to take pictures several times and once to catch my breath. The views are great and this is a really enjoyable hike!

Simply fun.

Going in late October or early November is perfect to see the view from the ridge trail. Beautiful hike

On the easy end of moderate. nice hike. My gps said 3 miles even. I hiked counter-clockwise. Views are at the cabin only. nice trail, easy to follow.

Tue Jan 29 2019

Great hike! It can be a little hard on the knees for anyone who may have knee issues due to the constant up and down. It was a lot of fun! There is a cabin on the trail that was built sometime in the 1860s, so that was pretty cool to look at. Also, there were a lot of trees down so that's my only complaint.

Mon Jan 28 2019

Great hike. There are a lot of trees down, but the trail is pretty clear. Views are amazing in January!

Wed Jul 18 2018

We hike Smart View every year and it’s always a delight. Enough challenge to keep it interesting. Beautiful forest, creeks, and scenery. We didn’t see anyone else on the trail - only picnickers nearby. Enjoy!

Tue Sep 05 2017

Good leg-stretching trail. Not too crazy difficult but a decent workout. Best view is the one next to the cabin.

Tue Jul 18 2017

This was an okay trail. i didnt find it to be moderate. was an easier hike in my opinion. the old cabin and the view that goes along with it was definitely awesome.

Mon Nov 28 2016

A lightly traveled 2.6 mile scenic loop trail at Smart View Recreation Area on the Blue Ridge Parkway (milepost 154.5). It includes meadows with split rail fences, a couple bridges over streams and a pretty walk through the forest. There is also a late nineteenth century cabin with 'a right smart view.' You can shorten the hike by using a connector trail.

Mon Feb 03 2014

Came across this while driving down the parkway, stopped and thought why not. It was a moderate trail, some parts were harder than others, but overall this was a really good trail. I can't wait to do it again.

Sun Jun 23 2013

This was one of my favorite trails because it's flexible - could make it easy/short or a bit longer/moderate. Has a creek, and nice lookout. A portion of it is near the parkway so you could hear traffic, but not too bad. I like starting on the south side as it's slower incline, for about a mile or so. Then you go down/flat, then an incline again by the creek, and a nice cool-down for the last quarter mile, by the parkway. Just perfect, because you can change your mind half-way - if you planned a short run, you can extend, and if you planned a long run but not feeling it, you can cut it in several places. Somewhat popular in the summer because of the picnic areas that are there, but great on weekdays for a quick breather.