Skyline to Old Rag Mountain Loop

Skyline to Old Rag Mountain Loop is a 15.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Luray, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and backpacking and is best used from March until November.

Distance: 15.2 miles Elevation Gain: 4,566 feet Route Type: Loop

What a hike! This was our longest hiking adventure to date - we started at the Limberlost trailhead, hiking down Old Rag Fire Road to complete the full Old Rag loop in the counter-clockwise direction for a total of ~14.6 miles. The hike, including numerous breaks for rest, snacking, and taking in the sights, took a total of 10 hours. We completed the hike on a Friday (5/17/19) and often found ourselves alone to enjoy the natural beauty. We did even have a bear cub run out in front of us on the trail! After slowing things down to make sure Mom wasn’t near we kept moving with no issues. The summit views on both Old Rag and Robertson Mountain were worth the mileage, offering truly panoramic views of the park. The rock scramble (completed after the summit of Old Rag) was a new experiment for my wife and I - a very fun and new challenge. Definitely be prepared to exert some more upper body than on a typical hike. The descent down Old Rag immediately followed by the ascent of Robertson was the most difficult portion, we slowed down the pace here. Having hiking poles to take some of the pressure off the legs on these portions is highly recommended. The stretches of hiking between the summits did become repetitive at times and several were primarily gravel (the only reason for 4 vs. 5 stars). However, all of the trails were well maintained! A great way to experience Shenandoah!

Completed 04/03/19 - My 29th Birthday! . This trail was by far the hardest trail I’ve ever done personally, but with that being said; it was by far the best experience I’ve had while hiking to a summit! If you decide to take the counter clockwise route and head strait to the bolder scramble, the trail is a bit strenuous and you will likely exert a good bit of energy here, so take a slower pace. Beware for those who have little legs or less upper body strength, the rock scramble will be more difficult and you will likely need assistance if you have never done this type of thing; its requires some had over hand climbing on slippery rock faces. I’m a 5”3, 130lbs, I had to have my boyfriend give me a hand up more then a few times! Overall it was really fun and I will be doing it again in the future, see ya there! :P

Amazing hike! Completed 10/10/18. Started at the Limberlost Trailhead and took that to the Old Rag Fire Road to Weakley Hollow. Same route on the return after the clockwose loop. The 7 hour round trip with a few quick stops to eat, drink and enjoy the views. Prepare for a strenuous work out on the return trip to Skyline Dr. on the Old Rag Fire Road after completing the Old Rag Mountain section. Was sure I would encounter some bears or other wildlife on this trek but it was very quiet and solitary with exception of a few whitetail deer. Would do it again but would like to try one of the alternate routes to Old Rag such as Berry Hollow, Robertson Mountain or Corbin Hollow Trails. Cheers!

Sunday, March 25, 2018