Skyline Drive: Thornton Gap to Gooney Overlook

Skyline Drive: Thornton Gap to Gooney Overlook is a 26.2 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Front Royal, Virginia that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for road biking and scenic driving and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

historic site

scenic driving

Scenic and serene. This drive does not disappoint! I came over the holiday weekend when the entrance was free. This was definitely worth the trip with well maintained roads and beautiful outlooks if you want to stretch your legs. I recommend this drive to anyone who isn't afraid of mountains. I will definitely be back again!

Monday, October 24, 2016

beautiful!!!

Saturday, August 06, 2016

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Drove the entire length stopping at 69 of the 70 overlooks then returned to Waynesboro, VA by way of the Shenandoah Valley. Both directions were beautiful from the top of the ridge to the valley floor. Great views looking down and up.

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Wednesday, February 03, 2016

We are here more than any other drive. I love Skyline Drive.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Favorite park around. Drive is gorgeous. Trails are great and something for everyone. Get ready to see some bear

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Beautiful views of the Appalachians. I nice way to start a day trip.

Saturday, January 03, 2015

A very scenic drive for nearly the entire length. I certainly recommend spending multiple days, enjoying the overlooks and exploring the many trails. Be certain to enter the park with a full tank of gas, so you need not worry.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Beautiful drive and overlooks. We have hiked some of the trails off of here. Great for meteor showers too. Busy during "Leaf Peeping Season" but the colors are always wonderful.

Tuesday, May 07, 2013

I have done this on foot and many times by car. The road follows the mountain peeks and ridges so the views just keep coming. Be sure to eat in the restaurant at Skyland.

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Although this is a wonderful drive, the A trail runs along the drive all the way. By foot is a wonderful way to see it. I love to do my meals on a rock with a view.

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park is a great place for car sightseeing any time of year, but is most beautiful during the Spring and Fall. If you live in the D.C. metropolitan area, this is an amazing (and close!) place to go to see some beautiful scenery. There are plenty of places to stop for photos and a handful of places to stop to have a picnic.

Monday, June 25, 2012

Unbelievably beautiful with a continuous view and areas to park, take photographs, have a picnic, etc, are all over the place. PLEASE DO NOT GO OVER THE 30 MPH SPEED LIMIT. It's really easy to forget that this road is meant for sightseeing and not getting from point A to point B.

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Friday, November 04, 2011

Great drive....but busy in the fall since the fall colors make the park very popular. Still, it's worth fighting the crowds to see this amazing piece of America. Both times we drove it we saw bears....some in the trees and some eating off of the apple trees. The speed limit is a nice relaxing 35 MPH through countless incredible overlooks showcasing the beautiful Shenandoah valley. Take the time to stop at one to view the sunset.

Monday, October 17, 2011

I love this area and all the trails. Everytime I visit here I pick a new trail to walk. Whiteoak canyon, Hawksbill, Dark Hollow falls, and Lewis falls trail. Stoney Man is my next challenge. I also give myself 3 hours because I never know how steep it is to me or how rocky they can be. Not to dissuade anyone. It's wonderful to see and to reward yourself with spectacular views and cool waterfalls. Good hiking day trippers. Tall walking stick/water bottle/ small digital camera/ safe hiking boots.