Signal Knob Loop Trail

Signal Knob Loop Trail is a 9.8 mile loop trail located near Fort Valley, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Strasburg, VA: Take SR 55 east for about 5 miles to Waterlick. Then take SR 678 south for 5 miles to the Elizabeth Furnace Recreation Area. The trailhead is at the Bear Wallow / Signal Knob parking lot on SR 678 approximately 1 mile north of the Elizabeth Furnace Picnic Area.

Worthwhile challenge.

I can't comment on the whole trail. We hiked with our 4-year old and carried our 1-year old, so we only went as far as the Buzzard Rock Overlook, had lunch, and returned back the way we came. This was an excellent little out and back hike. We were lucky, as the mountain laurel was in full bloom, and it is plentiful along this trail. So the trail was surrounded by white and pink blooms in some sections, almost creating the feeling of being in a narrow tunnel of color. It was pretty incredible. The footing was a bit rocky, but it gave our 4-year old no trouble, so nothing too strenuous for adult hikers in this first section of the trail. Also, we saw a limited number of other hikers, so the trail provided an intermediate level of solitude.

Super tough and rocky but very fun!!

Great hike! Good mix of very challenging and calm. Be aware that the majority of the the paths are not smooth but are very rocky.

This was an enjoyable trail and quite a workout for my 54 year old bones. Left the parking lot at 9:15 and arrived back at 3:30. As mentioned, it is rocky and a good pair of hiking boots, plenty of water, snacks and a back up portable charger for your phone is a must. I use my phone for pics, video, etc and it went dead at a creek while I was taking video. Not that big of a deal but I saw 3 other people the entire length of my hike. Had something happened...

I particularly enjoyed the uphill section all the way to the radio tower. Great view at the Signal Knob outlook area. The gravel road (1.2 miles) down from the knob is just that, a gravel road. After the gravel road, the blue blazed Tuscarora Trail up the ridge is steepest ascent section of this entire loop.

Wasn't too populated when we went. Really beautiful scenery. Just difficult enough to challenge a newbie, but not enough that it can't easily be tackled with a little sore muscles the next day. Brought my dog. Trails are well marked but parking wasn't.

I did not dislike this trail per se, but it just wasn't as challenging nor as 'scenic' as I had hoped. In my opinion, none of the elevation gains or technical areas really warrant a Hard rating. As others have noted, the trail is very rocky, and might put a hard strain on your feet and ankles without proper footwear.

You can do either the full circuit of ~10 miles or hike counterclockwise to Signal Knob and back and do about 7.5-8 miles. Either way, you will get a solid workout

Great trail for a day hike that was fairly technical and rocky. There were also plenty of options for camping.

Hike the loop in one day -- the GWNF map says the loop is 10.6miles. Headed East first, where the trail is the rockiest. It's definitely a rocky trail -- especially for the first five miles from the east side of the parking lot to Signal Knob. If headed up in the fall, the leaves make it difficult to choose steps wisely -- but also provide some amazing views and gorgeous colors. Great loop. There is a bit of trail on an old fire road (between signal knob and the blue blazed trail). Otherwise, almost all the rest of the trail is in the middle of covered Forrest. Well marked. Easy to follow. Impressed with anyone who mountain bikes the loop. It would not be easy.

This hike was a great technical challenge for me. I have a shattered ankle and ACL. It tested my abilities and I was able to unearth my limitations. If you are following the directions on this website you will start with an accent that keeps going until the summit. The trail is well kept and is almost 98 percent rocky. There are no large scrambles but the soft and flat ground is rarely seen. If there are no rocks then there are roots. Previously I did Billy Goat and was using it as a gauge of time. Big mistake. This is nothing like Billy Goat. Signal Knob is the real deal. I found the blazes marked well. I brought a print out of the directions and they came in handy. There are a few off shoots but I wanted to concentrate on the main loop trail. I found the docents much more difficult to traverse than the accents. I woke up muscles that have been dormant during the descents. Definitely recommend trekking poles although we passed a few hikers without. Got to the trailhead about 9am and back to the parking lot by 3:30pm. I highly recommend this trail for those who want to test their bodies and others that just want to have a good time.

Great loop. Two assents actually. Great on trail camping as well with fire pits and sites abundant. The second assent up Bear Wallow is quite demanding with a 3/4 mile demanding climb. Nice quite off trail camping is very close at Elizabeth Furnace Campground.

We stretched this into a two-day trip in early August: arrived Friday evening, parked across the road from the Elizabeth Furnace Campgrounds (Mudhole Gap trailhead/Purple). We camped at a campground near Signal Knob trailhead the first night. The trail is very rocky, you'll definitely need sturdy hiking boots if you're carrying heavy equipments. Tree leaves in the summer makes the scenery not so great on the trail. We went a little further down orange trail and camped by Strasburg Reservoir the second night. Bring more water than you think you'll need, you won't get water on the loop. There are some clear creeks near the reservoir, and fair amount of berries. No wildlife sighting aside from a gecko.