Shockeys Knob Loop

Shockeys Knob Loop is a 6.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Shockeysville, Virginia that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

going clockwise is the better route. use yellow blaze up to blue blaze at tuscarora. Can lose trail at shckeys knob. Grateful All Trails has location feature to show you your position relative to the trail. Tuscarora trail poorly maintained and poorly marked. Again you can lose your bearings but the app was good. Only negative was the app kept freezing up.

Not bad. If you go clockwise you ascend to a ridge line and then the hike turns into a easy stroll along a flat ORV trail until you turn left again and descend back down to the parking area.

white blaze is this trail. views on Tuscarora trail blue blaze. bear tracks were cool

Pulled over 11 ticks off my dog after this hike. The middle half of the loop has not been maintained and it’s easy to lose the trail. There wasn’t a designated overlook either if that’s something you’re looking for.

Completed this one yesterday, with my almost 3 year old. Its a beautiful hike. I'd suggest starting at millrace trail and start the hike clock wise. My toddler did great on the switchbacks and we prefer to do the hard part first, so we didnt mind the ATV trail at the end. Looks like someone made it just to complete the loop and take care of the trail/shelter. The shelter is amazing and you can tell vehicular access is needed. You have to cross brush creek and there are a few trees down (easy to go around), but weve literally had record breaking rains/winds in this are recently so I'm sure the trees will be cleared soon. We saw NO trash. This trail is being kept very nice!!! it is beautiful!!!! Can't wait to go back.

Arrived at the trailhead at 9:30 for what was to be a 6.3 mile loop. We elected to begin the trail on the foot path as opposed to walking the ATV trail through the gate. Climbed 1.7 miles up the side of the mountain and began running, when possible- going counter clockwise at the T. To this point it was a typical East Coast hardwood forest rocky trail with spring just emerging. Spectacular really. One detractor on the ascent was the sound rifle fire from the local firing range sleepy Creek. Had hunted here before many years ago and kind of forgot about that location. Not a sound I would like to get used to hiking but we were out of ear shot eventually. There was some sign of Horse traffic and even bear poop. Once up on the ridge there were areas that were just perfect for trail running. Rock outcrops, great vistas and simply lovely to run. I made the mistake of geeking out on really large rock formation which happened to be right after the turn we should’ve made to head back down the truck. A major oops. Ended up doing 13.86 miles. Thankfully we are prepping for long trail run, the West Virginia trilogy out in Dolly sods area, so we were well stocked with hydration and snacks. Bottom line, this is a great hike, but you purists might not enjoy the ATV trails. It’s not The At. If there are any botanists out there, maybe you can explain the species devils Walkingstick that I found at the aforementioned rock outcrop. Species I’ve seen down on Maryland Eastern shore and I thought it was a wetland species. Thanks to all the rest of you who have shared this post and remember don’t miss your right turn (doing the loop counter clockwise) unless
you got a lot of snacks and a lot of H2O. Enjoy the trail and happy Spring.

Hiked this March 4 2018. We did it counterclockwise. The first half of this hike was not enjoyable due to the ATV/truck damage to the trail - deep muddy ruts - and trash everywhere (McDonalds containers, plastic oil containers, beer cans etc). Won't bother going back - lots of other places to hike!

Trail was ok, nothing fancy about it. There a couple spots at the very top that had a decent view but during the hike it was pretty average. I’ve been hiking a lot during the winter months and don’t see many people, but this trail doesn’t look like it’s a highly used one which is good as well.
Had to refer to the map a few times to pick up the trail but it was marked decent most of the way.

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Fine for a little exercise (trail running). Great place to be if you're just looking for some solitude in the woods. Not the place to go if you're looking for big payoffs and epic views. Worth checking out for the solitude.

Thursday, August 31, 2017

No overlook, trail markers changes color, twice.

Monday, August 07, 2017

We started off behind the gate and I think next time I would start off on the yellow blazed trail to the left of the gate. The round trip hike took us 4 hours exactly with a short 15-20 minute snack break. You can't really see the mountain views while on the trails except for a couple of spots. There are a couple of spots where we weren't sure which way to go and had to consult the map. All in all it was a nice hike.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Up hill at first not marked good.Top is a beautiful view.off the trail a bit,is a bathroom and shelter.and off a bit again is a covered spring n ground.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Nice trail if you are just looking for a few miles to do or want to be alone in the woods. Not the most scenic hike but a few nice overlooks. If you follow directions from this app once it says you have arrived via gps there's a small dirt road on the right take that down to the parking lot and the trail starts either to the left at millrace trail or behind the red gate on the road.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

This is a good trail but not to be hiked till fall, the ticks are terrible here. Had over 50 on me and the dog!!!! The entrance is to the left of the red gate sign posted on a tree. Have your phone charged and use the GPS as the trail is not clearly marked.

Monday, May 01, 2017

There is a lot to write about. First, I had gps on my phone to ensure we were walking the path right. Since there is no map and this is private property, it was a safety measure on our end. The address goes to 706 Packhorse.. it's on a dirt road behind a few houses. it rained the night before and a little in the morning so be careful. I have a Chevy Cobalt and was able to steer around the muddy potholes. I parked right next to the red gate. The trail starts kind of behind the house... it has a yellow blaze and says will/millhouse trail (can't remember exactly). We went clockwise on the trail because of the longevity and trust me.... you're better off doing it that way.
Basically, you follow that trail... it's pretty defined by the blazes and the path. You'll get to a stream and have to cross it....Make sure you have waterproof boots...we crossed it no problem because we have goretex boots. The path is pretty tough as there are short switch backs meaning the incline was intense.
You'll reach the end of that trail and will need to go right. The blazes will be blue. Once you reach the top, the rest of the hike is easy. You'll have some nice views, going through a nice path of flowers, etc. It was nice and peaceful and we didn't run into anyone at all. You go down pretty steep... just look at the trail and the elevation information, that helped a lot.
We had 3 Liters of water which was fine. I loved it so thank you to whoever made it!

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Pretty good hike. Had a hard time finding the starting point, but a beautiful Forrest setting.

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Great workout, better vistas

Saturday, February 18, 2017

It was a fun and challenging hike for our family of 7, ages 6-teenage. They had fun climbing on the various rock formations and there was a pretty stream and many overlooks on both sides of the ridge along the way. So nice that it wasn't crowded and super close to Winchester. Only saw a few other hikers the entire time. Took us about 3.5 hours with lots of stops to explore.

Friday, December 30, 2016

close access to sleepy creek wildlife management area with wilderness camping on lake

recorded 10G