Shockeys Knob Loop

Shockeys Knob Loop is a 6.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Shockeysville, Virginia that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Fine for a little exercise (trail running). Great place to be if you're just looking for some solitude in the woods. Not the place to go if you're looking for big payoffs and epic views. Worth checking out for the solitude.

No overlook, trail markers changes color, twice.

We started off behind the gate and I think next time I would start off on the yellow blazed trail to the left of the gate. The round trip hike took us 4 hours exactly with a short 15-20 minute snack break. You can't really see the mountain views while on the trails except for a couple of spots. There are a couple of spots where we weren't sure which way to go and had to consult the map. All in all it was a nice hike.

Up hill at first not marked good.Top is a beautiful view.off the trail a bit,is a bathroom and shelter.and off a bit again is a covered spring n ground.

Nice trail if you are just looking for a few miles to do or want to be alone in the woods. Not the most scenic hike but a few nice overlooks. If you follow directions from this app once it says you have arrived via gps there's a small dirt road on the right take that down to the parking lot and the trail starts either to the left at millrace trail or behind the red gate on the road.

This is a good trail but not to be hiked till fall, the ticks are terrible here. Had over 50 on me and the dog!!!! The entrance is to the left of the red gate sign posted on a tree. Have your phone charged and use the GPS as the trail is not clearly marked.

There is a lot to write about. First, I had gps on my phone to ensure we were walking the path right. Since there is no map and this is private property, it was a safety measure on our end. The address goes to 706 Packhorse.. it's on a dirt road behind a few houses. it rained the night before and a little in the morning so be careful. I have a Chevy Cobalt and was able to steer around the muddy potholes. I parked right next to the red gate. The trail starts kind of behind the house... it has a yellow blaze and says will/millhouse trail (can't remember exactly). We went clockwise on the trail because of the longevity and trust me.... you're better off doing it that way.
Basically, you follow that trail... it's pretty defined by the blazes and the path. You'll get to a stream and have to cross it....Make sure you have waterproof boots...we crossed it no problem because we have goretex boots. The path is pretty tough as there are short switch backs meaning the incline was intense.
You'll reach the end of that trail and will need to go right. The blazes will be blue. Once you reach the top, the rest of the hike is easy. You'll have some nice views, going through a nice path of flowers, etc. It was nice and peaceful and we didn't run into anyone at all. You go down pretty steep... just look at the trail and the elevation information, that helped a lot.
We had 3 Liters of water which was fine. I loved it so thank you to whoever made it!

Pretty good hike. Had a hard time finding the starting point, but a beautiful Forrest setting.

Great workout, better vistas

It was a fun and challenging hike for our family of 7, ages 6-teenage. They had fun climbing on the various rock formations and there was a pretty stream and many overlooks on both sides of the ridge along the way. So nice that it wasn't crowded and super close to Winchester. Only saw a few other hikers the entire time. Took us about 3.5 hours with lots of stops to explore.

close access to sleepy creek wildlife management area with wilderness camping on lake

Saturday, April 18, 2015