Shockeys Knob Loop

Shockeys Knob Loop is a 6.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Shockeysville, Virginia that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is a good trail but not to be hiked till fall, the ticks are terrible here. Had over 50 on me and the dog!!!! The entrance is to the left of the red gate sign posted on a tree. Have your phone charged and use the GPS as the trail is not clearly marked.

There is a lot to write about. First, I had gps on my phone to ensure we were walking the path right. Since there is no map and this is private property, it was a safety measure on our end. The address goes to 706 Packhorse.. it's on a dirt road behind a few houses. it rained the night before and a little in the morning so be careful. I have a Chevy Cobalt and was able to steer around the muddy potholes. I parked right next to the red gate. The trail starts kind of behind the house... it has a yellow blaze and says will/millhouse trail (can't remember exactly). We went clockwise on the trail because of the longevity and trust me.... you're better off doing it that way.
Basically, you follow that trail... it's pretty defined by the blazes and the path. You'll get to a stream and have to cross it....Make sure you have waterproof boots...we crossed it no problem because we have goretex boots. The path is pretty tough as there are short switch backs meaning the incline was intense.
You'll reach the end of that trail and will need to go right. The blazes will be blue. Once you reach the top, the rest of the hike is easy. You'll have some nice views, going through a nice path of flowers, etc. It was nice and peaceful and we didn't run into anyone at all. You go down pretty steep... just look at the trail and the elevation information, that helped a lot.
We had 3 Liters of water which was fine. I loved it so thank you to whoever made it!

Pretty good hike. Had a hard time finding the starting point, but a beautiful Forrest setting.

Great workout, better vistas

It was a fun and challenging hike for our family of 7, ages 6-teenage. They had fun climbing on the various rock formations and there was a pretty stream and many overlooks on both sides of the ridge along the way. So nice that it wasn't crowded and super close to Winchester. Only saw a few other hikers the entire time. Took us about 3.5 hours with lots of stops to explore.

close access to sleepy creek wildlife management area with wilderness camping on lake

Saturday, April 18, 2015