Sharp Top Trail

Sharp Top Trail is a 2.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bedford, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,227 feet Route Type: Out & Back

partially paved

NOTE: As of January 2020, the bathrooms are closed during the winter.

icy

Good beginner trail or if you’re just getting back into hiking shape.

Beautiful hike! It did get a little icy towards the top but nothing too bad.

Extra trail for crashed plane

Great trail and a great workout. Crucial to have proper hiking shoes as it can be a little rocky. Took us about 45 min to an hour to reach the summit. The view is stunning. Definitely want to take plenty of pictures.

Great trail and amazing views. The stairs are a huge pain to get through, but there are plenty of places along the way to rest. The view is 100% worth it. Would love to go again.

Completed in April 2018 (just joined AllTrails ;-). Moderate short hike (not difficult). Crowded with families/ kids...breezy at the top (take a windbreaker),... facilities were CLOSED in mid April, but the trail was open. Fun steep hike with a Nice vista at the top!

Went for sun rise on New Year’s Day. Beautiful view, but get there at least 15 early because the top fills up quick. Trail was in excellent shape, I wasn’t. Definitely coming back this Spring.

great trail. wear proper hiking shoes, as many portions are rocky. I went with my dog and it was great. 2:15 to complete with short rest stops.

Amazing view

This was a great hike, moderate at times and difficult in others. Lots of steps and rocks in the final half mile of the hike but totally worth the end result. Easily some of the best views in the Blue Ridge Mountains. It was chilly at the top and I was glad I carried an extra long sleeve. Mildly busy this beautiful fall day in the low 60’s

Beautiful vista. Just FYI all the bathrooms are closed for the winter.

I enjoyed this trail. The sign at the base said it would take an hour and a half, it took me just under an hour to reach the top with a few breaks. Not super difficult, no climbing just hiking, and the path was fairly easy to follow.

This hike was not that hard, the steepness of it was fairly gradual (or at least I thought it was). I would recommend it if you want a nice hike that is fairly scenic throughout the route but not exceptionally scenic at any point.

icy

This was a very nice trail. I’m an experienced and avid hiker and would definitely not rate this as hard. This is an easy-medium hike in my opinion. We brought a 5 and 6 year old with us and they were able to do it without any complaining at all. Gorgeous views from the top. Highly recommend this trail!

Great trail, amazing views from top

This is a very beautiful trail. Was my second time going up it, this time with my son. It is pretty steep with some (very few) leveled areas. My son is six though and he would have ran up it if it wasn’t for me saying slow down. So definitely take the kids. You will be rewarded very well at the top with views, in my opinion, that rival McAfee Knob.

Beautiful. Just beautiful. The trail is steep and can be strenuous, but the view at the top is more than worth it. If you have weak knees that can’t handle going down a steep hill (which I honestly thought needed more care than going up), then there are shuttles available on certain days and time.

This hike is gorgeous. My 9, 6, and 4 year old boys were able to make it up to the top and back down with no problems, we just took it slow for the smallest one. The views from the top are beautiful and there are plenty of rocks for kids to explore on the way up.

Stunning 360-degree view at the top! Be aware though, the difficulty must not be judged by it's distance; this is a *mad* rate of ascent - very rare to find a trail that elevates 1000ft per mile of travel. The aggregate difficulty of this hike is offset by a lack of technical difficulty; the maintenance of the trail is excellent, if only slightly rocky. Steps are cut into the stone throughout much of the hike. Give yourself 2 hours to finish - 1 hour if you're a trailrunner.

Nice trail, but it was very foggy so I couldn't see the views. I would come back on a clear day and I would think the views are amazing.