Sharp Top Trail

Sharp Top Trail is a 2.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bedford, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Well I probably won't do it again as I am almost 60 and didn't realize the difficulty for someone in moderately good health. BUT, it was breathtaking at the top and I was glad I did it. Also, my little dog Kali did too!

Great! Did this hike with my 3 year old grandson. He was a trooper and loved the hike. Now he calls Sharp Top our mountain when he sees it from Lynchburg.

Great views but this trail has become so busy with LU Students by the dozens that is lost some of its luster. Best experienced during the week for less traffic.

Decent hike! Beautiful view for the sunset!

A steep climb, but the views are worth it.

Awesome. Pretty steep at points, the rock stairs help out. Definitely a great day hike! Had to stop quite a few times to catch my breath, plenty of good views to take in. Next on the agenda is Flat top!

Took this trail for the first time yesterday with my 25 lb dog. We both loved it, easy at first but as you get closer to the top the rock steps are steep and windy, but amazing view, I wouldn't recommend for small children but great for the 4 legged friends!

Sharp Top is challenging because of the amount of elevation change in such a short trail. The best tip I can think of is to wear decent shoes and bring lots of water. It's a short trail so you can take your time.

You'll spend much of your time on rock steps of some variety. Rewarding, but I would only recommend it if you're in decent shape. If you can complete a 5k in ~30 minutes, you can pull it off without much trouble.

Note that in summer months, the ticks can get thick at the top. I recommend the fall or spring. We ran in to a swarm near the old stone building at the summit.

As a Liberty Alumni, this a staple for Virginians. The hike is relatively short, but challenging. Trail is well maintained; it is even paved near the top. Plenty of good peekaboo views to encourage you along the way and for breaks. Not to mention the 360º views from the top are as good as it gets in the Apps. You can see for miles across plains to east and rolling mountains to the west. Sunrise hikes are also spectacular here, just bring proper lighting (and you will likely avoid the crowds).

Went up for New Years sunrise. Tough trail to do in the dark. Bring a good headlamp or flashlight. Peak is really cool. Strenuous on the knees coming down.

It was a cool and rainy day, but what an awesome hike. The view is incredible! You'll defiantly want a trail shoe for this hike because of the rocks and mud. If your visiting or live in the area I highly encourage you to do this hike. It's 3 miles round trip.