Learn more

Sharp Top Trail is a 2.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bedford, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 2.6 mi Elevation gain 1,227 ft Route type Out & Back

Rocky

Scramble

Description
Waypoints (0)

Please note that the bathroom, store, and visitor center is currently closed due to COVID 19.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (713)
Photos (544)
Recordings (344)
Completed (1774)
Chris Mundy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 8, 2020

great trail. uphill all the way. Flies were terrible at the top but the views were awesome

Laura H.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 8, 2020
HikingRocky

Definitely a ‘hard’ trail. Lots of rocks and rock steps. Beautiful though...except when the clouds and fog moved in 15 min before I got to the top. Saw NOTHING except clouds, unfortunately. My son got up there ahead of me and took some beautiful pictures.

Hayley Adams
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 2, 2020
HikingGreat!
Janis C.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2020
View Janis 's Recording
Nagendra Ravilla
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 25, 2020
View Nagendra's Recording
Jeff Manaois
Hiking

Awesome hike... short and tough but great payoff at the top. Definitely want to go back to see a sunrise from here.

View Jeff's Recording
Autumn Goebel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 21, 2020
Hiking

Hard but gosh a great view at the end!

Deanna Kubik
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 20, 2020
Hiking

Great trail. You’re definitely climbing the whole way up, no real spot that levels off. But it isn’t so sharp an incline that the hike becomes difficult. The view at the top is lovely! Sadly, many people leave trash and so there was an abundance of flys/flying bugs at the top taking advantage of the litter.

DMH Kennedy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 15, 2020
HikingRocky

Great hike as always. Took 4 kids, ages 12 down to 4. We went at the 4 year olds pace (the 10 year old ran back and forth and probably did double the miles we did) so a slower go up to the top for us but she did it by herself without being carried so we call that a win. We also did buzzards roost. 5 total miles according to the map and 3.5 hours which included a lengthy snack and lunch break. Active families will have no problem with this climb. We went early and on a Tuesday so only a handful of people on the trail.

Jared Goldman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 8, 2020
HikingRocky

If you’re in decent shape I’d say this is moderate to moderate hard. I get my 10,000 steps per day but otherwise don’t exercise and found this a good workout but didn’t ever feel the need to stop nor did I feel any real strain on my calves. I went on a partially cloudy day which was amazing. My friend and I were actually walking through the clouds. Unfortunately once we got to the very top a big, fat cloud was sitting right on us so we couldn’t see anything except it. We did get beautiful views once out of the cloud on the way down. The walk down is a bit tough on the knees.

View Jared's Recording
Patrick Divver
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 2, 2020
Hiking

Well worth every step. Is extremely steep in places and lots of stairs. But in my opinion, it was between moderate and hard.

View Patrick's Recording
John Mckee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 30, 2020
Hiking

If your reasonably fit then this is an easy hike. If you don’t like climbing steps then this is not for you. Great views at the top. Although the fire road is easier to get down it’s a longer route and generally not allowed. The route up is advertised as 1.4 miles but seems longer

kathy prater
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 27, 2020
Hiking

4 stars ONLY because it gets way to crowded fast and the LITTER. OMG..its gotten horrible..bags, napkins, towels, beer cans, bottles, wrappers and the poor shelter. The hike is steep but I would not have classified it as hard if you hike up mountains in the area. What makes this great is it's short, the views, trail path is good, and yes your legs will get a workout. I am fluffy and find this one a great work out. It takes me any where from 2 hrs to 2.5 hours. another great part is go right to buzzards peak..awesome view or scale down the mountain to see the bomber crash from 1943. PS...its a good sunrise hike.

Katee Bartlett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 27, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Three stars only because of the views at the top. When it says “hard” it means HARD. I’ve done hard trails before but definitely nothing like this. I literally wanted to die the entire way up and almost fell many many times on the way down. It’s incredibly steep in parts and very rocky. When you first start you might think “hey this isn’t so bad. What’s that chick talking about?” But the further you go the steeper it gets. Also, It felt significantly longer than 2.5 miles out, considering it took us almost 2.5 hours to finish the trail, and the signage posted by the park service says it’s at least 2.9 miles (they split the trail up). The summit is beautiful and almost makes it worth it but I would rather eat my own boot than climb this again.

Brooke Denham
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 25, 2020
Rocky

This is not a trail for the faint of heart. The whole hike is basically uphill the entire time. The view at the top is beautiful and you can see 360 around the mountain. Just make sure you check the weather. I forgot to check if it was gonna rain and I ended up coming down the mountain in the middle of a thunderstorm.

Brian Carter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 20, 2020
Hiking

Steep and rocky. A lot of pain getting to the top, but worth the view.

View Brian's Recording
Tom Bertram
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 15, 2020

Great views

Julie Winskie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 10, 2020
Hiking

A must do in Roanoke Valley area. Very strenuous and hardest part is the constant incline. Several good places to regroup and set your own pace though. Trail well maintained and only 2-3 difficult/uneven rock steps. Very manageable with good shoes and a sturdy walking stick. 100% worth the views.

John Schanck
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 6, 2020
HikingGreat!

One of the best hikes in Virginia. It is a strenuous hike but the views are worth the effort. My 13 and 9 year old completed the hike - the 9 year old did complain a little. The views from the top are amazing...highly recommended. Hiked this trail twice so far - if you've got visitors in town would recommend this trail or McAfee Knob.

Jack Ratcliffe
Hiking

My Wife and I took this Hike in 6-6-20 , Saturday . We both in our 70's ! One tough Hike for old folks that have hiked all over, Don't Under Estimate this hike. One Tough Climb and I've hiked some great hikes on the AP Trail . Loved It and worth the View ! Wear some good hiking shoes and plenty of Water ! Trail was very crowded coming back down, we started at 7:15 AM .. Worth your time, Just get this one in when you're young.....

Caroline Scott
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 2, 2020
HikingBugsRocky

This trail was so fun!! It is extremely steep all the way up, especially at the end. 10/10 worth the view.. absolutely beautiful

Mack Meller
Hiking

Really fun hike. Very steep the whole way up but not to the point of being technical or requiring scrambles. Views at the top are awesome. Definitely pretty crowded though even at 5pm on a Tuesday afternoon.

Jane Ellis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 1, 2020
HikingRocky

Loved it. Definitely challenging for me and my short-legged dog, but doable. Gorgeous 360-degree views. My dog had more trouble going down than up because it was a lot of jumping downhill for him. He’s a Welsh terrier

lol i'm a savage
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 1, 2020
Snow

it was to easy

Lindsey Conklin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 31, 2020
HikingRocky

If you’re up for a steep, rocky challenge then this is the trail for you! The elevation gain is pretty consistent at the start (although less rocks than the top) and I took many pauses to catch my breath. I was very focused on the rocks for the majority of the hike but really liked that there were rock steps on the second portion of the hike - made it easier to wend my way up. The top feels like it’s “just around the bend” many times so it requires a bit of patience to make it but the views are worth it! I liked that the trail was so well maintained and fairly wide at the start. It does get narrower in the rocky crevices up top. This wouldn’t be a monthly hike for me but definitely a yearly challenge hike. I have a spry pointer/collie mix and she got up the rocks effortlessly. All total, it took us two hours. There were quite a few cars when we got there around 8am and we passed a few groups on the way down but it didn’t feel overcrowded.

Lauren Bridgman-Fralin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 30, 2020
Hiking

It’s VERY steep and rocky but the payoff is amazing.

View Lauren's Recording
Michele Shannon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 25, 2020
Hiking

Great trail! I cannot believe we’ve lived here 14 years and never been. There is practically a castle at the top! It was super foggy so we couldn’t see but it was totally worth it. HARD hike up because of steepness. Take lots of water. I see some reviews that said too Gard for dogs. Our Golden retriever did great. No pictures show the true beauty of this hike. We’re more sore than our 4 mile hike a few weeks ago. Cannot wait you go again. Took about 2.5-3 hours. We went to buzzard rock overlook first which was cool and then Sharp top. Lots of people of all ages and fitness. Plan for rest stops unless you’re crazy fit.

Lexi Swanson

great views and fairly well maintained, but if the clouds are moving in, hedge your bets on buzzards roost instead. id say the views were even better there and it's a little bit shorter to get to (but on the same trailhead)