Sharp Top Trail

Sharp Top Trail is a 2.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bedford, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

partially paved

Lovely hike! I found it to be a bit easier than Flat Top, next door. Trail is in good condition (for now; snow storms this weekend will change that), despite the lapse in appropriations due to the government shutdown. I did, however, pick up a lot of litter. Please remember that even biodegradable items like citrus peels are trash on the trail. Check it out: https://lnt.org/about/faq/can-i-leave-biodegradable-waste-eg-apple-core-or-banana-peel-woods-long-i-hide-or-burry-it. If you have the energy, consider bringing a trash bag to pack out trash during the shutdown to minimize our impact on these great resources. Bathrooms are closed now, but the Blue Ridge Parkway approaching Peaks of Otter from the South is still open. The parkway is closed just North of this area. Be sure to check out Buzzard Roost while you're there; just a quick jaunt to your right once you reach the ridge (you might see this rock outcropping to your right on your ascent and think it's Sharp Top). Sharp Top itself has many "false summits," as you approach, but you'll know you're there when you see the building/signs. Excellent, unobstructed views. Highly recommended!

Stats (all including Buzzard Roost)
3.30 miles RT
1438 ft. elevation gain
1:30 hours RT

Clean trail, not overpopulated, amazing view!!

This was my third visit to Sharp Top. 61° at the base parking on New year's day. Legs burnnin a third of the way up. Too many stone steps to count but a great workout! The view is wonderful! Unfortunately it was blowin a Gale on the summit decided not to do Buzzards Roost. Definitely do this one!

LOVED this hike! It was very icy at the top and definitely as hard as the app says, but the view at the top is worth it!! I took my two dogs who both did great. It’s well mapped and everyone I passed was extremely friendly. It got there at 10 am on a Sunday and it wasn’t too crowded, but when I let the parking lot was full.

Fantastic views. Very crowded when we went on a Saturday. Buzzard's Roost, on a short trail a few hundred feet away, has some awesome boulders to climb onto for a nice panorama.

This was me and my boyfriends first hike, we’ve never hiked before and wanted to try something adventurous. We started around 11am and got to the top around 12:05. It’s supposed to take 1 hr 30 min if your walking at a decent pace but we walked a little faster due to the steepness of the hike. Don’t be fooled this hike is very steep and will wear your body out if you are not used to hiking or long walking. But I will say the view is absolutely stunning and I am now in love with hiking and can’t wait to hike more. This will be a hike that I want to do again for sure soon!! Normally you should hike something a little moderate if your not used to it I’m sure but it was so worth it. Will be coming back for sure, we loved every second of it !!

A great warm hike. Don’t be deceived by the short distance!! This hike will get you breathing hard and everything pumping... A great 360 view at the top.

Amazing view! Steep climb, but totally worth it.

we came completely unprepared with our 1 yr old and 3 yr old. our 1 yr old was carried by her daddy 98% of the time and our 3 yr old walked up it all by herself. she got carried on daddy's shoulders for half the way down.
we didn't bring any water except the 1 yr old bottle that me and her big sister took a drink of at the top of the mountain.
regardless of hardly being able to move today because I'm out of shape for the last 10 yrs. and because I forgot tennis shoes so I got a pair at dollar general that were 1/2 size to big.
it was still worth every step. so beautiful.
wish I would have got this app sooner to record our progress which was roughly 3.5 hours!!! lol :)

So worth it. The views are amazing- a complete 360. We went in the middle of summer so it was super hot. At least 1/3 of the hike has stairs, but still bring your hiking shoes! this hike is no picnic even when you have a picnic at the top. When I go back to Virginia, I am definitely doing this hike again. - I wouldn’t suggest little kids on this hike, it’s a longer hike, ( I am 13) . If you are thinking about hiking either Sharp Top or Flat Top, we hiked both and I’ll say, Sharp Top is a much better bet. Flat Top isn’t marked so we had trouble finding our way and the views have trees in the way.

great hike. definitely worth the view at the top. if you're adventurous ne sure to check out buzzards roost. for the novice it's a difficult (hard) trail for the experienced it's moderate. have fun and be safe. let's roll out.

difficult but worth the view!

Beautiful scenery, challenging hike, wonderful views.

I’ve been hiking this for almost 30 years. It is one of my favorite hikes and different every time. The view at the top makes it all worth while.

Fun, short hike. Started early on a weekday morning and ended up having the entire top to myself. Clear day, great views, and light breeze.

steep trail, beautiful at the top

Loved this hike, The view at the top is amazing. But the bugs at the top were INSANE. Never seen such a swarm of them in my life.

First time ever doing this hike and I loved it! Definitely worth it!

Great hike, beautiful views!

This was a wonderful hike! Moderate level, in my opinion, and I am out of shape. Worth every step to get to the top and see that view. 200 yards on way down, ran into a mama black bear and her two cubs playing. She saw us and snarled, making it clear we were not welcome. We had to take the bus road down because I wasn’t about to try and move that bear

Very steep, and heavily travelled, but nice views at the top. A good trip if you’re camping in the area.

The views are great but the trail has too much of a touristy feel to it. First off there is a gift shop right in the parking lot, secondly 80% of the trail is steps, lastly when you get to the top you get to a stone made lookout tower not really a mountain top. Its also disappointing that over half of the elevation is gained by driving up to the parking lot, so you dont really get a true feel of accomplishment from hiking to the top. The best part of this hike IMO is Buzzards Roost, a lot less crowded.

I grew up doing this hike with my dad, I love coming back again and again. The hike is difficult in some parts but the views at the top are beautiful! Going on less humid/hot days always makes it easier. Also wear shoes with good traction. I always slip and roll ankles on rocks when I wear regular tennis shoes on this hike.

Hike was a pretty steep climb in a short period of time, and I think that’s the only reason it’s rated as “hard”. Other than the steepness, it was a pretty easy hike. Whole trail took us about 4 hours, although we stayed at the top for about an hour.
On the very top of the stairs there are a lot of bugs, so I would suggest if you’re trying to hangout on the top to go to the second highest stair come off area. I will probably bring insect repellent next time for the way up as well.
Dog friendly! Our 16 week old puppy made it all the way up easily.
About a quarter of the way down, it was dark outside by then, we did encounter a copperhead snake, so make sure you watch your step!
In all, a fun hike with an awesome view.

Challenging hike up Sharp Top. Beautiful view of Bedford County and the Blue Ridge mountains. Much faster coming down the mountain.

Great trail! Challenging but worth it. Love exploring around the top.

Bring bug spray for the rampant flies and gnats at the top...you’ll be thankful you did. Awesome hike! It will definitely have you breathing heavy at times. If you don’t have decent cardio endurance, take your time. If you do, it’s a pretty easy hike, nothing sketchy. The pay off view/atmosphere at the top is the best I’ve seen so far in the hikes I’ve down in Virginia the last 2 weeks. Nothing compares...the Knob is nothing compared to this view. Go check it out

consistently steep and we may have accidentally gone on a cloudy day and couldn’t see the view lol but it was still beautiful

Difficult but a great payoff at the end.

Great hike, worth the constant uphill for an amazing view.