Scheier Natural Area Trails

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray Star(20)
Palmyra, Virginia

Scheier Natural Area Trails is a 3.9 kilometer lightly trafficked loop trail located near Palmyra, Virginia that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 3.9 km Elevation Gain: 56 m Route Type: Loop

Quick and quiet trail run. The footing is good with few roots and mostly flat/gently rolling.

This a well maintained area, with another little hike across the road. The ponds are beautiful, short walks on both sides. There was some logging nearby which may affect things but the trails that cross a little stream are nice. There is a porta potty and a shelter with a fire pit in case you want to do the easy trails and stay for a bit.

Nice & quiet.

No dogs are allowed at this spot. Also it is poorly marked with no views or interesting spots.

Sun Jan 27 2019

Fun quick loop. Easy for kids. Seems very quiet. Would be nice if dogs were allowed,

Sat Sep 01 2018

Love this trail, we are also disappointed that they no longer allow dogs. We rarely meet people on this trail but the few people we have met, like us, had a dog. VERY disappointed to get there this week with our dog and have to turn around and leave! Otherwise this is a nice trail.

Sun Apr 22 2018

I used to come here quite a bit with my pups. They have nicely maintained, simple trail loops. Recently they’ve changed their policy allowing dogs so I won’t be returning anymore. I’m sure it would be a nice place to take children!

Sun Jul 30 2017

Nicely maintained trails with plenty of shade. Like many others, we had this trail to ourselves on a beautiful summer day. Ponds are a little grown up at the current time. Will be returning again in the fall.

Wed Apr 20 2016

Nice easy 3 mile trail that is less than 2 miles from my home. Haven't met anyone on the trail and rarely see cars in the lot when I drive by. This won't challenge anyone but I like it because it's so close to home.

Fri Dec 18 2015

First hike in my new area! It's Scheier Natural Area, a 35 minute drive South from Charlottesville. Pros: The drive is beautiful. It's flat, which is nice for deconditioned people like me. It could also be good for sprints. There are two loop options, 3 miles and 1.5 miles. There are no other people here, so it would be a great place to walk a dog off leash. It runs beside a stream. There is also an offshoot that has a picnic area overlooking three man made ponds. Cons: It's flat, which is kinda boring.

Sat May 31 2014

I have hiked this trail many times. I have never encountered other hikers on the trail. One of the interesting features on this trail is across the road from the parking area - a series of connected terraced ponds that overflow from one to the next. This is a good trail for beginners.

recorded Scheier Natural Area Trails