Scheier Natural Area Trails

Scheier Natural Area Trails is a 2.4 mile loop trail located near Palmyra, Virginia and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Nice easy 3 mile trail that is less than 2 miles from my home. Haven't met anyone on the trail and rarely see cars in the lot when I drive by. This won't challenge anyone but I like it because it's so close to home.

Friday, December 18, 2015

First hike in my new area! It's Scheier Natural Area, a 35 minute drive South from Charlottesville.

Pros:
The drive is beautiful.
It's flat, which is nice for deconditioned people like me. It could also be good for sprints.
There are two loop options, 3 miles and 1.5 miles.
There are no other people here, so it would be a great place to walk a dog off leash.
It runs beside a stream. There is also an offshoot that has a picnic area overlooking three man made ponds.

Cons:
It's flat, which is kinda boring.

Saturday, May 31, 2014

I have hiked this trail many times. I have never encountered other hikers on the trail. One of the interesting features on this trail is across the road from the parking area - a series of connected terraced ponds that overflow from one to the next. This is a good trail for beginners.