Saunders-Monticello Trail

Saunders-Monticello Trail is a 3.9 mile out and back trail located near Charlottesville, Virginia and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round.

Great trail been using it since it opened. Well kept and safe, marked every 1/4 mile

Easy stroll. Pretty and pastoral.

A nice and easy trail for running. What most interested me were some of the side trails. The Jason Stevens trail is super steep but I don’t know how far it goes. I stopped after awhile. But I want to research it more. There also seemed to be some unnamed trails off of Carter’s Overlook. More to explore later.

It is a gentle uphill trail from the parking lot to the visitors center. The crushed limestone is great for jogging strollers. Very well maintained. If you are visiting Montecello, you can also skip the shuttle and continue your hike to the summit.

Great little trail...easy and mostly flat. Perfect trail for a baby stroller

Great trail and stroller friendly!

This was the perfect out-and-back trail run to start my day. I started at the parking lot at Kemper Park, so the trail ran uphill to Monticello but the incline was gradual. The flowering trees were at their peak today—lots of redbuds, dogwoods, and cherries in bloom, with the very first green leaves from the maples, oaks, and ash starting to show. Just gorgeous! The trail was well-maintained and not too crowded. I will definitely go back next time I’m visiting Charlottesville.

I love this trail. I try to do it about once a week. I wouldn’t say it’s challenging at all but it very pretty and peaceful. The boardwalks are well maintained and it almost always has some light foot traffic so it feels very safe

Lovely, kid friendly path that ends at Monticello. No dogs on the board walk, but there are a few trails that branch off.

It is a very easy trail. The down side is you cant fish that awesome pond that is full of fish. lots of rich history and plenty to do.

Monday, June 19, 2017

This is normally a go-to lovely and easy trail, but due to storm damage, it has been blocked off to pedestrians right before the mile mark, if you're coming from the parking lot off 53. I will update when it's been opened again!

ETA: it’s currently open

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Pretty trail parking sucks on a nice day

Monday, February 06, 2017

i

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Pretty. Slight uphill grade. Very easy, but...very busy, constant traffic noise. More of a afternoon walk instead of treadmill

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Nice trail into the woods, not a harsh incline (my husband had back surgery and managed well). The signs at the beginning of the trail are miss leading! States dogs must be on a leash, then 1 mile later as you approach the wooden bridge/path, big signs says no dogs beyond this point! We were naughty and proceeded on as we were encouraged by some locals that said they bring their dogs all the time. Got a few dirty looks later on our walk...that put a damper on our walk.

Monday, September 12, 2016

I started at Kemper Park area entering the woods to the right of the parking area. No true markings and trails criss cross many times, so I just explored. The trails are hard pack with a few areas of rock gardens. A decent amount of uphill, but not steep or too difficult. My tracker stated 6.5 miles of woods. I then came out on the Monticello trail and walked 4 miles ( in and out) of flat crushed stone/ wood bridges to the welcome center. Overall a relatively easy hike with very few people in the woods and much more traffic on the easy trail.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

beautiful path with many paths off the trail. main path is gravel and slightly busy.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

☀️

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Nice trail with lots of side hikes off the main trail. Very busy though.

Monday, June 13, 2016

Some of the offshoots on the trail lead to really pretty spots! We will definitely be back to explore more.

Thursday, April 28, 2016

Beautiful trail with a lot of boardwalks. I hike/run this trail a few times a week. Perfect for a jogging stroller and my 3 1/2 year old loves to ride his strider bike here.

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Nice uphill workout and stroller friendly. Bring your wallet and have lunch at the top in the Monticello Cafe!

Saturday, April 16, 2016

It's a nice gravel/boardwalk trail that's got a slight elevation change. Good for a nice stroll.

Saturday, November 28, 2015

Very cool easy grade boardwalk trail along the side of The mountain above Monticello at Charlottesville. The hike ends at a lovely arboretum with a network of forest and field trails all its own. I suggest starting from that park so that the return trip is downhill! Views are woods except in winter when you can see more of the Blue Ridge through the leafless trees.

Saturday, November 07, 2015

Easy and fun

Saturday, August 08, 2015

Perfect for anyone looking for a leisurely after work stroll.

Sunday, May 24, 2015

Well maintained, easy walk, wide paths.

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Easy, gently uphill trails that are the best maintained in the area. Beautiful trees, meadows, and winter distant views. One can hike up to Monticello or Carter Mountain apple orchard on these trails. The main drawback to these trails is that they tend to be crowded.

Friday, April 12, 2013

Great hike, and really close to town! The boardwalk is quite easy, the backwoods not much harder, but some OK climbing to get your heart going...