Saunders-Monticello Trail

Saunders-Monticello Trail is a 4 mile out and back trail located near Charlottesville, Virginia and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round.

This is normally a go-to lovely and easy trail, but due to storm damage, it has been blocked off to pedestrians right before the mile mark, if you're coming from the parking lot off 53. I will update when it's been opened again!

Pretty trail parking sucks on a nice day

i

Pretty. Slight uphill grade. Very easy, but...very busy, constant traffic noise. More of a afternoon walk instead of treadmill

Nice trail into the woods, not a harsh incline (my husband had back surgery and managed well). The signs at the beginning of the trail are miss leading! States dogs must be on a leash, then 1 mile later as you approach the wooden bridge/path, big signs says no dogs beyond this point! We were naughty and proceeded on as we were encouraged by some locals that said they bring their dogs all the time. Got a few dirty looks later on our walk...that put a damper on our walk.

I started at Kemper Park area entering the woods to the right of the parking area. No true markings and trails criss cross many times, so I just explored. The trails are hard pack with a few areas of rock gardens. A decent amount of uphill, but not steep or too difficult. My tracker stated 6.5 miles of woods. I then came out on the Monticello trail and walked 4 miles ( in and out) of flat crushed stone/ wood bridges to the welcome center. Overall a relatively easy hike with very few people in the woods and much more traffic on the easy trail.

beautiful path with many paths off the trail. main path is gravel and slightly busy.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016