Saint Mary's Wilderness

Saint Mary's Wilderness is a 6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Vesuvius, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great trail, your going to get wet unless you have ninja rock creek crossing skills..lol. We packed found a great spot near the river. The trail has changed due to erosion so we had to back track a few times (maybe some better trail markers). I made a few cast with a fly rod 25-35 at different spots. I caught 1 native brook and expected to catch none..lol. I haven't had a fly rod in my hand since I was 17.. but I picked back up fairly quickly and didn't lose my fly.... I didn't say I didn't get snagged a few times.. Great hike moderate walk a few narrow spots and loose rock under the leaf litter. Watch your step the rocks are sliiippperryy crossing the creek at least 3-4 times.. I will go back and hit the trout a little harder..

Great hike, although I think I ended up on st marys gorge unless I’ve become the fastest hiker ever. Was to the falls in about an hour and a half. When I hiked out the next day, I looked st the map and there’s a spot where you can go left or right and I chose Left. Beautiful scenery either way. I’ll definitely be going back in the spring. I went in November, and was the only person I saw for 2 days!

love it so much fun good hike. places to camp. There are multiple fun water holes.

Very nice trail. Has camping spots. Needs a little more parking. A few different ways to get to the falls. Nice stop offs to play in the water. Falls were not as big as pics I have seen but still worth the hike.

This is a fantastic hike. I really wanted to give it five stars, and it totally deserves it for scenery, but I gave it four because it could stand to be blazed. Someone has recently placed survey flags at the stream crossings, but it's still confusing to know where to cross the stream.

In terms of difficulty, I think this hike breaks down into several areas. First, for distance its definitely easy/moderate. The listing says 6 miles, but from parking lot to waterfall it's just shy of 5. Second, in terms of elevation gain, this is an easy hike. You gain about 600 ft, but it's very gradual. I honestly never experienced any of it as an incline. Third, and finally, the trail it's self is a bit on the moderate/difficult side. As said before, it's not clearly marked at times. It also has some areas where it's very narrow, rocky, and/or swampy. There are also a couple of very steep embankments to navigate when crossing the stream. This is not a trail for someone who doesn't feel sure footed.

I got to the trail head at just before 7am and the parking lot already had 5-6 cars in it. These were all overnight hikers. In general the overnight hikers were fine, however I think it's disappointing that there is a campsite at the base of the waterfall, this monopolizing the space where hikers might want to spend some time before the return hike.

In general, I would say this is one of the top 5 hikes in the area. It's not to be missed!

Ok, so first off... you have to cross the stream multiple times to get to the fall. We learned this after a very hard hike. If you cross the stream, the hike is actually a moderate. If not, it can get difficult.

Now that that is out of the way. I loved this hike, even though we did It the difficult way. There wasn't a ton of elevation change. You follow the stream for the most part which makes for great scenery. There were tons of butterflies and a few other hikers were looking for snakes.

It was a enjoyable hike. Trail could be marked better.

Great hike, fun swimming holes and opportunities to jump off rocks into the stream. Crossing the stream can be a little tricky trying to stay dry.

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Monday, September 05, 2016

Love the trail, would rate it hard not moderate. The trail cuts back and forth around the creek and had lots of outlets. They all look like the main trail and I would say it's rather a pain to figure out. The swimming at the end was a blast and we all enjoyed jumping off cliffs.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Great trip with Troop 113 from Gloucester Va. 2nd time we have done it and alot of fun at the falls. Some forging the steam to get to the falls but well worth it. lots of fun jumping off the rock cliffs into the the pool at the base of the falls about and hour to the falls from the parking lot