Saint Marys Falls Trail

Saint Marys Falls Trail is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Raphine, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.3 miles Elevation Gain: 393 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Might need to wade trail is pretty difficult to follow but an amazing view and scenery

October 19, 2019 hiked down the Mine Bank Creek trail, at the intersection of the St Mary's trail went north (Right) for two hours. I was with the TATC club cleaning a section of the St Mary's trail. There are no blazes, very little water the day we were on the trail. the hike back up was strenuous.

pretty great hike. I've been working on getting fit again and challenging myself as I lose weight. the lack of elevation gain is made up in tricky scrambles and Creek crossings.

The falls, when finally reached, are absolutely stunning. They are moderate in size, although still impressive, with a 10+ ft deep watering hole at the bottom. In the Fall, the changing leaves make for a beautiful hike. The rocky trail is not marked well and you have to cross the river numberous times to follow the path. Still worth the hike. Perhaps not for younger children.

I absolutely loved this hike. Another water hike that is beautiful and semi challenging. Not one I’d recommend for kids. Few high narrow paths that could pose a danger to unskilled hikers. The reward of the waterfall at the end makes this hike worth the trip.

Loved this trail, but it was a bit hard to understand which way the trail went. You cross like 4 streams so prepare to get your feet wet. I really enjoyed the ruggedness of the trail as well. I wouldn’t recommend take dogs on this trail. There are some extremely jagged rocks and I would be afraid that their little paws would get cut. The trail also gets extremely narrow at some points with a cliff to one side. I would just be too nervous in general to take dogs on this.

Cool river-side hike with lots of opportunity to get wet and even completely swim in some deep water holes. It would be five stars if it weren't for the crowds--it's a very popular swimming spot in the summer.

WARNING. This is a very tough trail for dogs. Lots of jagged rocks and narrow cliffs with unlevel grounds at the edge and lots of rocked areas. . We ended up turning back after a mile and half with our 5 year old German Shepherd and Lab. Didnt want to risk them falling or hurting themselves.

Great hike. Needs better trail markings though because of all the side trails. Loved the waterfall.

Very fun hike, just make sure you have supportive shoes or boots for the rocks. I recommend wearing something to swim in

Bring bug spray! The bugs eat you alive on this trail. Beautiful views! You cross running water 5 times, so make sure you wear good shoes fit for water.

Five stream crossings, some are slippery with rains. I wore shoes which could get wet. Watch for log blocking trail. Take left trail to cross Creek. Trail on right side of Creek is washed out (passable for good climbers). Good swimming hole at falls.

We really enjoyed this hike on a hot summer day (July 21). The falls and swimming hole were awesome and we enjoyed the shade of the trail. It can be difficult to follow the trail at times and be sure which side of the stream to be on, but there were other hikers that helped point the way. We crossed the stream multiple times so recommend waterproof hiking boots for the water and rocks. Similar to other reviews, we saw 3 snakes near the trail (all black) and one water snake.

Beautiful & shaded. Lots of swimming holes. Moderately busy, go early. Note you have to cross the river at several spots.

There's no marking of the trail, and many different ways to go. Several sections have been washed out, or rock slides have taken the trail away. Did the hike with a 4yo and 6yo. We didn't make it to the falls because about 1.4miles in the trail became too challenging/dangerous for the kids. About 90% of the folks we saw with dogs didn't seem to care about leashes.