Saint Marys Falls Trail is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lofton, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Beautiful hike but we couldn’t make it to the falls as the trail was washed away and required cliff scaling. With 3 young kids and a dog it was impossible. Hope it gets fixed!

very nice trail, my fiancee and I never got wet, always managed to find rocks to cross the stream. I remember the trail was not always clearly indicated but we managed to get to the falls, very nice view, would do it again!

This trail is active’ terrain with multiple water crossings (best with waterproof hiking sandals that have great traction), rock scrambling, with steep inclines/descends and parts of the trail are washed out that forces you to scale side of cliffs to get thru. Only one section offers a rope to guide you across, the remaining requires careful scrambling. Worth the challenges... beautiful swim hole(s) and waterfall. (Did spot copperhead on trail).

Hiked St. Marys several times this year and absolutely love it. The different terrain keeps you active and engaged in your surroundings, shade allows one to hike in middle of summer. Appears to be family friendly and always people on trail.

Do not attempt with anyone under age of 7. It's too challenging and dangerous for a little one. My 7 and 9 year olds barely made it, and fell several times (scraps and bruises). There are steep drops offs and one section of the trail about halfway through is washed out. We saw a loose dog almost fall off the cliff, but it clung on by some roots sticking out. You can cross the washed out section but it's better to cross the river and take the alternate path. Avoiding the washed out trail gives you two extra stream crossings, so 5 in total. The 13 old did great. The nature is sooooo pretty.

You *will* wade through water, you *will* climb up and down steep surfaces, and you *will* walk over all rocks at some point. Hard to advise on footwear cause I’d want a high hiking boot for ankle security but chacos/keens/watershoes for wading.

Trail is not well marked but look for trees w/ orange paint, that helped us. Those who complain about overgrown vegetation on trails have high expectations for weekly hedge trimming at a U.S. forest... Do be mindful of trails that aren’t a the primary trail! Even if you have to wade, better to stick to the better path. One path does have a rope to aid you since the trail has washed out but there is another trail option. Small kids (ages 6-8) made it all the way to the waterfall, so it’s doable if you choose the right path!

Definitely do not advise this trail when it’s cold out - the water is very cold!

We were large group of people with young and teenage kids. I wouldn’t rate this moderate. If you are not a regular hiker and don’t have the right gears it may be challenging. Of 14 people started only 6 people ended up finishing the hike. While there were minimum elevation gain but due to lack of proper marking and unclear trail paths it made it challenging.
Me and my friends that completed till the end loved this hike. I agree that the trail needs a lot maintenance

Great trail with beautiful views. We couldn’t go the full length due to us starting to get nervous about the wildfire getting closer. My blue heeler did great!

This trail is not recommended for small children or elderly. you have to cross several deep creek crossings to get to the falls. I'm giving 4 starts because the trail needs a lot of maintenance. There are parts of the trail that is washed out and almost gone or gone completely. It was a nice challenging hike. We probably would have not taken the dog if we knew how hairy some of the trail was but we did make it. Our dog has traveled trails all his life.

Amazing hike to a beautiful waterfall! We went on a weekend in February and the 5 river crossings were tolerable in boots, long socks, leggings and hiking pants over it all. Very few trail markings but we did see orange ones on a few of the trees.

The river crossings can be a little tricky depending on the time of year & it can be hard to see the trail at times. But it’s worth it for the falls and amazing swimming holes along this hike!

Sunday, October 22, 2017

I like to call this my "boot testing" trail. Just long enough with enough variation in terrain and water crossings to give a new pair of boots a good test without the risk of being four miles up a mountain with enormous blisters, questioning your life choices.Great trail for families, easy enough for kids to go up without getting discouraged, varried enough to keep them interested. That being said, there are several water crossings, and depending on the time of year they can be a little tricky, late summer/fall usually isn't too bad. The trail is fairly clear, as it is a moderately heavy use trail. However, when you get down by the crossings there are often several choices to get across. Look at all of the options, then cross at the safest, as it will vary with the water level.

Sunday, September 03, 2017

Watch out for The copperheads :)

Monday, August 21, 2017

This would have been a great trial if it had been marked. We got off the track several times and it was very scary because it was unsafe and hard to find the REAL path again.

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Nothing less of amazing

Monday, August 07, 2017

Great hike. My friends and I lost the trail going up to the falls and just walked upwards through the stream but found the trail on the way back. Wear sturdy shoes that can get wet. You'll probably be jumping from stone to stone in the stream.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

I did it years ago and it was great. Does anyone know of a place to camp near this trail?

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

The further you get, the harder the trail is to follow. Just keep crossing the river and going until you get to the falls! So worth it! I don't know why "swimming" isn't an option for an activity on here, but there's at least 2 great spots to swim.

Monday, July 17, 2017

This was fun! A little sticky in some spots if you're traveling with a dog, but with two people you can hoist said dog through the tight squeezes. The waterfall at the end is totally worth it. Only saw about two spots to set camp up at. Nothing too private unless you really got off the trail. A good amount of traffic in the summer on the weekend, but nothing that impeded on our ability to experience the waterfall in private for about 10 minutes. Make sure you bring your bathing suit so you can jump off the waterfall! If you're looking directly at the falls the area for jumping is to the right. Enjoy!

Sunday, June 25, 2017

A little gem of a waterfall. The hike was not hard just a bit challenging from a technical prospect. make sure to bring some dry socks as the 3 water crossings made it hard to keep dry socks. I'd also make sure I had a bathing suit on next time.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Watch out for the pink trail flags to find your way,they are not everywhere but in the main spots like where you have to cross the creek a few times! Also please pick up after yourself,I've seen more trash then usual due to it's increasing popularity so if you enjoy it why destroy it!

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

My favorite trail in Virginia. Not heavily traveled which is nice. It does require several river crossings and some scaling. It is a fun challenging trail with great views of the river.
We went after a heavy rainstorm the night before which made it impossible to make it to the falls this trip.

Friday, April 14, 2017

A number of water crossings are required and some tight climbing sections. Was a nice scenic hike but we didn't make the falls with 4 kids under 10. Still a fun 3.5 hr hike.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Great Hike. Some parts are washed out and you have to walk through creek but the falls are beautiful. Takes about 3 hours in and back.