Rose River Trail

Rose River Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Syria, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Go clockwise. Great trail.

Hiked clockwise from Fisher’s Gap Overlook parking. Dense forest but not too much understory to impede forest views. Initially the surface was good gravel with few obstructions and a comfortable downhill. At 1.1 miles the trail becomes rockier, more narrow and a little steeper downhill. And some not-too-challenging roots. With denser understory. And the sounds of the creek. About 50 yards further down the trail joins the noisy creek in a very picturesque ravine. Dappled sunlight filtering down on the understory. At 1.4 miles the creek becomes a “river”. Soon, at the upper falls Overlook we scramble down large boulders about 20 or 30 feet to get a good base view. Good placement of rock steps around falls. At 1.9 miles we re-join the creek after separating for a bit. Then quickly the creek we head south southeast and the trail turns west southwest. Starting a gradual easy rise. As we proceed slowly uphill Hogcamp creek appears on our left below us and heading counter to our hike. We come up on the weathered concrete compressor foundation from the old abandoned copper mine. Creek Crossing on large stones. Then we come to a foot bridge about 50 feet long, arched. With hog camp branch Creek on our right we enjoy numerous lovely small cascades as we hike up. After the bridge the trail becomes rockier, a bit of a scramble. But the lovely small and noisy heavy running cascades continue, seemingly without end. On and on, the cascades continue getting progressively smaller but no less noisy. We arrive at the fire road bridge across the creek. At this point we chose to add Dark Hollow Falls, a 1/2 mile total, steep, but well-groomed climb. This is where the large crowds are, having hiked the short trail down from Dark Hollow Falls parking. Hiking up the last run to the falls we encounter more crowds. Dark Hollow Falls were active, an unusually wet summer. start Back down to the fire road bridge and an easy uphill hike out on the fully gravel, nicely graded fire road completes a memorable hike. For us, better than the Two sets of falls were the numerous, lovely and heavily flowing and noisy, smaller cascades of Hog Camp Creek.

After many weeks of good solid rain storms the river and falls were spectacular. Hiked down on to the falls and looked back to the fire road. Strenuous up and down but next to the river, so lots of opportunities to stop and let our dog cook off in the pools under each waterfall. Moderate traffic, fire road is easy level terrain. In 2 days we saw3 bears, and heard we missed 11 others within minutes. All were Momas with cubs, so stay alert.

I love this hike. Its a bit of a walk, but you hike right next to rose river and the scenery is just beautiful. Recommend sometime in spring or fall.

Amazing trail, almost everywhere you look a postcard photo along the rivers and waterfalls

Fantastic hike! got the recommendation from the fine folks at DeMello Vineyards (a must visit when you are there). Spectacular views of the waterfalls and wildlife. Saw a bear, a doe and her fawn, and lush scenery!

Really enjoyed this trail. Sorry couldn’t get my app to work. 2.9 miles to bottom on horse (yellow) and blue blazes. Came back 1.1 miles on Fire road. Water features were beautiful. Would have liked to go in. Some areas not well marked.

Lots of water on the trail and rushing thru the river/creek. It was a good afternoon hike that challenged us pretty good.

I hiked this trail today with one of my pups. I chose to go down the Rose trail, venture to dark hollow falls and then return via the fire road. My god said the route was about 4.25 miles.

Overall this was a very nice hike. There are a few sections that are a bit rocky or steep, but the vast majority of the hike is quite scenic and easy going.

Decided to do a last minute backcountry camp by the falls. Enjoyed the hike down and up very much, little hard on the knees going down and gets you winded going up especially when you backpacking with an old alice pack with 40lbs of camp gear. Nonetheless it was a great time.

One of our favorites in our three years of coming to Shenandoah. Start left and follow the river. Take a dip in a nice rapid-laden pool and enjoy the scenery and (cold!) water. This is a slightly strenuous but very do-able hike. We took our dog along with our 7 and 10 year old daughters who, though they complained a bit near the end, were troopers and pulled it off on a hot day. Sneaking over to Dark Hollows is a must and saves you the trouble of doing that hike separately. We got to see a bear and a few deer on the way. I can't recommend this trail enough for a great family day hike!

Gorgeous trail the follows the river.

So this is a great hike—my new favorite in SNP. Make sure you go left at the start and not down the fire road. Two things to know. First, out and back is 4.5 miles. The trail is 2.9, but there’s .5 before you reach it to the left and 1.1 on the fire road on the way out (or vise versa is you start the other way). Second, the uphill on the last 2 of the trail is a fairly strenuous uphill. My 9-year-old has no problem with it and neither did I will a 30 lb pack. Can’t say the same for others on the hike. If you’re out of shape, this will help with that, but you will likely hurt a bit tomorrow.

I love this trail of waterfalls especially after all the rain we had this spring. I brought my tripod and did an awesome photo/video shoot early enough in the morning when I was the only one there. Buungeng by the waterfall is a beautiful experience. I took my time at some of the most impressive spots and captured my moving meditations and the falls on video. The trail became much busier as the day went on. I also did the Dark Hollow Trail which was quite steep but gorgeous. On my way back down, I took the fireroad and after coming around a bend, came eye to eye with a mama bear and her two cubs. Hiking alone.... oiiii! It has it's pros and cons and this was not my idea of a good time. The cubs went off into the woods but big mama watched me intently as I backed away.... even took a few steps towards me. I was petrified as she did not take her eyes off of me! I went back around the bend from which I had come and waited. Two fly fishermen approached and I told them my dilemma. They had a whistle which they used to scare the cubs up into the trees so that mama wasn't going anywhere. So much for whistles! Two more hikers came along and then we all decided to just go for it in hopes that mama bear would stay by her cubs which were only about 50-100 yards from the trail. OMG, now I've got myself a whistle but am wondering if I need bear spray too....

Amazing hike today on Rose River, my dog and I loved it!
The waterfalls are lovely!

Saw two bear cubs today! This trail is an awesome hike with the river and all its cascades, watering holes and small falls beside most of the trail. Going left at the start is definitely the way to go. I did it on a Tuesday and saw quite a few peeps along the way but not too many. I'm sure this would be well traveled on the weekends. I wanted to extend the hike to include the Dark Hollow Falls Trail but the group I was with weren't into it. I will definitely be back to this one many times! It's an hour and a half drive from home, but worth it!

Excellent trail with great places to dip your feet in the stream. Very moderate hike with beautiful scenery throughout. Highly recommended!!

What a way to spend my 60th Birthday. Beautiful scenery and a challenge scrambling up the rocks on our way back up to the parking lot. Trail is not for a novice!

Fantastic hike! Two-thirds of this loop follows cascading creeks/falls, easily walkable trail. Took our miniature dachshund and he loved it. Easily one of our favorites in Shenandoah NP!

Great waterfall views and it was nice to do the majority of this hike next to water. It was National Park Week when we did this, so I think the trail was a little more crowded than usual because we crossed paths with about 40 people.

Loved this trail! We went on the first "nice" weekend this year so the trail was pretty busy. I would rate it as an intermediate trail. It was nice that the trail follows the river for most of the duration. We were able to sit and enjoy the water and get close to the falls. They are not huge, but pretty nonetheless! The loop dips, leaving you to hike uphill for at least a mile on your way out. We left feeling tired and accomplished!

Love Love Love this trail. Here to celebrate my 60th birthday with my best friend. We took our dogs and they enjoyed being near the water, as much of the trail follows the river. Cascading waterfalls, early wildflowers, great mid 50s temps. There were parts that were a little dicey climbing over wet rocks and boulders. A beautiful experience!

I was surprised to be along water a lot of this loop, which was nice. A few really nice small waterfalls.... appeared to be some nice swimming spots for the summer. It does have some elevation challenges. We did the loop backwards which seemed the best way to go.

Went with 3 kids- 4, 10, and 12 yr old. They have not been hiking before, so I was expecting it would be difficult for them... They did great for the first half and managed better than I thought for the second half. We enjoyed the several water falls and they want to come back to swim when the weather is warmer!

Ran across this trail by accident (Was looking for Rocky Mountain). What a wonderful surprise. This trail follows the river both out and a little bit back. It was awesome on a Spring day, but i think would be even better in the summer if the water doesn't dry up too much because the river was filled with deep pools of water that the hikers could stop to swim in. Wouldn't recommend this trail for elderly people because there are some very rocky areas and steep steps, but if you are capable of rock-hopping, this trail is for you.

really nice! harder than I thought it would be, but the spectacular views made it totally worth it.

Lots of ice on the trail but gorgeous.

It is worth doing nice trail

I started to the left but when I got to the bottom of the trail I turned around and went back up the way I came down. It shortened the hike to 3.2 miles but I got to see the river from a different angle and it was a good workout. I figure I'll never be back since there are so many other trails I want to explore in VA. Finished in 1:45 with quick stops for pics and to let my dog wade.
Didn't see anyone else on the trail.

Followed the advice of going to the left and coming up the fire road at the end. Beautiful trail with the fall colors, not too crowded except at the main waterfall. Was pleased to watch fellow fisherman trying their luck in the small pools of water along the trails in search of native trout.