Rose River Trail

Rose River Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Syria, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

So this is a great hike—my new favorite in SNP. Make sure you go left at the start and not down the fire road. Two things to know. First, out and back is 4.5 miles. The trail is 2.9, but there’s .5 before you reach it to the left and 1.1 on the fire road on the way out (or vise versa is you start the other way). Second, the uphill on the last 2 of the trail is a fairly strenuous uphill. My 9-year-old has no problem with it and neither did I will a 30 lb pack. Can’t say the same for others on the hike. If you’re out of shape, this will help with that, but you will likely hurt a bit tomorrow.

Amazing hike today on Rose River, my dog and I loved it!
The waterfalls are lovely!

Saw two bear cubs today! This trail is an awesome hike with the river and all its cascades, watering holes and small falls beside most of the trail. Going left at the start is definitely the way to go. I did it on a Tuesday and saw quite a few peeps along the way but not too many. I'm sure this would be well traveled on the weekends. I wanted to extend the hike to include the Dark Hollow Falls Trail but the group I was with weren't into it. I will definitely be back to this one many times! It's an hour and a half drive from home, but worth it!

Excellent trail with great places to dip your feet in the stream. Very moderate hike with beautiful scenery throughout. Highly recommended!!

What a way to spend my 60th Birthday. Beautiful scenery and a challenge scrambling up the rocks on our way back up to the parking lot. Trail is not for a novice!

Fantastic hike! Two-thirds of this loop follows cascading creeks/falls, easily walkable trail. Took our miniature dachshund and he loved it. Easily one of our favorites in Shenandoah NP!

Great waterfall views and it was nice to do the majority of this hike next to water. It was National Park Week when we did this, so I think the trail was a little more crowded than usual because we crossed paths with about 40 people.

Loved this trail! We went on the first "nice" weekend this year so the trail was pretty busy. I would rate it as an intermediate trail. It was nice that the trail follows the river for most of the duration. We were able to sit and enjoy the water and get close to the falls. They are not huge, but pretty nonetheless! The loop dips, leaving you to hike uphill for at least a mile on your way out. We left feeling tired and accomplished!

Love Love Love this trail. Here to celebrate my 60th birthday with my best friend. We took our dogs and they enjoyed being near the water, as much of the trail follows the river. Cascading waterfalls, early wildflowers, great mid 50s temps. There were parts that were a little dicey climbing over wet rocks and boulders. A beautiful experience!

I was surprised to be along water a lot of this loop, which was nice. A few really nice small waterfalls.... appeared to be some nice swimming spots for the summer. It does have some elevation challenges. We did the loop backwards which seemed the best way to go.

Went with 3 kids- 4, 10, and 12 yr old. They have not been hiking before, so I was expecting it would be difficult for them... They did great for the first half and managed better than I thought for the second half. We enjoyed the several water falls and they want to come back to swim when the weather is warmer!

Ran across this trail by accident (Was looking for Rocky Mountain). What a wonderful surprise. This trail follows the river both out and a little bit back. It was awesome on a Spring day, but i think would be even better in the summer if the water doesn't dry up too much because the river was filled with deep pools of water that the hikers could stop to swim in. Wouldn't recommend this trail for elderly people because there are some very rocky areas and steep steps, but if you are capable of rock-hopping, this trail is for you.

really nice! harder than I thought it would be, but the spectacular views made it totally worth it.

Lots of ice on the trail but gorgeous.

It is worth doing nice trail

I started to the left but when I got to the bottom of the trail I turned around and went back up the way I came down. It shortened the hike to 3.2 miles but I got to see the river from a different angle and it was a good workout. I figure I'll never be back since there are so many other trails I want to explore in VA. Finished in 1:45 with quick stops for pics and to let my dog wade.
Didn't see anyone else on the trail.

Followed the advice of going to the left and coming up the fire road at the end. Beautiful trail with the fall colors, not too crowded except at the main waterfall. Was pleased to watch fellow fisherman trying their luck in the small pools of water along the trails in search of native trout.

Lots of great waterfalls (November with a fair bit of rain recently). What a lovely hike. Clockwise is preferred!

Hiked the trail clockwise as suggested and we enjoyed it. Did start to run into ice though on the second half as we made our way back up the path. The trail has you follow the water which was nice.

This was a beautiful truly moderate trail. The scenery is great all along the route. My boyfriend and I are novice hikers and wished we had something better than plain old sneakers. However it didn't really hurt us, we just had to be extra careful around slippery rocks and steeper inclines. When you get to the trail, definitely go left. We went up inclines rather than down and for me that was better. I saw lots of families on this trail and it's definitely family and dog friendly. A good fun hike for all.

Hiked this treasure multiple times, and if the falls are active the scenic reward changes dramatically. However, the hike is a must try for someone seeking two and a half to four hour loop.

I went counterclockwise (to the right) to begin and would suggest the other direction. There is a fire road for about a mile of it at the end if you go clockwise that is the easy part so better to end that way.

Beautiful hike through the trees. Trail is steep in some parts. Recommend taking the trail to the left on the way down and hike up the fire road on the way back.

Can easily be paired with the dark hollow falls trail to make for a 7 mile loop back to the Big Meadows Campground.

Recommend starting loop downhill (left after gate), and ending coming uphill on the Rose River Horse Trail. There are some easy paths but many rocky climbs...definitely helpful to have at least one hiking pole or walking stick and trail shoes, not just sneaks. Plenty of water holes for water happy dogs but they have to be able to scramble, and be sure-footed. An easy version is to just walk the horse trail down to Dark Hollow Falls and back.

Really nice hike for a lazy Sunday. There are so many places to stop and hang out with beautiful views. Saw a few bears along the trail as well.

Great view of multiple waterfalls. Saw two black bears on the trail. A decent amount of people on the trail but not crowded. Was able to complete with my kids who are 5 and 8. They started getting tired coming back up the fire road but were able to hack it up the rocks.

Lots of cool things to see, including multiple waterfalls. The hike was pretty tough though. It's workout, but there's plenty of places to take a break and/or swim.

This trail is a little gem! A great portion of the trail runs next to the Rose River, and there are plenty of great opportunities for photos, resting, and just taking in the peaceful environment. There are some up and downs, but it's not anything too strenuous. We saw a lot of wildlife, including a black bear relaxing by the river. You should definitely do it if you're in the vicinity. For reference, my partner and I are in shape but we are not athletes, and we found most of the trail moderate.