Rose River Trail

Rose River Trail is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Syria, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

It is worth doing nice trail

I started to the left but when I got to the bottom of the trail I turned around and went back up the way I came down. It shortened the hike to 3.2 miles but I got to see the river from a different angle and it was a good workout. I figure I'll never be back since there are so many other trails I want to explore in VA. Finished in 1:45 with quick stops for pics and to let my dog wade.
Didn't see anyone else on the trail.

Followed the advice of going to the left and coming up the fire road at the end. Beautiful trail with the fall colors, not too crowded except at the main waterfall. Was pleased to watch fellow fisherman trying their luck in the small pools of water along the trails in search of native trout.

Lots of great waterfalls (November with a fair bit of rain recently). What a lovely hike. Clockwise is preferred!

Hiked the trail clockwise as suggested and we enjoyed it. Did start to run into ice though on the second half as we made our way back up the path. The trail has you follow the water which was nice.

This was a beautiful truly moderate trail. The scenery is great all along the route. My boyfriend and I are novice hikers and wished we had something better than plain old sneakers. However it didn't really hurt us, we just had to be extra careful around slippery rocks and steeper inclines. When you get to the trail, definitely go left. We went up inclines rather than down and for me that was better. I saw lots of families on this trail and it's definitely family and dog friendly. A good fun hike for all.

Hiked this treasure multiple times, and if the falls are active the scenic reward changes dramatically. However, the hike is a must try for someone seeking two and a half to four hour loop.

I went counterclockwise (to the right) to begin and would suggest the other direction. There is a fire road for about a mile of it at the end if you go clockwise that is the easy part so better to end that way.

Beautiful hike through the trees. Trail is steep in some parts. Recommend taking the trail to the left on the way down and hike up the fire road on the way back.

Can easily be paired with the dark hollow falls trail to make for a 7 mile loop back to the Big Meadows Campground.

Recommend starting loop downhill (left after gate), and ending coming uphill on the Rose River Horse Trail. There are some easy paths but many rocky climbs...definitely helpful to have at least one hiking pole or walking stick and trail shoes, not just sneaks. Plenty of water holes for water happy dogs but they have to be able to scramble, and be sure-footed. An easy version is to just walk the horse trail down to Dark Hollow Falls and back.

Really nice hike for a lazy Sunday. There are so many places to stop and hang out with beautiful views. Saw a few bears along the trail as well.

Great view of multiple waterfalls. Saw two black bears on the trail. A decent amount of people on the trail but not crowded. Was able to complete with my kids who are 5 and 8. They started getting tired coming back up the fire road but were able to hack it up the rocks.

Lots of cool things to see, including multiple waterfalls. The hike was pretty tough though. It's workout, but there's plenty of places to take a break and/or swim.

This trail is a little gem! A great portion of the trail runs next to the Rose River, and there are plenty of great opportunities for photos, resting, and just taking in the peaceful environment. There are some up and downs, but it's not anything too strenuous. We saw a lot of wildlife, including a black bear relaxing by the river. You should definitely do it if you're in the vicinity. For reference, my partner and I are in shape but we are not athletes, and we found most of the trail moderate.

If you start on the horse trail to end taking the fire road back up, there is an awesome camp spot about halfway through the loop. Take a left immediately after the foot bridge over the water and follow the little lesser beaten trail up the hill to a little clearing with two big logs on each side. Solid place to stay if you can find it.

Hiked a couple years ago but wanted to leave a review and pic. Trail is great for beginners to experts lots of good views and sounds of running water all through the trail.

Gorgeous hike right along beautiful water fall.

Good day for bear sightings. Mother and 2 cubs as soon as we entered at Thornton Gap and separately on the trail were one adult and one cub. Very pretty scenery especially the cascades.