Rocky Mount and Gap Run Trails

Rocky Mount and Gap Run Trails is a 9.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Elkton, Virginia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,585 feet Route Type: Loop

Rocky Mount/Gap Run trail is NOT maintained except for the trailhead. The foliage has overtaken large portions of the trail and there are MANY MANY trees over the loop portion of the trail. Wear long pants and take plenty of water. There is a stream to top off your water on the Gap Run trail. I would say Rocky Mount/Gap Run is a high reward (fantastic views!) and high pain trail. I was spent by the end of this trail and thankful to reach the trailhead. The five stars are for the views! Rocky Mount/Gap Run should be a well-traveled trail just for the mountain views which I think are some of the best in the park! On Gap Run, I spotted three bear cubs who immediately shot up a tree, so I backed down the trail and thankfully they came down and ran to mama (didn't see her) allowing me to pass on the trail. By this time on the trail, I had done enough bushwhacking and climbing over trees to last a lifetime. NOTE: This is a fall, winter, or early spring trail. NOTE: For me, this was a HARD hike. Start early because this is not a trail you want to be coming out of after the sun goes down.

to say this trail is overgrown is an understatement. unfortunately I did not listen to previous reviews and wore shorts and a tank top. needless to say my legs are ridiculously cut up from all of the overgrown brush and prickers. I brought my dog with me and have pulled at least 30 off and I don't think I'm done yet.

Hiked end April. Would not recommend. Parked at twomile run, descended and did loop clockwise. ~10.5mi. Took me 20% longer than I thought it would. Why the negativity? * It wasn't pretty. Maybe because of the 2016 fire, most trees had little/no foliage. Looked gloomy and gave little to no shade. I drank 3 liters, and came out with a salt encrusted shirt. * The view from Rocky mount was poor. esp compared to say Old Rag. * The path is carpeted with old leaves. You make so much noise stepping on it the only mammal I saw was myself. * Descending to the loop the path is cleared, but the loop itself is full of debris you have to climb over or bushwhack around. More an obstacle course than a hike. Stumps every 20 yards in places. Definitely long pants/long sleeves if you do it before NPS comes down with a chainsaw again. * The 800ft descent to the loop (and more so the ascent back in the end) is silly. Better start from Berrytown or a country road on the west side of the loop. * Last but not least, this 10 miles hurdles gave me a going-away gift: 3 ticks and counting.. Bottom line: really good exercise (to pass all this debris) but not a fun or scenic hike at all.

This was a pretty hard trail loop to be honest. We went during the summer, which was a big mistake. It’s amazing for a hard days hike, but be warned: it’s not well hiked, which means the cover is VERY thick and VERY prickly. We had bloodied arms and legs...and pair of leggings torn. Absolutely worth the views at the top and along the way. The ascent to the peak is a nice climb, great for a workout. Would love to go back and do this loop in the fall/winter when the brush isn’t so thick.

This trail was overgrown and full of pricker bushes. We made it about a half mile in and had to turn back because we were cut up so badly. If you are going to do this trail make sure to wear pants and long sleeves.

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Really overgrown in parts, but little foot traffic and great vista. If you aren't set on doing a loop, I think the 6 miles out-back might be more worth your time.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

It is a very fun trail! There is a good amount of up hill but if you've done old rag you can definitely do this! The summit is pretty cool, but there is a lot of overgrown shrubbery. Just look out for the blue marks and stay on track. You can do it!

Sunday, December 25, 2016