Rockwood Park Trails

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(264)
Rockwood Park

Rockwood Park Trails is a 1.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Richmond, Virginia that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.6 miles Elevation Gain: 108 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

This ride was a combination of on and off trail riding.

It was nice. Ended up hopping off my bike at a few parts due to branches. Pretty view of the pond. Decent amount of foot traffic.

recorded Rockwood Park Trails

Was here between 4-5pm on a Saturday. Gorgeous view of a nearby pond. This was much more chill than I thought it would be. More pedestrians and kids. This area is a little too south of Richmond for my comfort...

Paved paths are double wide which is nice for family walks and allow for easy passing with runners, walkers, and bikers. They are hilly but smooth and stroller friendly. We also walked the orange trail which half is relatively smooth, crosses a few small creeks, and allows for wildlife observations the other half is not stroller friendly and had a considerable amount of tree roots to overcome. Also very hilly. Would recommend parking at the nature center where there are about 20 spaces available. There is also a nice playground for children (when it reopens after COVID).

I love these trails. Great network of short loops perfect for dog walking, nature hikes and light trail running.

This is great place for just about everything. We took the dogs and did about 2 miles with all of the different trails.

Loved this set of trails and walking paths! I did the “Orange Loop” and it is mostly flat with a nice view of the pond halfway through. It is a short walk but nice with a pupper and on this Sunday morning there were very few people out. There is a paved path that is about the same distance that would likely be great for running. The orange loop is shaded and it was mostly covered with damp leaves and a few muddy spots, it did rain the day before. I would highly recommend if you’re looking for an easy nature walk or run or if you have kids.

Nice easy walk along the pond; well marked

I did with my son in law and 4 yr. old grandson. Very nice .

Very nice and well maintained.

Great trail. I’ve lived here all my life and never really knew about it. Nice and shady with dirt/sand trail that goes by a pond and there are creeks along the way. They were dry when we went through because it’s been awhile since we’ve had any rain. We took our dogs on a hot Saturday and no one else was on this particular traill. The dogs were able to cool off in the water in a couple of spots. We’ll definitely go back.

Very good hike for Cub Scouts and younger kids. Trails are easy to hike and well maintained. Visit the Nature Center as well for the kids.

Orange trail is a great, interesting 1.5 mile loop. It’s well marked, has scenic views of the lake/pond, and has great topography for the area.

Tue May 07 2019

Great park and clean trails. I also liked they have several trail options. We did see a snake cross the trail we were on but other than that nothing out the norm. The lake was nice.

Sat Apr 20 2019

Fri Apr 19 2019

White Trail is paved, shaded and well-marked. Terrain is up and down but the climbs are moderate. Benches are well-placed along the trail.

Thu Apr 18 2019

Sun Mar 10 2019

Hiking w/Leslie.

Sun Feb 17 2019

Nice trail!

Sun Jan 20 2019

Great wooded trail both people and dogs will enjoy. Goes right along a lake; although you’ll see some houses too.

My friends car got robbed but besides that it was a decent park.

Wed Jan 02 2019

Love the trails but the dog owners think it's apparently okay to leave lots of slack and let their dogs take over the majority of the path while jumping up on runners. It is very frustrating, demotivating and rude.

Tue Jan 01 2019

I walk my dogs here all the time, and also play at the dog park. They have a ton of fun every time we come here! Also it's pretty nicely kept up. However, recently I had a WIldlife Benefit to attend at the shelter (I'm a conservationist) and one of our raptor ladies had their mothers car broken into. Apparently this is a regular occurrence here, so be careful. She was followed to the park. I personally have not had this experience, and I am here a lot more often than she is. I will be watching out from now on. -1 star for the theft, -1 star for thefts being a regular occurrence.

Thu Sep 13 2018

One of the best parks I have been to. Something for everyone!

Fri Jul 06 2018

Great trail. Paved so great for strollers and families. Quite a few elevation changes that gives you that extra challenge especially if you’re running it. It’s completely covered in trees so it helps keep the sun off of you. So peaceful, one of my favorites.

Sun Jul 01 2018

Different trails and options to lengthen or shorten your trip. Shaded so easy to take a nice walk on a hot summer day.

Sun Mar 25 2018

Love this park. Has lots of paved trails as well as easily navigated natural trails through the woods. There are amenities for lots of different activities.