EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Rock Castle Gorge Loop

Rock Castle Gorge Loop is a 10.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Floyd, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

fly fishing

The trail is great for hiking and normally takes a full day. This hike is very strenuous, since most of the hike when done clockwise gains in elevation and offers views, forests, waterfalls, and wildlife. The trail is primarily used for camping, fly fishing, hiking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round depending on conditions. There are demanding climbs, gentle hiking through meadows on top of the ridge and some steep descents. You will see an old Appalachian Trail shelter, the chimney of an old homestead and then the historic Austin House beside Rock Castle Creek. There are multiple places to start this hike along the Blue Ridge Parkway.

it was extremely hard, but had absolutely beautiful view's.

Steep climb to start! Pasture land to cross (sadly, no bulls or cattle in the field), water to hear roaring and gurgling for a good bit of the descent, and some overlooks to take in along the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Beautiful trail with a great personality. You'll see creeks, fields, and amazing views from the overlooks on the parkway! Turned out to actually be 11 miles.

Great hike.

Really great trail. Lots of things to see! I hiked this one clockwise. Either way you choose (Clockwise or Counterclockwise) you will end up with a pretty tough incline at the end of your trip.

I went end of January on a Saturday morning. The pastures we nice and open and none of the passages were to hard to navigate even with a small dog. There was a little foot traffic to at least give you the sense you weren't alone. Really enjoyed the scenic views! Worth the Hike!

This is the second time this year I am doing this loop. First time I left my car on the Blue Ridge and went clockwise. Coming back to the car with the long climbing was quite painful... So the second time, I left my car at the Rock Castle Gorge Rd (right after the CC Camp lane), and I did the loop anti-clockwise. Much better for my legs! Once near by the Rocky Knob, I could stop for a while, relax, have a good lunch ...and start the second part of the loop in good shape! Well, this is specially true when you are 60++, Before, you can enjoy it either way!

The Castle Gorge Trail/Loop was excellent!:)…10.8 miles……..I parked at the Gorge and went counter-clockwise, going up the steep accent first while my legs where fresh and that’s the best way to do it as most of the second half of the trail was going down. I took my time and stopped to eat and enjoy, it took me 9H15M, very nice and beautiful…….I will return and do it again and take even longer to enjoy the endless streams and water-falls. I did see bear poop, so beware and keep your eyes open.

Rock castle gorge is a great trail with great views, lots of history, and a fun challenge. You can start at the top and see the grand views first, work your way through cow pastures down to the Gorge. Or you can start at the Gorge, where primitive camp sites are offered, and work your way to the grand views. Either way you will leave feeling very accomplished.

Thursday, March 17, 2016

fly fishing
Friday, March 11, 2016

Trail closed March 2016 due to flood damage

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Loved it. Pretty easy trial, though we needed to have printed directions because we somehow missed the loop and just retraced our steps back down.

Thursday, September 03, 2015

We did the full Rock Castle Gorge loop, starting from the bottom at the trailhead off SR 605. Be sure to do this counter-clockwise. Right after the sharp right not far from the parking lot, the trail gets very steep- about 1100 feet of gain in a little more than a mile (20%). Hiking clockwise you'd get that as a tough descent on tired legs. Once the climbing is out of the way, you'll reach the Rocky Knob area on the Blue Ridge Parkway. This area opens up as a meadow, leading to a couple of miles of spectacular views. You could also start the hike here from any of the overlook parking areas. The descent from the ridge is much longer. It follows Rock Castle Creek much of the way, making it an interesting trek through the trees. You'll pass through a couple of boulder fields, too. The trail finishes by following an old fire road, so the hiking is easier.
This trail has it all - climbs, views, creeks. The variety helps the miles pass quickly. It gets my highest compliment: I can't wait to do it again.

Friday, August 14, 2015