Rock Castle Gorge Loop

Rock Castle Gorge Loop is a 10.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Floyd, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trail is great for hiking and normally takes a full day. This hike is very strenuous, since most of the hike when done clockwise gains in elevation and offers views, forests, waterfalls, and wildlife. The trail is primarily used for camping, fly fishing, hiking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round depending on conditions. There are demanding climbs, gentle hiking through meadows on top of the ridge and some steep descents. You will see an old Appalachian Trail shelter, the chimney of an old homestead and then the historic Austin House beside Rock Castle Creek. There are multiple places to start this hike along the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Clockwise route seemed to be the best but was a rough climb back out to the top.

Great trail

Definitely a tough hike... especially when you go clockwise. If you plan to hike the whole loop, make sure you get your bearings and go counter clockwise. It was a beautiful hike, however, the cow pasture near the two overlooks isn’t super well marked, just a heads up, but the rest of the trail was phenomenal

Excellent hike.

Great, challenging trail. I recommend running it counter-clockwise. Direction is less important for hiking. The descent when traveling clockwise is extremely steep and technical - more so than the descent when traveling counterclockwise. So you will be able to run more and hike less traveling counterclockwise. There is also a bit of route-finding in the pastures, especially the one closest to the campground. Doable, and easy to find again if you lose it - the trail stays pretty close to the fence line next to the Parkway.

A beautiful hike with lots of different things to see! Loved the huge rocks, old growth forests, the fence stiles were neat, the pastures and scenery were absolutely beautiful. However, this was the wrong hike to choose for your first. We went counter-clockwise as recommended for the easiest trip and it was still very hard. We couldn’t find the entrance and still don’t know where it is. We saw it on the hike but never on the Parkway. We started across the road from the information station. It was very easy hiking for about 5 miles then straight up a mountain for almost 2 miles! Getting to the top of the mountain is an awesome feeling. It is very long and strenuous but we would definitely do it again just not as first time hikers. Definitely recommend to experienced hikers or even first time hikers that are in great shape.

Love this hike!

This hike has it all. Strenuous climbs, open pastures, woods, streams, views, and even an original AT shelter. I would suggest starting at the bottom of the gorge and getting the hardest climb out of the way at the beginning.

I liked it but I'm not sure if I'll do it again.

Rock Castle Gorge loop trail is 10.8 miles long and strenuous. The hardest part of the trail is the 3 miles between the primitive campground on the valley floor and the BRP campground. I advise taking this into account when planning your hike. The guys who recorded banging this trail out in 4 hours are monsters. It took me 6 and was pretty dog gone tough. I finished going up the steepest section last and it was hard. Best trail in the area imo.

it was extremely hard, but had absolutely beautiful view's.

Steep climb to start! Pasture land to cross (sadly, no bulls or cattle in the field), water to hear roaring and gurgling for a good bit of the descent, and some overlooks to take in along the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Beautiful trail with a great personality. You'll see creeks, fields, and amazing views from the overlooks on the parkway! Turned out to actually be 11 miles.

Great hike.

Really great trail. Lots of things to see! I hiked this one clockwise. Either way you choose (Clockwise or Counterclockwise) you will end up with a pretty tough incline at the end of your trip.

I went end of January on a Saturday morning. The pastures we nice and open and none of the passages were to hard to navigate even with a small dog. There was a little foot traffic to at least give you the sense you weren't alone. Really enjoyed the scenic views! Worth the Hike!

Monday, November 07, 2016

This is the second time this year I am doing this loop. First time I left my car on the Blue Ridge and went clockwise. Coming back to the car with the long climbing was quite painful... So the second time, I left my car at the Rock Castle Gorge Rd (right after the CC Camp lane), and I did the loop anti-clockwise. Much better for my legs! Once near by the Rocky Knob, I could stop for a while, relax, have a good lunch ...and start the second part of the loop in good shape! Well, this is specially true when you are 60++, Before, you can enjoy it either way!

Monday, September 26, 2016

The Castle Gorge Trail/Loop was excellent!:)…10.8 miles……..I parked at the Gorge and went counter-clockwise, going up the steep accent first while my legs where fresh and that’s the best way to do it as most of the second half of the trail was going down. I took my time and stopped to eat and enjoy, it took me 9H15M, very nice and beautiful…….I will return and do it again and take even longer to enjoy the endless streams and water-falls. I did see bear poop, so beware and keep your eyes open.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Rock castle gorge is a great trail with great views, lots of history, and a fun challenge. You can start at the top and see the grand views first, work your way through cow pastures down to the Gorge. Or you can start at the Gorge, where primitive camp sites are offered, and work your way to the grand views. Either way you will leave feeling very accomplished.

Friday, March 11, 2016