River and Matildaville Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Great Falls, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

$10 entrance fee

Beautiful trail, not too crowded. Lots of places to rest with a view off to the sides. Past Sandy Landing there are some cool little beaches to explore.

Great falls and lot of rocks to climb. Nice views!!

Loved this place. River trail is moderate, not highly difficult. Great hike to make you sweat! Park seems pet and family friendly.

Great views of the potomac! The ruins of The Company House and the locks stirs your imagination how the canal was in those days. Awesome hike/walk!

Lovely trail! It’s fairly easy, with a couple rock scrambles and inclines to keep things interesting but easy stretches in between. Definitely doable for a beginner, there were all skill levels hiking when I was there. Gorgeous overlooks onto the river, and plenty of historial interest. Only drawback was that it was too populated for any of the wildlife to be out and about, but this trail is more about the scenery.

pretty easy trail to follow.

Sunday, September 24, 2017

My 5 year old son and I had a great time. We started on the Matildaville Trail. It helps to be handy with a map to find the beginning of the trail but once you're on it it's a pretty easy hike to start with. The ruins of the old town are definitely the highlight there. We looped back on the River Trail which was a tougher hike but manageable. My son especially loved the spots where you could climb over a couple rocks and get a good view of the river. Overall we hiked about 3.5 miles and we both had a great time. We'll definitely come back!

Thursday, August 03, 2017

I loved it. Great workout after climbing on some of the stones.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

My go-to is the Great Falls Loop trail, but this is a good alternative if I'm short on time or with a new hiker. This still takes you along the River Trail (my favorite) with its Potomac views and rocky terrain, but returns via the peaceful canopied Matildaville Trail. If you're looking for a casual, but somewhat substantive hike while visiting the park, this is the one. It's my usual recommendation for first-timers. In general, just avoid the Old Carriage Road as it is just that: a gravel road.

Thursday, May 04, 2017

A good evening workout with all the rock scramble. A quarter mile stretch is very steep where all the elevation is concentrated. Most of the trails in Great Falls gets crowded on a good weekend, go on a weekday evening to have a good time. It should take less than 2 hours to complete it at a decent pace.

Saturday, September 23, 2017