River and Matildaville Trail

River and Matildaville Trail is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Great Falls, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

pretty easy trail to follow.

My 5 year old son and I had a great time. We started on the Matildaville Trail. It helps to be handy with a map to find the beginning of the trail but once you're on it it's a pretty easy hike to start with. The ruins of the old town are definitely the highlight there. We looped back on the River Trail which was a tougher hike but manageable. My son especially loved the spots where you could climb over a couple rocks and get a good view of the river. Overall we hiked about 3.5 miles and we both had a great time. We'll definitely come back!

I loved it. Great workout after climbing on some of the stones.

My go-to is the Great Falls Loop trail, but this is a good alternative if I'm short on time or with a new hiker. This still takes you along the River Trail (my favorite) with its Potomac views and rocky terrain, but returns via the peaceful canopied Matildaville Trail. If you're looking for a casual, but somewhat substantive hike while visiting the park, this is the one. It's my usual recommendation for first-timers. In general, just avoid the Old Carriage Road as it is just that: a gravel road.

A good evening workout with all the rock scramble. A quarter mile stretch is very steep where all the elevation is concentrated. Most of the trails in Great Falls gets crowded on a good weekend, go on a weekday evening to have a good time. It should take less than 2 hours to complete it at a decent pace.