Your session expired, please sign in again to continue.

Riprap Trail

Riprap Trail is a 9.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Crimora, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

I loved this hike! The southern portion of this trail is probably the most taxing- I had the most water breaks here as the grade gets a little steep. Overall there were some amazing views and a great swimming hole I want to enjoy when I’m better prepared next time! Didn’t see any bears but there were some fresh Poo-berries all up and down the trail, so I know they are around!

Lovely hike with lots of variety. Deep, dark, and cool forest glenns with magnificent ferns. Hillsides full of native rhododendron, azaleas, and mountain laurel (I’d love to take this walk in June). Hot, sunny passages through sandy terrain where blueberries were ripening along the path. Stands of pine trees with needle-covered paths (so comfortable for walking). Stream crossings, a swimming hole, and several spectacular views. It wasn’t terribly busy on a beautiful July day. There were some strenuous sections—we took the Wildcat Ridge trail uphill at the end to our car, which we parked in the lot at mile marker 92, and I was pretty tired. There’s also a fair amount of uneven, rocky trail that requires careful attention.

Started at Riprap trailhead and went clockwise because I like hitting all the good spots near the end of the hike. It was good to get the AT section out of the way first.
Riprap completely lived up to my expectations. Absolutely loved this hike, and I’m already thinking about when to go again. Perfect distance, hearty elevation change that isn’t draining, refreshing water (bring a bathing suit!!), and gorgeous views. I can’t recommend this trail enough!

Very boring not much too see.

Riprap loop, with a bit of it done twice thanks to a brief thunderstorm that had me retreating from the ridge line to backtrack and start again going clockwise. Great hike, and requires far less time than stated here (and certainly less than the 8.25hrs the Park Service clocks it at). If it hadn’t been for the extra three miles, I could’ve come in right around the 3hr mark.

The highlights of the trail were all in the middle. The beginning and end of the hike was not enjoyable.

Great hike. We did get lost at one point extending the hike by a mile or too; saw a bear (who wasn't very afraid) and at one point had trouble passing a very large hornet's nest handing mid trail. Made it all the more exciting however!

One of my favorite trails in the area. Gorgeous little swimming hole. Splendid views towards the end (or beginning depending on which way you hike). Could spend all day by the water on this hike on a hot summer day. Water is definitely a bit nipply tho.

Oustanding trail! Did the loop clockwise in 2 days so we could have Chimney Rock to look forward to at the end. Multiple water crossing that will even get experinced hikers boots wet, bring extra socks :)

beautiful!

If you're not in pretty good cardiovascular shape (guilty), this trail can be challenging. The last leg of it is uphill (climbing out of the beautiful gorge) the whole time. The rest is moderate. This trail offers a lot of variety of views, moss and lichen covered rocks, plenty of woods etc.

Excellent day trail.

Great views. Watch out for bears.

Lots of leaves on the trail when I went. Be careful of your footing.

A beautiful saunter on a crisp day. Lots of nature and a couple of great views to enjoy.

2 or maybe 2.5! There are very few clear sections of visibility (other than the cliffs for about 500 feet. The “waterfall” is less than 2 feet although it’s part of a nice book. Pleasant and it parallels Skyline Drive for part of the hike so you hear the cars. Much better views are available on Skyline drive and other hikes!

About a 14 mike loop. Tough but beautiful hike.

Calvary rock has an amazing view. The rest of it kind of goes down into a valley and doesn’t have big grand overviews but it is still a beautiful hike. There’s even a swimming hole in the bottom of the valley with a small waterfall. I split this hike into two days just to spend some extra time outdoors. It was a good time and if you like the outdoors you should find this hike worth your while.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

This trail is the best. My boyfriend and my dog and I went clockwise and near the end were able to enjoy the stream that lead us to the natural pool. It was so hot until you got to the stream and we had to ration our water because we didn't bring a filter. There was a lot of foot traffic on this beautiful Saturday afternoon. We really took our time on the loop and we're able to enjoy the sunset at the summit. It took us about 7.5 hours and my walking app said we traveled 13miles total. I don't know if it was accurate. There were plenty of blueberries and blackberries side by side so be careful which ones you eat (I don't eat them at all). This app said the trail was dog friendly and mentioned nothing about leash laws. Although we let our dog hike without a leash, you are NOT allowed to have your dog off leash. Even though this trail is very narrow and at times too steep for a leashed dog. All in all I had a wonderful day.

Shenandoah Entrance Fee: $25 for 7 day pass
I did not find the camping permit location but several people were camping at the bottom of the trail near the stream.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

We did it the reverse way and enjoyed having the views at the end.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Fun hike. We did it clockwise so we hiked the AT & Widcat Ridge portion first. This section was mostly uphill but at a very gradual ascent. There wasn't much to see or do and the trail was very narrow (throughout the entire hike). None the less it was a nice hike through the woods (we went clockwise to do this part first and save the waterhole and views for the end). We did pass some hikers that encountered a bear and a rattlesnake not far from we were but we didn't see either. The swimming hole was refreshing on the hot day and the view points were a nice place to chill for awhile. Some steep uphill climbs to get to those views but it was worth it.

Friday, May 05, 2017

even my kids made it to water hole and back

Friday, April 14, 2017

Views, stream crossings, swimming hole, dog-friendly, well marked, what's not to love?

Friday, April 14, 2017

Walked this trail in april. Trail was moderate . At summit you reach rocks that you can sit out on and get a great view from. Wasnt anyone on trail when we were there. Very enjoyable trail.

Thursday, April 06, 2017

This trail is gorgeous! Went for a mid-day hike, began at noon and finished around 5:30-6:00. We went left at the trailhead and enjoyed the gentle hills for the first stretch of the trail. When we turned right onto (wildcat?) trail, the descent became much steeper and we were met with a beautiful creek at the foot of the mountain. The creek is perfect for cooling one's feet and filling up water bottles (I am not condoning this practice but a through hiker told us it was a good spot to rehydrate). The trail continues alongside the creek for a few miles and the views are extraordinary. The swimming hole is crystal clear and FREEZING, but we jumped in nonetheless. The final ascent is moderately steep, but the multiple overlooks along the way kept my group motivated. It is rather windy at the top so bring a sweatshirt for optimal warmth while enjoying the views. From the final overlook it was a bit over a mile back to the trailhead. HIGHLY recommend this hike for any group of moderately fit hikers.

Saturday, March 11, 2017

Strenuous, great diversity of creekside hiking to views of the valley. A decent amount of elevation gain/loss, so strap up and grip it and rip it!

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

I loved it there it's. a nice place to go

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

First off this trail is actually 9.8 miles. Whomever added this must not have recorded the whole loop. That said, it is a great day hike. We started off counter clockwise to Calvary Rock. The almost 60-foot scramble to the top is well worth the 360 degree views, then on to Chimney Rock and the downhill trek to a small waterfall and a swimming hole. The water was a tad bit cold .. but nice to soak the feet in for a few minutes. If you are brave, as my companion was, you can even take a plunge into the waters (I have video - it's hilarious - LOL!) The climb back up is definitely challenging. Definitely recommend!

Saturday, September 24, 2016

start from the bottom and it's an easy hike for all ages

Saturday, September 03, 2016

One of the best loops in Shenandoah. Good distance, variety, and views. If you're only doing one decent hike in the south park, this is the one I'd do.